Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 104

Author Topic: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED  (Read 287180 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - ALPHA RELEASED
« Reply #675 on: May 20, 2015, 04:18:31 pm »

Hm. How do I use a datajack? It says melee but when I bump into a bot it just rams them.

Do I need a utility system to go along with it? I haven't read much about hacking yet, I prefer to figure some of this out myself.

It's a 'attack', - just like hammers and axes. So move up next to the target, and have the jack active (and other weapons inactive), and the 'hit chance' you see when left clicking the target is the 'hack chance'.
hm, alright I'll try again next time I find one. :) Thanks

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: May 20, 2015, 05:09:05 pm »

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

THE PASSWORD TO MY GRANDMOTHER ACCOUNT WONT WORK! SHES NOT HOME TO GET IT RIGHT! MY CELL PHONE IS BROKE AND KYZ IS NOT ONLINE TO RESPOND TO MY REQUEST OF SENDING IT TO MY EMAIL! WHY CANT THINGS JUST WORK RIGHT?! (face desk)
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: May 20, 2015, 05:12:28 pm »

I think my favorite part of the experience so far is how quickly your playstyle can change after the screws hit the fan. I was running three flight units and a cannon off of a nuclear reactor. With backup pulse rifles and ion engines on hand, I was feeling pretty good about my chances, but on level three I retreated from a patrol into a dead-end room with some guards in it. The ensuing shootout destroyed all of my flight units and pretty much everything but a backup rifle, and after picking up all the pieces I was a terminator-esque pile of treads and heavy assault rifles.

Next level I destroyed a pair of swarmer patrols and got all my flight units back, but still.

EDIT:
Just died. I ran out of matter by being a bit overzealous with the grenade launchers I found, and unable to fire ended up gathering a trail of pursuers. I found the exit and tried to go up, but the game kindly informed me that the Caves branch hadn't been added yet. Loosing parts and unable to attach any backups, I desperately fled until I found an exit with a Defender parked on top. After ramming it off of the staircase, I tried to go up, but it was another unavailable branch and I got killed by the Defender when I tried to flee. Guess that's what I get for playing the alpha.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 05:46:35 pm by Ruludos »

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: May 20, 2015, 06:54:10 pm »

You were able to equip 3 flight units? Are there upgrades you can get to increase your cap of certain parts?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #679 on: May 20, 2015, 06:56:28 pm »

You were able to equip 3 flight units? Are there upgrades you can get to increase your cap of certain parts?
You upgrade each time you move up to a new level

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: May 20, 2015, 06:58:08 pm »

-twitch- well....-after changing the password -twitch- twice.

I managed to -twitch- copy the link and send it to myself.

-twitch- I had to do this because, surprise, my computer hates Hotmail -twitch-

now.....after all this stress. the five MB game is downloading......-twitch-

estimated time to completion- 3hr 8 min 10 sec -twitch-

oh look....its been five mins and it has not changed at all

-twitch, twitch-

and now it says it was interrupted.....-twitch-

now its restarted the download. estimated time, 1 hour.

-twitch-

kzy, if this game is not worth it.........

well.... I would say I would murderize you but im the one that insist on stressing my self out trying to get it

..............................................................1 hour 38 mins......its stuck again....

1%

...................................................................DISHNET IT IS A FIVE MEGABITE FILE! SCREW YOU!
yes. once you leave the scrapyard that's level one.  every level you ascend you get to evolve. adding more slots.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 20, 2015, 07:08:34 pm »

Draxis is correct, larger font sizes aren't accessible when they won't fit the UI on the screen. It must show a minimum 80x60 grid, so the game chooses the optimal (largest) possible font for you. I do want to add new text fonts which won't be thematic, but will be easier to read, for those who need it. Would this help you? To have a less stylish, more traditional DOS-like font?

I do have a larger monitor, but I am using a laptop until I can find somewhere to live.  Probably by the time you have added additional fonts, I will be using my desktop to play, and the current font will most likely be preferable in that situation.

Another question, I found a field recycling unit, it took 2 utility slots and was supposed to break down damaged parts in my inventory, however I didn't notice anything happening, even when picking up badly damaged (red) parts.  How does it function?

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #682 on: May 21, 2015, 01:57:38 am »

I desperately fled until I found an exit with a Defender parked on top. After ramming it off of the staircase, I tried to go up, but it was another unavailable branch and I got killed by the Defender when I tried to flee. Guess that's what I get for playing the alpha.
Note that during alpha you can tell if a branch is unavailable because the stairs will glow.

Regardless, I have an idea from this. It will affect the balance of the game and make it easier to reach the surface, but I think it will be worth it to avoid annoying people: Make all unconnected branch exits instead lead up to the next level. What do you guys think?

@endlessblaze. I was (finallly) asleep when you were having trouble the second (third? =p) time. Responded to you when I got up a while back, but I guess you were gone by then. The game is so tiny... let me know if you still can't finish downloading!

Another question, I found a field recycling unit, it took 2 utility slots and was supposed to break down damaged parts in my inventory, however I didn't notice anything happening, even when picking up badly damaged (red) parts.  How does it function?
I must ask the obvious question: Was it active? If so, it just takes time. It won't recycle every turn or anything like that. Bigger components take longer to break down and give you more matter. Just leave it running in the background. You can even turn it off and on again later and it will pick up where it left off (I believe...).
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 21, 2015, 06:52:58 am »

I desperately fled until I found an exit with a Defender parked on top. After ramming it off of the staircase, I tried to go up, but it was another unavailable branch and I got killed by the Defender when I tried to flee. Guess that's what I get for playing the alpha.
Note that during alpha you can tell if a branch is unavailable because the stairs will glow.

Regardless, I have an idea from this. It will affect the balance of the game and make it easier to reach the surface, but I think it will be worth it to avoid annoying people: Make all unconnected branch exits instead lead up to the next level. What do you guys think?

Are the unavailable stairs branches that are yet to be implemented or do they signify something different? Note that I just found out today that this was in EA and I haven't tried the game yet :P

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #684 on: May 21, 2015, 08:42:03 am »

Well, EA started just a few days ago, so you're not exactly late to anything, but I know what you mean ;)

Unavailable stairs are branches that have yet to be implemented. You start finding them in the mid- and late-game. Early branches were added before launching alpha because the early game has smaller main complex levels and therefore needed to be fleshed out a little more. There's plenty more mid/late-game content so the branches weren't needed just yet. Those later branches will also be quite deep and much more involved than the early ones.

If you hack terminals you can actually differentiate branch entrances from stairs--they'll be shown as doors instead. There are also sometimes other indicators that tell you it's a branch exit.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #685 on: May 21, 2015, 09:03:31 am »

There are also sometimes other indicators that tell you it's a branch exit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #686 on: May 21, 2015, 09:55:09 am »

Like that... and some much less benign ones later on ;)

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 21, 2015, 10:15:06 am »

Thank you for the reply. I don't think it's necessary; now that I know how to tell an unconnected stair from a real one I won't encounter that problem again. Maybe you could just make it a bit more obvious until the late-game branches get added in.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 21, 2015, 12:29:44 pm »

I've had the same problem with endangering myself to rush for stairs that don't exist. I'd second the request to make it more obvious. It'd be better if they didn't look like stairs at all, because from the player's perspective they aren't.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 21, 2015, 01:12:01 pm »

I think he brought up the possibility of removing the entrance to these branches altogether in reddit, which seems like best way to solve this problem without affecting balance.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 104