Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 104

Author Topic: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED  (Read 285178 times)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED
« on: September 23, 2013, 08:41:31 pm »

Originally a 7-day roguelike that thrived for a time on the Bay 12 forum in 2012, Cogmind has being given new life by Grid Sage Games. For those who don't know me, I'm the lead dev (okay, the only dev, but I do contract out a little bit of the work).

The game has entered beta development, with early access available from the website. Progress is also recorded on the dev blog (and usually in this thread, too).

[ Alpha Launch Trailer ]

Here's a quick overview (this post will continue to be updated with more information):

What is Cogmind?
A science fiction-themed traditional roguelike in which you play a robot that builds itself from components found or salvaged from other robots.

Gameplay
  • While exploring the world you find (or take) power sources, propulsion units, utilities, and weapons, and attach them to yourself to create a slow tank bristling with weapons, or a fast-moving flyer zipping past enemies before they even have time to react, or a stealthy sword-wielding assassin bot, or whatever else you can come up with from the salvage you find. The game can quickly change as you lose components and your loadout changes.
  • Action is turn-based but you don't have "action points" per se; instead, every action takes a certain amount of time, and robots that can perform actions more quickly can continue to due so until another robot is ready to act.
  • Combat is optional if you can avoid it, and there is no grinding for XP since the game rewards you for simply reaching new areas.
  • While not fighting/sneaking, you can find/construct allies, hack machines, manipulate your enemies, and explore the story through terminals spread throughout the complex.

Parts
  • Power Sources: Engines, power cores, and reactors supply the power necessary to run other systems.
  • Propulsion: Treads, legs, wheels, and hover/flight units enable a robot to move more quickly (multiple types can be attached, though only a single category can be active at a time).
  • Utilities: Special devices, processors, storage units, and protective gear that provide a wide range of benefits.
  • Weapons: Guns, cannons, launchers, and a variety of melee weapons.

Resources
  • Energy: Generated by the core and power sources; necessary for moving, firing energy-based weapons, and sustaining the operation of some utility systems.
  • Matter: Salvaged from robot remains; used to fuse components, and consumed by ballistic weapons and launchers as ammunition.

Notable Features
  • Dynamic character development without XP/grinding
  • Animated interface
  • Thousands of ASCII particle and sound effects
  • Nine different animated endings to uncover
  • Full mouse and keyboard support for all commands
  • Drag-drop support for mouse
  • Fully destructible terrain
  • ASCII art

General Feature List
Many of these are a given for anyone familiar with roguelikes, but I'll list them here for completeness.
  • Resource management
  • Inventory and equipment system
  • Item identification system (for a subset of powerful items)
  • Fog of war
  • Several damage types each with unique properties/effects
  • Simple yet dynamic combat system
  • Multiple AI behaviors
  • Numerous items, special abilities, and enemies
  • Permadeath
  • Autosave/load on exit/startup
  • Large randomly generated maps
  • Turn-based action
  • Single player
  • All units use the same ruleset as the player
  • Score output to an external file, with detailed statistics

More Information

For reference the old 7DRL thread can be found here.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 04:17:07 am by Kyzrati »
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike in development)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 09:20:09 pm »

Watching this one with interest.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 11:15:08 pm »

To quote the bard:  Bangin'

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 02:11:27 am »

So, it is happening !

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 02:29:53 am »

New thread eh?

PTW.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 03:29:42 am »

This is gonna be massive.....

Eagerly awaiting something playable.....

Geddonwithit, Kyzrati, mush!    [/jk]
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 04:38:12 am »

PTW.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 11:25:54 am »

Sounds nifty!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 12:04:57 pm »

Oh god oh god oh god !

You're getting back to Cogmind ?!? ._.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 05:42:14 am »

asdgsdggfg

What is it with the Other Games forum recently? There's been this influx of pretty interesting stuff in the works, and then there have been a bunch of stuff that's shouting "THIS IS TOO INTERESTING NOT TO PLAY" and "BE PREPARED TO HAVE NO TIME DOING ANYTHING ELSE" at me.

Anyway, I saw your previous Cogmind thread and was interested but didn't want to get into it then because... I make bad decisions? I don't know.
But now that there will be more stuff, I am excitebiked. PTW.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 07:26:12 am »

I didn't know excitebiked was a word.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 07:42:18 am »

It is now.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 04:43:22 pm »

Working hard on making this happen, guys.

Last of three "introductory posts" is up before we really get started. (Next post will cover guided weapons and other fun things.)

As you'll see in the post, the route I've taken on development means the game is technically already playable, but it's just new features/mechanics being tacked onto a buffed up prototype. None of the content has changed yet, nor will it until a majority of the features are in place. Future posts will start including gifs and screenshots of new features, though with placeholder content.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 08:22:33 pm »

First post covering real new features is up: Guided weapons, salvos, and overloading!

The idea that you could overload energy weapons was originally suggested on Bay 12 during 7DRL development. Seems a nice tactical option to have. Guided weapons and salvos are straight from X@COM. (You'll see a lot of that during future development--borrowing techniques and features from X@COM, while some new features from Cogmind will eventually find their way back into X@COM where appropriate.)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 05:30:40 pm »

An overview of how the original GUI is being updated, first stage to the new and improved interface: Building a Better UI

This and one more post will be about "non-gameplay" elements, then I'll be going into things like robots, machines, and melee combat.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 104