Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 104

Author Topic: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED  (Read 285139 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike in development)
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 06:47:19 pm »

Yeah! I'm totally down for this! Will out built 'borg buddies be customizable as the player-character is?

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 08:14:18 pm »

Not initially, no. I plan on going with set builds for them at first.

This and other features will be expanded based on player demand once a playable alpha is released. There will likely be some voting for features to gauge what the majority prefers, so customizable allies, or even allies that customize themselves from salvaged parts, may become possible.

There will be a future post discussing the basic implementation of allies.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 08:20:16 pm »

Oh.

This still seems pretty awesome though!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 04:03:25 pm »

PTW.

Though I do find it strange that overloading weaponry results in the same damage/ power ratio, and only produces extra heat.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 04:36:15 pm »

I mainly did that to keep it simple, so it's easy to calculate in your head and applies the same way across all applicable weapons. What would you suggest?

The only variable part of the equation is a given weapon's "stability," so the player can focus on only that as the primary difference between overloadable weapons. I want overloading to be more powerful, but also have 1) extra cost (naturally), hence the energy and heat and 2) have seriously dangerous drawbacks that are unlikely if you don't abuse it, but *will* happen sooner or later. So when it goes unstable the weapon could meltdown, short circuit other parts, cause core damage, etc.

I haven't even tested it in terms of balance, since I'm not working on content right now; those were the multipliers that I put in for later.

Feel free to offer opinions/input on this or any other feature during development!
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 04:44:45 pm »

I'd like to make a suggestion, but this already looks pretty perfect.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 04:48:06 pm »

Haha, thanks. You already did inadvertently "suggest" the ability to customize your allies ;)
We'll see later on if popular demand turns that into a priority, but first I have to finish the core game!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2013, 11:50:08 am »

I mainly did that to keep it simple, so it's easy to calculate in your head and applies the same way across all applicable weapons. What would you suggest?

The only variable part of the equation is a given weapon's "stability," so the player can focus on only that as the primary difference between overloadable weapons. I want overloading to be more powerful, but also have 1) extra cost (naturally), hence the energy and heat and 2) have seriously dangerous drawbacks that are unlikely if you don't abuse it, but *will* happen sooner or later. So when it goes unstable the weapon could meltdown, short circuit other parts, cause core damage, etc.
I expected it to use slightly more than 2 times the energy, to illustrate less efficiency. (And explaining where the heat comes from).

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2013, 05:15:27 pm »

Certainly makes sense, but then "slightly more" will end up being a decimal, since 3x would be rather expensive. Wonder if anyone will really care about the value being a decimal, since you can always see the resulting value automatically calculated for you.

Either way, I'll mark it down as something to factor in when I get to the weapon design part. (Also keep in mind that not *all* weapons can be overloaded--only energy weapons, and only a subset that supports it because they were built to allow it.)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2013, 06:06:37 pm »

Will weapons have like, different effects? Will chainsaws saw off weapons and pieces off your enemies? Will bludgeoning weapons have a chance of malfunctioning your enemies?

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2013, 06:26:40 pm »

Yep, I'll be covering that soon. You can sever parts with chainsaws (then use them yourself!), bash robots out of the way with a giant hammer, etc. Those mechanics have already been added.

Also, I just uploaded the last "uninteresting" post looking at general game options. Now if you've got the computing power and screen size you can even adjust the viewable map dimensions. Next I'll be introducing robots that take up more than one space.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2013, 08:44:33 pm »

Hey, I want an answer from a dev.
Why don't developers release a demo as soon as something is playable? I mean, even if there were no enemies or areas, I'd be happy if I could just stand on an open plane and shoot rockets around at nothing.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2013, 10:52:18 pm »

Why don't developers release a demo as soon as something is playable? I mean, even if there were no enemies or areas, I'd be happy if I could just stand on an open plane and shoot rockets around at nothing.
There's no money in it.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2013, 10:59:00 pm »

There's no money in it.

well considering (i think) this is a free game i dont even

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2013, 11:12:15 pm »

It's not about money, it's about image.

With any commercial product you have to be more careful about what people see and expect while it's in development. Releasing a demo before the experience is at least somewhat mature risks turning people off. It's all really annoying, honestly, but that's the way people and markets work. That said, Cogmind will be open to players who want to join the alpha testing for advance access to the game and help shape its future through suggestions.

The new Cogmind will unfortunately not be free because it's a much bigger production than the original 7DRL prototype.

I'd be happy if I could just stand on an open plane and shoot rockets around at nothing.
If you really really want to play now, you can always try out the prototype, which has been available free for the past year. (If you want to discuss the prototype, please do it in the old thread.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 104