Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 104

Author Topic: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED  (Read 285136 times)

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED
« Reply #1365 on: February 15, 2018, 02:36:01 pm »

As far as the price point goes, do you plan to lower the price once this leaves the 'beta' stage, or do you expect to release it at the same price?  I mean, I understand that after 5 years of development this game is a complete experience, but apparently you want to keep it at beta because you want to add more features.  I've read what you've written about regarding the price, and I respect your point of view, but I wonder when you believe you've passed the point of having to worry about "Too many players", or if you think that's already happened and thus reflected in the price being about 60% of the original release price?

Keep up the good work, it's great to see an independent dev succeeding out there, and I love the innovative approach you've taken with this game.  I've been following development with interest, I just can't justify buying the game for myself at the moment.  I'm sure I'll pick it up sooner or later though, it looks like a lot of fun.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1366 on: February 15, 2018, 05:36:56 pm »

Thanks! The base price will almost certainly remain the same--it's already reached the end of my intended trajectory after coming down 30% over the past few years, though eventually you can expect some steeper temporary discounts to make it more accessible. Right now I'm mainly just sticking to the occasional 10% off (like as of today it went on sale for the new Lunar New Year thing).
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1367 on: February 23, 2018, 08:48:42 pm »

Busy week!

I added a fourth type of map panning, of the RTS variety where you put the cursor against the edge of the screen.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But the biggest progress was made in the area of achievements... all 256 are now decided and listed in the game data, but still have to be implemented xD

I also did a mockup of the achievements UI, also still to be actually implemented...
I like it though, pretty and functional :D (Note that the icons don't actually match the achievements, and there are duplicate names--this is just a mockup so I wasn't worrying about everything being logical/perfect :P)

That's the latest one, where an earlier version was using my original darker version for locked/unknown achievement icons which I don't think looks quite as good in context? Not 100% sure...

At size 14 I also added an IBM VGA font for the map ASCII. Now there's some nostalgia!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 08:57:30 pm by Kyzrati »
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1368 on: March 16, 2018, 08:02:21 pm »

New achievement icons! This is the set for Style-related achievements.

If you didn't notice I also started another thread for a new game which just happens to be rather Cogmind-ish :P (but still very much its own thing--plays very differently, check it out!)

(More about that and what I've been up to in this week's update on Steam.)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: March 19, 2018, 08:40:20 am »

I swear, if there was a Steam achievement of "Taught lots of people how to manage a large long-term project", you have it Kyzrati.

So not really Cogmind related (sort of),  but are you thinking of any projects with the engine down the track, outside the 7drl? "Totally-Nothing-to-do-with-Xcom-@"? "Not-an-awesome-engine-for-a-Syndicate-roguelike-at-all-TM"?

Care to share? Or still just focusing on Cogmind for the next 3-6months?
It's a game. Have fun.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1370 on: March 19, 2018, 09:01:21 am »

Heh, I do enjoy some good project management :) (soon to finish writing my longest article ever, a massive POLYBOT-7 postmortem).

But yeah it's gonna be more than three months still! I really do need to wind it down eventually... it can only support me for so long before I start also eating too much into future dev funds :/

Hard to say exactly what will happen next, though. Those two ideas are without a doubt more than very enticing :P. For a larger project I might have to make Cogmind 2 first (which may not even feature Cogmind at all? :P), but right now I'm thinking I need to do a smaller project, which P7 was sort of test run for. Anyway, too early for even thinking about announcements, much less announcing them! I don't have specific medium-term goals yet since it depends on how well Cogmind does on "full release."

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: March 19, 2018, 09:25:13 am »

So, what you're saying is, it's time for peer-pressure, rather than bug reports and feature requests?

"Selected"

Dunna-nanna-nanna-nnanna.....
It's a game. Have fun.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1372 on: March 19, 2018, 09:38:23 am »

Hahaha... No, what I'm saying is it's time for someone with way too much money on their hands to just give me a ton of it so I can concentrate on cool niche stuff that probably a minority of us want but isn't necessarily financially viable so I can't do it on my own right now ;) (continuing X@COM in a serious capacity would be an example of this!)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: March 19, 2018, 01:05:39 pm »

I'll chuck in my lottery tickets and see what I can do. No guarantees....
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: March 19, 2018, 01:31:27 pm »

But still....  Give us the Syndicate game we deserve but don't want (until we realize that it's better than Batman. So F* him) . That's beside the minor fact that everyone wants a bitching Syndicate game,  and four man squads are way quicker and more engaging than true X@com style squads in the engine. Well, unless you go newCom1/2 style. Then it'd probably work. (hint hint Firaxis fellows).

Either or any way, it's a winner. I'd back it.

(Up adding brain to level3 cybernetics, to ensure lottery victory!)
It's a game. Have fun.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1375 on: March 19, 2018, 08:24:22 pm »

True, Syndicate-style would be faster, and that's something that more people can get into--you can see this trend in all the other X-Com-likes today (and there are a LOT of them...). Waaay too many cool ideas I'd like to do, and as soon as I started a big one 5+ years are gone in the blink of an eye :P. Kinda sucks!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: March 19, 2018, 08:53:28 pm »

Waaay too many cool ideas I'd like to do, and as soon as I started a big one 5+ years are gone in the blink of an eye :P. Kinda sucks!

Aaaaand thank you, for making us all painfully aware of the passage of time...

And it's six years, almost to the day, for those of us who picked it up during 7DRL: "The 2012 Seven Day Roguelike Challenge, 8th of its kind, will be held on the week of March 10th to March 18th."
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1377 on: March 19, 2018, 09:06:02 pm »

I know, that feels so... weird. I think about it occasionally, and it's nice to see that despite how long it's been a lot of the same crew are still around :)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1378 on: March 23, 2018, 07:22:16 pm »

A couple new sets of achievement icons:
Spoiler: Special Challenges (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Progress (click to show/hide)

I've also added Part 2 of my 7DRL postmortem to the blog, covering the first few days and work on core mechanics, the UI, and tileset concepts (it'll also be in the P7 thread in a bit--haven't gotten to it yet :P) Image excerpts included as part of the Steam update if you want to just see a few of the basic diagrams.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1379 on: March 30, 2018, 07:38:21 pm »

Another set of icons, this one for the events and plot-related achievements.
Almost finally done going through all these!
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 104