Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 104

Author Topic: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED  (Read 285160 times)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
Re: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED
« Reply #1380 on: March 31, 2018, 10:51:07 pm »

A wild Beta 5 Update suddenly appears!

There's a new automatic mode with... time-sensitive activation ;)

We know that sometimes all you really want to do is blow stuff up, so all items on the ground have been replaced by launchers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All those flight players who want to just sneak around and hack stuff? Psh, who needs subtlety when you can hit everything with 5 missiles at once? Just make sure you have a way to replenish your matter :P

Runs in this mode do not upload scores regardless of settings, and this mode only activates if past the tutorial quick start (i.e. have played 3-4 runs before already) and have no active Challenge Modes.

Note this new feature will not affect runs in progress. (Also: To start a run and force the game back to regular behavior, use the command line parameter "-noAFD".)
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1381 on: April 04, 2018, 09:16:06 pm »

I finished my POYLBOT-7 postmortem and put the entire 10,000-word 45-image/diagram article on Gamasutra! (They even have it featured on their front page right now :D)

I'm mentioning it here since it's quite relevant to Cogmind dev, not only due to the enhancements that came out of it but because it also explains a fair bit of how Cogmind is put together that it was able to be converted into another game in one week.

Dev image collage:
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1382 on: April 06, 2018, 08:10:07 pm »

And finally the final set of achievement icons!
Spoiler: Win-related icons (click to show/hide)
Most achievements have also been implemented now. And if you missed the 4/1 event maybe check out the SITREP :)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: April 13, 2018, 01:50:04 am »

I bought this last week and I'm having a lot of fun! The basic strategy guides in the forums were super helpful, I've gone --way-- further just by making sure not to fight in open spaces (which is something I should probably know having played so many roguelikes, but Cogmind is so novel I forget those skills are transferable!)

Just got to
which was super interesting, though I did wander around looking for a way past the gate for a long time before I finally Googled and figured out that the orange terminals are just used to lock off content that isn't completed yet.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1384 on: April 13, 2018, 02:02:05 am »

Hi quinnr, thanks and glad you're liking it :D

True there are a bunch of skills that aren't transferrable, which gets a lot of people, heh, but fortunately most enjoy it like that.

before I finally Googled and figured out that the orange terminals are just used to lock off content that isn't completed yet.
Note that you're pulling up old forum posts there--all world locations have been complete for the past year :P. Orange terminals are just those belonging to that particular faction, and the gate you mention is a little harder to get past. There are about four different possible ways to do it, but it's probably not something you want to fool around with yet anyway, since as per the warnings you'll receive it's a deadly place ;)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: April 13, 2018, 03:10:09 am »

Hi quinnr, thanks and glad you're liking it :D

True there are a bunch of skills that aren't transferrable, which gets a lot of people, heh, but fortunately most enjoy it like that.

before I finally Googled and figured out that the orange terminals are just used to lock off content that isn't completed yet.
Note that you're pulling up old forum posts there--all world locations have been complete for the past year :P. Orange terminals are just those belonging to that particular faction, and the gate you mention is a little harder to get past. There are about four different possible ways to do it, but it's probably not something you want to fool around with yet anyway, since as per the warnings you'll receive it's a deadly place ;)

Oh! Good to know, thanks for the heads-up. I'll stay far away for now, then! :P
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1386 on: April 13, 2018, 06:47:53 pm »

This week was surprised to suddenly see Cogmind pop up in an interview with Tarn and Zach! Looks like we picked up some more/new players there :D

All the achievements have been implemented so I'm finishing up the final UI work on that. All that's left is the main achievement interface (reminder: all achievements are available to both Steam and non-Steam players!). Some image excerpts from this week's STIREP:

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: April 16, 2018, 09:18:16 pm »

I'm getting better! I got as far as -4 once, and I might have gotten past except that I saw a chute trap and wanted to know what it did and jumped in.

After the first round of "CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH" hit sound effects I knew I made a terrible mistake.

Also I was surprised how far up the leaderboard I was when I looked. I guess a lot of people don't change from the default Anonymous?

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1388 on: April 16, 2018, 09:49:57 pm »

-4 is pretty decent, just reaching the depths where it starts getting really challenging ;)

Chute traps are actually fine! There are a number of reasons you might actually want to head in there, but yeah they do seem scary at first :D (of course they're less fine if you're not prepared for them and they suck you in by surprise, but they won't completely end you)

I haven't really checked per-player runs when it comes to anonymous records, though the full range of score sheets (including anonymous runs) is accessible from the bottom of the leaderboards. Just from a cursory look, a little more than half of runs are anonymous, with generally somewhat lower scores compared to named players. (Some of the high-scoring anonymous players not found on the leaderboards are also obviously cheating, so you have to ignore those :P)

The main reason you'd be higher up is that a lot of people just have trouble getting far without lowering the difficulty setting. So kudos!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: April 17, 2018, 09:14:00 am »

Cogmind has been pretty fun for me so far. I feel like Starscream in that one TF:A episode. Keep getting beaten down, reactivating, climbing up again. Still haven't got a clue what I'm doing (wrong), but slowly getting there.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1390 on: April 17, 2018, 07:24:42 pm »

Always the best to hear that players are enjoying it despite having trouble. Hopefully you'll get there :). One thing I plan to do is add some more early-game content (and actually a whole new map!) that should further spice up that part of the experience for players who are stuck there for longer.

In other news, I just posted a notice about plans for adding more Cogmind content without going the DLC route (I don't like DLC).

It involves a new faction :D

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: April 18, 2018, 01:46:22 am »

I like that despite the massive disparity in health and survivability you have compared to most other things in the early areas, the classic roguelike YASD still can and does happen.

At one point I wanted to look behind a big closed door to see if any more useful things were there. The terminal at the door proved uncooperative. The door proved impervious to advanced beam cannons. My obvious next thought was to go through the walls. The walls were a brighter color than I saw on previous floors, but I didn't pay attention to that at the time.

Off to the side next to the big door was a room with a pair of big explody reactors. i decided to get a head start on blasting my way through and fired a grenade launcher at them. The explosion cleared the walls and most of the way through the rock towards the chamber behind the door. I went into the gap and started firing.

By the time I realized neither my beam cannons nor my grenade launcher could blast through the walls on their own, a highly skilled team of engineers had already rebuilt the wall I destroyed. Leaving me in a slowly collapsing area of unstable rock. Oops.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: April 18, 2018, 01:50:38 am »

I'm not sure I like the idea of "more content if people write reviews".

Then again, doesn't seem that different from content for pre-orders and other promotions.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #1393 on: April 18, 2018, 02:05:20 am »

By the time I realized neither my beam cannons nor my grenade launcher could blast through the walls on their own, a highly skilled team of engineers had already rebuilt the wall I destroyed. Leaving me in a slowly collapsing area of unstable rock. Oops.
Hahaha, this happens usually just once to everyone who hasn't heard a story of it happening to someone else before xD

(Side note: ctrl-right-clicking on those bright walls can also show you their armor and resistances to help you figure out what it'll take--it's not as straightforward as right-clicking on other things because RMB on walls is more important as a way to enter targeting mode. Of course if you're using keyboard for input walls are inspected in the same way as anything else.)

I'm not sure I like the idea of "more content if people write reviews".

Then again, doesn't seem that different from content for pre-orders and other promotions.
The other option is to raise the price later on, but no need to go that far yet. Gotta pay for extra features somehow! Been working on this full time for five years now, and it can only support development for so long now that I'm heading into territory that's way beyond the primary scope.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: April 18, 2018, 08:23:56 am »

Hey Kyzrati - what's the ETA on the big achievements patch? I've actually been taking a break from the game, waiting for that to go in (it's silly, but with the patch seemingly just around the corner, I don't want to "waste" play time doing things that could be earning me achievements.)
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 104