Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have you read the provided background information?

Yes
A little
No
The what?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 137

Author Topic: Name Pending: A Toronto-set Worm-based Parahuman RP: Updated!  (Read 156277 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Name Pending: A Toronto-set Worm-based Parahuman RP: Updated!
« on: September 23, 2013, 09:02:34 pm »

We have a trope page now! Whoo!

For those of you who don't know, Worm is a web serial about Taylor Herbert, a normal (if shy) high school girl who happens to have gained the ability to control bugs and intends to become a superhero. (Thanks to dermonster for pointing this story out.)

An idea I've had for a while now is to set an RP in a setting similar to but different from wildbow's Brockton Bay. Recently, Unholy_Pariah (who I introduced to Worm through a convoluted route starting with wanting his ER character to be able to climb walls) and I were talking about Worm, and he mentioned that he wanted to play Roll to Super (a pretty-well-dead and somewhat out-of-control RtD of mine), except in Brockton Bay. I mentioned my idea to him; I decided to finally get around to it.

This game would center on a number of parahumans; I'd like five, but I can be fairly flexible. If a dozen signups come my way I'm taking the best five or so, but if only six or maybe seven signed up I'd take them all. They would all be in one city, but might be on different teams (unless this turned out to be impractical; I can imagine that running, say, the Wards, Undersiders, E88, ABB, New Wave, and Merchants at once for a PC in each would get unwieldy). Waitlisters would exist; when one PC died or something, another cape could take his/her place. I might even let additional waitlisters in if I was feeling generous.

Now, then. There are two things to consider: Your characters and the setting. If you want to join, please submit a character sheet and a Setting Suggestion Sheet.
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: SSS (click to show/hide)
Code: (Signup Sheet) [Select]
[b]Name[/b]
[u]Gender:[/u]
[u]Age:[/u]
[u]Description:[/u]

[u]Personality:[/u]
[u]Background:[/u]
[u]Trigger Event:[/u]

[u]Suggested Power:[/u]
[u]Aptitudes:[/u]
[u]Weaknesses:[/u]
[u]Quirks:[/u]

[b]Scenario #[/b]
Suboption description goes here.

A note on the game system: It's a pretty generic d20 system, save for the crits. A 1, 2, or modified 3 will be a Major Failure, with results past the typical. On the other hand, a 19, 20, or modified 18 is a Major Success. These carry over to varying extents even if the actions "succeeded" or "failed". Even if your bonus is somehow high enough to succeed on a 1 (probably by doing a really simple task), the task will have a bad side effect; even if you fail on a 20, things will turn out alright.
I reserve the right to alter the system at any time. However, major alterations will be noted in-thread, and the current rules will be listed in one of the posts below.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 07:12:38 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Torontoan Parahumans
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 09:02:52 pm »

PCs are here.
Non-Toronto characters, Glossary, Etc, are now located here.
Casualties from Naga's Attack on Toronto

Local Hero Teams
Spoiler: Guild, The (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Independent Heroes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Protectorate (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wards (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Seven (click to show/hide)

Local Villains
Spoiler: Apokryfi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Bloody Guts (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Bones (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Deadly Four (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Herbicide (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Independent Villains (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Islanders (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Pure Lilies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Rats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Shadow Strikers (click to show/hide)

Local Rogues
Spoiler: Yatowa Itsuki (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Others (click to show/hide)

Notable Local Nonparahumans
Spoiler: Morvirtut (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 07:11:14 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Setting
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 09:03:10 pm »

Note: This is very far from being complete.

Spoiler: 1990's (and late 80's) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 2000's (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 2010's (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Canada (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: China (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 08:32:32 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: (Indeterminate Worm-Inspired Superhero(?) Game)
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 09:10:52 pm »

Trigger Event: This actually needs explanation. See, in the Wormverse, you don't get powers through radioactive waste, experiments gone perfectly wrong, alien magic, or anything like that. No, you get powers when something incredibly crappy happens to you. Taylor's trigger event was a bit of rather disturbing bullying that left her in the psychiatric ward for weeks, and while it isn't the most pleasant trigger event, it is also not the least. Trigger events usually include psychological trauma, physical danger, or some combination of the two. These screwed-up events are in part blamed for the high number of supervillains. Second-generation parahumans have it easier; Glory Girl, for instance, triggered in a basketball game, which no doubt resulted in a confused referee and a foul of some kind. On the other hand, second-generation parahumans also have other issues, like obligations to their family...or enemies thereof.
You know, I wasn't going to take part in this, but now... Challenge accepted!
Brb writing character sheet.
Also, my vote is for Option 1, fictional city, country optional.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 09:20:50 pm »

Interested, but relatively busy today, if you can wait i may be able to think of something.
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 09:22:11 pm »

EDIT: Nevermind. Thought I could adapt one of my usual characters to the setting. Couldn't go anywhere with my idea this time. =(
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:28:27 pm by HFS »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 09:23:34 pm »

Interested, but relatively busy today, if you can wait i may be able to think of something.
Unless we somehow get a dozen apps in the next few hours, waiting will be fine.
Sig

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 09:27:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Scenario #
Hrm.

Option two, one year before Skitter makes a debut.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:00:26 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 10:18:47 pm »

In for great waking up

Reservsies :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Scenario #
1 or 3
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:34:15 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 12:13:46 pm »

When derm mentioned that he would be a tinker, I expected his character would be more like Bakuda.

Anyways. Two applications? I was hoping for a little more activity...

And, most of all: Bump.
Sig

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 12:23:00 pm »

You have, like, over 55 abandoned games (but you require more to beat adwarf's record of over 60). I know it makes me hesitant to join a new one, plus Worm isn't a really well-known story, so maybe those are some reasons there isn't much interest?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 02:28:41 pm »

You have, like, over 55 abandoned games
Geez, really?
Wow.
Sig

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 03:10:11 pm »

If it weren't for the fact the other 2 RPs i'm in were taking so much time, i'd bite.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 06:26:46 pm »

I'm tempted to join, since I found this story a few days ago and am intently reading it, but I found this story a few days ago and am too intently reading it.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 06:56:08 pm »

Still too buys to make a character, especially since I thought I was going to play D&D today, but it's apparently Scion now So i have to whip out a character quickly
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 137