Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Does The test server work for you? Are you willing to sped time helping me test it?

It works for me.
- 6 (31.6%)
It does not work for me.
- 1 (5.3%)
I'd be willing to help test it.
- 6 (31.6%)
I'm not interested in testing it.
- 1 (5.3%)
I might be willing to help test it.
- 5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 42

Author Topic: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github and test site.  (Read 77525 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github
« Reply #465 on: March 27, 2015, 12:13:03 pm »

Mmm, probably not. Or at least, not without the IRS giving me a gigantic fisheye.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #466 on: April 03, 2015, 08:39:42 pm »

So alright, I've filed the articles of incorporation. Now I need to file a bunch more paperwork in order to get nonprofit status. I'll also need to make sure we've got a license applied to our software. I'm thinking one of these, not sure which yet. That sound good?

Edit: More specifically, the GPL looks pretty good.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 02:56:55 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #467 on: April 06, 2015, 01:25:16 pm »

I've gone ahead and applied the GPL to the work. So there's that, now. I've also created a corporation for the project, and soon I'll be applying for 501 c (3) status.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #468 on: April 14, 2015, 02:46:12 pm »

It turns out 501 c 3 status has a filing fee of $400, which is more than I care to spend, so I'm going to leave that until we're looking to do some significant fundraising. For the moment, I've purchased agora-project.co and should soon be acquiring a ode certificate.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:08:44 pm by Angle »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 14, 2015, 03:05:17 pm »

I remember when this was just an idea thrown around here, this has come so far! This is pretty cool people, be proud!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #470 on: April 16, 2015, 01:57:41 pm »

So alright, it's looking like I can't get a code certificate for less than $150-$200 dollars. I could pay that, but on the other hand, I think I could probably just eliminate the applet part and rely on pure javascript, which requires no certificate. Do you guys think i should try and just skip the certificate? I found a javascript counterpart to the java library I needed the applet for, so if that works as advertised the coding should actually be relatively straightforward.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 16, 2015, 03:13:14 pm »

I think you should go for it. That's one language less and there are companies and schools who don't install Java add-ons.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #472 on: April 16, 2015, 03:18:44 pm »

Alright, here we go. I'm gonna go ahead and rewrite JAgoraLib in javascript as JSAgoraLib. I tried forever ago but that attempt was trash, so I'm gonna start over. Anyone feels like helping me, go ahead and say so and we'll figure something out.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #473 on: April 18, 2015, 01:33:38 pm »

I was going to drop by and say that it was a shame that Agora was in java, since (1) I dislike Java (2) Java is not enabled by default anymore, but huh, you decided to switch to JS it seems?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #474 on: April 18, 2015, 01:35:10 pm »

The server side code will still be in java, but the client should soon be entirely in Javascript.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #475 on: April 18, 2015, 01:41:12 pm »

That is good to hear then :D you could run the server on assembly if you wanted, but the client definitely has to be JS in this age...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 19, 2015, 05:38:38 am »

What exactly do you need testers for at this stage? Haven't read the entire thing yet, just curious about it after you bombed the other discussion.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #477 on: April 19, 2015, 02:55:00 pm »

Right now I need testers to help me debug the Javascript client, which SHOULD work, but stubbornly refuses to.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #478 on: April 19, 2015, 10:38:21 pm »

Alright, so I'm pretty sure I can now send data to the server. But figuring out how to read the data I get back is a pain in the ass. See, it says that it takes a "Buffer" as input. But I can't seem to figure out what kind of buffer. Can anyone else make heads or tails of this?

http://mongodb.github.io/node-mongodb-native/api-bson-generated/bson.html#bson-deserialize

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #479 on: April 21, 2015, 01:20:44 pm »

And it looks like thats the buffer class from node.js. I think I can use it in the browser, but I'll have to learn at least the basics of node.js and node browserify. AAAAAAAAAAARGH...

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 42