Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Does The test server work for you? Are you willing to sped time helping me test it?

It works for me.
- 6 (31.6%)
It does not work for me.
- 1 (5.3%)
I'd be willing to help test it.
- 6 (31.6%)
I'm not interested in testing it.
- 1 (5.3%)
I might be willing to help test it.
- 5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 42

Author Topic: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github and test site.  (Read 77522 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github
« Reply #510 on: May 18, 2015, 10:25:45 pm »

I have plenty of money, what I need right now is advice. Does meteor.js look like a good platform to have Agora use? Are Polymer and Mongo-db techs we want to employ?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 19, 2015, 10:30:13 am »

meteor.js is a cutting edge realtime full-stack web tech. It is also well backed up financially ($millions). I've tried it before v1.0 and I liked it very much.
I hear they like to break their API from version to version and that old tutorials will not work in newer version.
meteor.js fits Agora well.

I've never heard of Polymer, so I don't know whether it belongs with Agora or not. Can you ask the dev in what way Polymer fits into the picture? Also make sure the dev knows whether you'll be rendering the forum in HTML5 canvas/canvas3d or not.

MongoDB is well supported in a JS environment and can be used as a graph DB to a degree. Neo4j is a fully-featured graph DB which comes with a lot of graph-related functions & algorithms. It's written in Java though. Ask dev why he thinks a document-based DB is more suited for a graph forum vs. a graph DB.
MongoDB might be OK for Agora, but that depends on the use-cases and the sizes of the graph.

TL;DR: I most probably wouldn't use such a tech configuration for Agora.

That said, I'm not your lead dev, and I don't have all the design facts before me.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:35:00 am by dorf »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #512 on: May 19, 2015, 11:29:02 am »

Polymer is for display. It would essentially take the place of d3, which is just as well, as d3 has been a pretty awkward fit for the things I want to do.

The reason he suggests Mongo-db is because that's what works best with Meteor. I'll talk to him about alternatives.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 20, 2015, 01:06:42 pm »

Meteor is good. I don't have much experience with it, but it is good.
Meteor would do what my fork would do. But where I would use 2 frameworks (one for the client side, another for the server) Meteor is just one.

So yeah, it seems like a fine idea. It would bring pretty much the same benefits as my fork. Except it would be more consistent.

There is nothing wrong with MongoDB. NoSQL databases generally perform only slightly worse than properly normalized SQL database. MongoDB isn't the best for performance though, redis or Cassandra would be a faster choice. Both would probably work well with Meteor. Honestly, its not too difficult to swap in another NoSQL database if required, so I don't think that its an important design decision here, they all operate similarly.

NoSQL databases are nice because they don't require you to normalize them. You can nest data structures if necessary, and you can leave a document ID and join it later. They better represent the data than a series of tables that have to be manually assembled. I do think a NoSQL database better fits your graph structure than a SQL database.

Not familiar with Polymer. I'm not sure if its necessary. I guess Meteor might not provide enough DOM manipulation for Agora. Thats why I was using Durandal, to manipulate the DOM for to make it a single page app. I'm not familiar enough to say Polymer is good or bad.

TL;DR, Meteor should be fine. I can't speak for Polymer (Nor do I see why its necessary, but I'm guessing Meteor doesn't manipulate the DOM enough). MongoDB will be fine, especially initially. NoSQL databases are quite nice, I think the model fits your data better than a SQL database, and if you need more performance you should be able to swap a faster NoSQL database in without too much effort.

If the $650 isn't breaking the bank, go for it. It doesn't look like a bad decision. Just pay him in installments so you can see work is being done.

I'll still work on my fork, slowly (I have a lot of projects I like to work on).

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #514 on: July 09, 2015, 03:36:57 pm »

Alright, the dude set up a staging version. It's only a basic test, but here it, no java config editing required.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 04:03:31 pm by Angle »

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 10, 2015, 03:29:38 am »

It's working for me. Kind of. Which is to be expected, I suppose.
When entering '…' (the Unicode character, [Alt Gr]+[.] on my keyboard) the mask for entering a new topic reloaded. I cannot reproduce this, so that might have been a fluke.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Jarvis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 11, 2015, 12:36:44 am »

So, I clicked on the red circle on the "Test" box and now it won't show up. Did I accidentally delete it?

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 11, 2015, 05:14:48 am »

I think these red circles are for deleting. That's how I used them.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #518 on: July 11, 2015, 11:03:16 am »

Those are supposed to close posts, just to get them out of the way. Right now the guy has them deleting posts, though.

Jarvis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 11, 2015, 12:50:03 pm »

I wasn't even logged in when I clicked the red circle. That should probably be changed.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #520 on: July 11, 2015, 01:55:30 pm »

Yeah, I talked to him about it. This is just a demonstration version, after all.

Jarvis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 11, 2015, 03:39:57 pm »

What exactly does the green button in the lower left hand corner do?

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 11, 2015, 03:48:20 pm »

If you click on a green button, it turns white. You answer to any post you marked this way. That's at least my understanding of it after playing around.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #523 on: July 11, 2015, 03:57:03 pm »

yup, thats for replying to specific other posts. You can check multiple to reply to multiple posts.

Jarvis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 11, 2015, 04:06:56 pm »

It seems like it could get real cluttered pretty easily if a lot of people reply to a lot of posts at once. Maybe there could be a feature where all but selected webs are made transparent for easier reading.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 42