Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Does The test server work for you? Are you willing to sped time helping me test it?

It works for me.
- 6 (31.6%)
It does not work for me.
- 1 (5.3%)
I'd be willing to help test it.
- 6 (31.6%)
I'm not interested in testing it.
- 1 (5.3%)
I might be willing to help test it.
- 5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 42

Author Topic: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github and test site.  (Read 76221 times)

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github
« Reply #480 on: April 21, 2015, 03:11:50 pm »

I've never worked with JS but this https://iojs.org/api/buffer.html says that there's a buf.toJSON() method in there (https://iojs.org/api/buffer.html#buffer_buf_tojson) and I think the example in the last link might be showing how to convert a JSON object into a buffer. The github page for buffer also says a bit more in 'usage' about how to maybe use it without browserify https://github.com/feross/buffer
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:13:56 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #481 on: April 21, 2015, 03:13:29 pm »

Huh. That looks really useful. I'm already working on something, but if it doesn't pan out, I'll take a look at that.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 21, 2015, 03:26:45 pm »

The server side code will still be in java, but the client should soon be entirely in Javascript.
That's good news. I'm also a bit leery of JavaWS and Java in general, but I'd be willing to try the Javascript version.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #483 on: April 21, 2015, 04:38:15 pm »

It's funny, cause I like java, but it just doesn't look like it's gonna work out for us. So instead I'm stuck using bloody javascript, which I am developing a significant dislike for.

For example, this latest attempt to get Agora working: It says use a buffer? What kind of buffer? hell if I know. The thing I'm using is a re-purposed node.js module though, so I figure it must be the node.js buffer. So I jump through a billion hoops to make that class work in my thing, installing the node package manager and several of it's libraries. I finally iron out al the bugs that causes and... It still doesn't work. Same error as before.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHGHGAHGHAGHAGHAGHAGGHGA...

*sigh*. I'll wait a bit, try soe things out, and if none of them work, I'll try rewriting it to use the io.js buffer and see if THAT works.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #484 on: April 21, 2015, 06:04:26 pm »

It's funny, cause I like java, but it just doesn't look like it's gonna work out for us. So instead I'm stuck using bloody javascript, which I am developing a significant dislike for.

For example, this latest attempt to get Agora working: It says use a buffer? What kind of buffer? hell if I know. The thing I'm using is a re-purposed node.js module though, so I figure it must be the node.js buffer. So I jump through a billion hoops to make that class work in my thing, installing the node package manager and several of it's libraries. I finally iron out al the bugs that causes and... It still doesn't work. Same error as before.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHGHGAHGHAGHAGHAGHAGGHGA...

*sigh*. I'll wait a bit, try soe things out, and if none of them work, I'll try rewriting it to use the io.js buffer and see if THAT works.
I got that io.js link from this page https://github.com/feross/buffer and judging from
The goal is to provide an API that is 100% identical to node's Buffer API. Read the official docs for the full list of properties, instance methods, and class methods that are supported.
the api appears to lift the method names from that class, to the extent that that is considered the official documentation, other than the two or three differences listed on the git page. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Music, Ballpoint

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #485 on: April 21, 2015, 06:12:42 pm »

Ah! Alright, that looks pretty good. I'll look over it.

Also: I just found out that the error I was getting was because I was directing the queries to the wrong address, and was thus just getting another copy of the html page in response.

AAAAAAAGAGGHAGAG...

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #486 on: April 21, 2015, 06:29:23 pm »

And now we're back to not being able to encode data such that the server will be able to read it. Aaaarg.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #487 on: April 22, 2015, 12:37:02 am »

All is not lost! I managed to get it to read the queries again! The client still can't understand the replies yet, but we're making progress.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #488 on: April 24, 2015, 06:04:41 pm »

Alright, it looks like I can get data to the server and back, using xmlHttpRequest. Unfortunately, I still can't read the data that I receive. It think that's because of the encoding - the xmlHttpRequest encodes it in utf16, and the thing I sue to read it can't understand utf16. I don't know how to make the two match up, unfortunately - Here's the list of encoding supported by xmlhttp:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and here's the list supported by the buffer class that is used as input for BSON:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and no, utf16, the default value for xmlhttp, is different enough from utf16le that they don't work together.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #489 on: April 25, 2015, 09:49:59 am »

You could maybe use a Blob as the go-between. FileReader, which is used to read Blobs, has a readAsText output which puts out utf8 (amongst others? I can't find what strings are acceptable for encoding type. It might be all of those if it's from the same library), and DataURL output which puts out base64, but I've never heard of dataurls and don't know if that's suitable at all.
Music, Ballpoint

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #490 on: April 25, 2015, 04:22:24 pm »

When I set the response type, I get an end of file error on the server side application, causing it to give me no response. but if I don't set the response type, I get the response just fine, albeit in an encoding I can't seem to do anything with...

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #491 on: April 30, 2015, 09:30:23 pm »

Alright, I finally got communication working. Now I just need to go through and rewrite the rest of the client in javascript, which should only take a day or two, and we will be back in business.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #492 on: May 04, 2015, 04:25:22 pm »

LOOOOOOOL of course it's not that easy. Now my BSON will decode some messages, but not all. Why? Hell if I know. I suspect it may be related to size, so I'm going to go ahead and try rewriting it to deal with shorter messages.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 05, 2015, 01:33:59 am »

The joys of programming, eh?

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 05, 2015, 03:20:04 pm »

I'm going to be honest, I skipped pages 6-30 because it was getting cumbersome...

I see that you started your design hoping to use java for the server side. I don't like javascript, but you pretty much have to use it on the client side, and if your using it there why not on the server as well? It could solve a lot of your issues with communication, a server running node.js and a web framework (I like express.js personally) communicate easily in JSON to the client side.

If I were building this I would probably do it using Node.js, Express.js (although thats really out of familiarity) and probably Durandal on the clientside. AngularJS has nice features, but can be really cumbersome, and I find Durandal to provide the same features in a cleaner way.

I'm somewhat interested, so I'll go through the google doc's page, and maybe stumble through the github a little. Although I'm more likely to fork the project using the frameworks I described than actually contribute. Especially Java, I hate Java (not the language, the environment forced on you, and also the security vulnerabilities).
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 42