Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Does The test server work for you? Are you willing to sped time helping me test it?

It works for me.
- 6 (31.6%)
It does not work for me.
- 1 (5.3%)
I'd be willing to help test it.
- 6 (31.6%)
I'm not interested in testing it.
- 1 (5.3%)
I might be willing to help test it.
- 5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42]

Author Topic: Agora, A better forum (Open Source Project): Now with Github and test site.  (Read 76193 times)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Noticed this and just want to throw out some suggestions:

• Different types of connections, denoting different relations between nodes. For example, reply, subordination, approval, contradiction, etc... Also ability to add connections post-node-creation, so someone can go "oh, these are related!" *bamf*
  • Different types of nodes denoting different functions. Some should be headers, for example, that other stuff goes under. Or +1 posts can get a different color.

A non-linear forum is an interesting concept. It'd fix the problem of unrelated conversations in the same thread - if you don't have anything to add to the person above you you're just replying to OP you can just reply to OP.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!

Noticed this and just want to throw out some suggestions:

• Different types of connections, denoting different relations between nodes. For example, reply, subordination, approval, contradiction, etc... Also ability to add connections post-node-creation, so someone can go "oh, these are related!" *bamf*
  • Different types of nodes denoting different functions. Some should be headers, for example, that other stuff goes under. Or +1 posts can get a different color.

A non-linear forum is an interesting concept. It'd fix the problem of unrelated conversations in the same thread - if you don't have anything to add to the person above you you're just replying to OP you can just reply to OP.

Aye, those are all features I'm planning to work on. I'm also thinking of a connection between posts that basically says "these posts say the same thing", which would cause replies to one to show up as replies to both? I'm not sure though.

Nice to see this is still being worked on.
The preview feature is functional and cool-looking.
The zoom feature and moving around the graph is sluggish for me on almost-latest version of Chrome on Windows.

As for the lag, I'm also still trying to optimize a bit more, too, so hopefully it'll work better. I'm curious as to what sort of computer it was running on? Like, an old laptop, or a new gaming computer...?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something in between. Win 8.1, i7 3rd gen CPU, 8 GB RAM, Radeon x600/x550 series.

I've tried it on Chrome and FF. Both are similarly sluggish, FF might be a bit less sluggish.
The size of the window also plays a factor.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!

Huh, it's still sluggish? I did a bunch of optimizing, it hardly lags at all for me now, especially on chromium. :/

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still sluggish. Maybe it's network lag? I'm from central Europe.
The site loads in ~5 secs, the times for each request range from 100 ms to 400 ms.
Not sure how to measure websocket's lag, but it seems quite fast.

Also, on Chrome the dots are only partly connected: https://imgur.com/a/5JQ3A
On FF they are fully connected.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!

Huh, weird. I've had other people get the same problem, but haven't managed to reproduce it myself yet. :

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!

Hmm. So I'm working on implementing federation, which will allow Agora sites to connect to each other, and to Mastodon, Pleroma, and other such sites. I hope to have the feature implemented within a week or two. While I'm at it, I'm thinking of rebranding, maybe? The name Agora seems kinda plain, and it's used by an awful lot of different projects. I was thinking Canopy might work better? Or some other foresty sounding name? I'm not sure on the details. XD

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42]