Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 56

Author Topic: Supernatural Mafia 6 - Game Over!  (Read 161152 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural Mafia 6 - Day 1 Wakes the Sleepers
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2013, 07:56:14 pm »

-snip-
You are right, I just seemed to notice everyone was posting questions to all, while notquitethere posted specific questions to specific people. I thought that seemed kind of suspicious, and I just wanted to get a small test run at applying pressure. However, I'm canceling my vote for now until more evidence comes along.
Most of the time people tend to pose questions to specific people, sometimes backed up with a vote to pressure them into a response. It's just this thread has a ton of general questions to all.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

kleril

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm the guy who sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2013, 07:58:15 pm »

How would you describe your own playstyle?
How would you characterise your playstyle?

Speak when spoken to, and don't throw out too much fluff. Didn't serve me too well last game, though. I intend to try and develop my scumhunting & scum identifying skills this game.

@Caz & Notquitethere:
notquitethere, you look pretty suspicious, responding and and asking questions to everyone personally. I'll watch you for now, but I'm very prone to changing my thoughts.

How is this suspicious? Do you respond to questions via your scum secretary? What a weak argument.
There is a fairly valid point buried here. By not addressing the group as a whole (i.e. asking @all questions), you get to pick and choose who says what, and line things up so you get the answers that you want. Seeing as we just started and little information has distinguished individuals from the group, you have no reason to be picking & choosing. Unless, of course, you have some way of differentiating between players. Odds are that you're making a scum play here. Do you have some reasoning for doing this that you'd like to share?
"Obsession and despair take hold as you fail to recapture a fantastic sensation that you had for a moment but is now gone."

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2013, 08:39:40 pm »

I see a limb.  I'm going out on it.

It's about flavor.  I dare not quote our OP even in his thread posts, because the punishment is for quoting the mod is listed as for quoting the mod, not for quoting PMs from the mod.  But I have to check this idea out.

The OP, post 1, shows a list of 11 players and 1 replacement.  We 'should' be looking at a total of 11 players.

The start of game, post 55, says that You are ... in a circle with 11 other people.  A voice says,  'These 12'....  But wait.  Are there 11 of us, or actually 12?

Mephansteras made a point of emphasizing the importance of reading previous supernatural games.  Said in post number 31 about we won't know quite what to expect at the start, but if we read all the previous games we should be in decent shape.

In game 3, Mysteriousbluepuppet was raised as a zombie.  He never appeared on the list of people who could be voted for, but he was slaying people through Toaster's commands.  Was the only way to kill him to kill Toaster, who had raised him?  Would that even have killed Mysteriousbluepuppet-the-zombie?   It's HARD to figure out the one player who purposefully raised a zombie for SK purposes, but less difficult to figure out that kills suddenly started - and maybe the dead person has been raised a killer.  What would have happened if a player had said VOTE Mysteriousbluepuppet?  Would his name have then appeared on the vote lists?  Could the town executioners have discovered his corpse and destroyed it if he'd been the lynch choice?

In post 31 Meph says he won't be changing roles or rules from the last game - that's emphasis to reread the last game and know the rules and roles.  And one of those roles, possibly one of those rules, is that Webadict was scum, and Webadict escaped alive.

And now we have 11 listed players, but the start of play names 12 of us.

Persus, your reply to the start of play is titled Re: Supernatural Mafia 6 - Day 1 Wakes the Sleepers

Did you name our day one yourself?

Mephansteras just finished writing our roles, all of them.  Just finished PMing them all out.  He, more than any of us, knows how many players there are in his game.  There are 11 of us, but our start of play post says there are 12.  Does anyone else think that Webadict might be our unspecified, but not unannounced 12th player?

I don't know if I'm staring at my imagination or what.  This doesn't seem out of scope for these games before - heck we have more clues than people had in game 3 that there could be a 'player' not on the list of obvious players - but Mysteriousbluepuppet was very much a meaningful part of that game even after he left the roster of votables.  I wonder, and wonder greatly, if Webadict is a meaningful part of this one.  If the number stated in the opening of play post is corrected downwards...  But if it's not....  My oh my, what is the votecount going to look like now?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2013, 08:45:47 pm »

@Imp: No, but that would be amusing if I had.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2013, 08:49:37 pm »

@Imp: No, but that would be amusing if I had.

Alright, so that came from a standard reply, from the OP having been renamed (I think).  I still suspect Webadict as one of the sleepers who has awakened;  he (and others still alive... or for that matter dead then but 'awakened' now) if there is a strong link to game 5 are the truest 'sleepers waking' possible.  Not proof, but doesn't make me feel less sure of this 'out on a limb' theory.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2013, 08:53:11 pm »

-snip-
What if he did it on purpose, and it's a red herring?
Or if it turns out to be a typographical error?
Sigtext

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2013, 08:59:02 pm »

-snip-

Then this is more of bastard mod than I'd understood from the reading of previous play, and especially the beginner friendly part.  That makes me think he'd put in extra clues, not extra (or even any) red herrings.

No,  I think it's an unlikely mistake (but I'll believe it if he says that's what it was and will drop this then pointless theory), or a huge clue - a repeated twice (you... 11 others; the 12) in an otherwise pretty short and to the point game opening post.  Those coming from the current BM (or following it) would also be aware that the number of players in the game is something to pay attention too, that became an issue that remained an issue... right, no talking about currently played games outside of the currently played game.

None the less, if I was running a D&D game with players, I'd feel very confident that I'd dropped a 'reasonable to catch series of clues' even for newbie players - presuming the newbies did what I asked (and what several of them said they were doing).

Or if it turns out to be a typographical error?

Then I come back off this limb, brush myself off, and continue scumhunting in more obvious ways.

kleril

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm the guy who sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2013, 09:55:44 pm »

-snip-

Then this is more of bastard mod than I'd understood from the reading of previous play, and especially the beginner friendly part.  That makes me think he'd put in extra clues, not extra (or even any) red herrings.

No,  I think it's an unlikely mistake (but I'll believe it if he says that's what it was and will drop this then pointless theory), or a huge clue - a repeated twice (you... 11 others; the 12) in an otherwise pretty short and to the point game opening post.  Those coming from the current BM (or following it) would also be aware that the number of players in the game is something to pay attention too, that became an issue that remained an issue... right, no talking about currently played games outside of the currently played game.

None the less, if I was running a D&D game with players, I'd feel very confident that I'd dropped a 'reasonable to catch series of clues' even for newbie players - presuming the newbies did what I asked (and what several of them said they were doing).

Here's my concern, though: What if you're wrong, and we get no mod intervention to tell us whether or not we're completely off track? We'd end up with a waste of a day. I say we hold out on this train of thought until our glorious leader says something.
"Obsession and despair take hold as you fail to recapture a fantastic sensation that you had for a moment but is now gone."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2013, 10:01:34 pm »

Here's my concern, though: What if you're wrong, and we get no mod intervention to tell us whether or not we're completely off track? We'd end up with a waste of a day. I say we hold out on this train of thought until our glorious leader says something.
Watch this, I know a magic trick.

Mod: Apart from the players mentioned in this game, is there anybody else in here?

There, now we can go back to doing stuff until we get a reply.

So... kleril: How do you intent to hunt if you don't question people, either on random stuff to try and provoke a response or on their current behavior?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2013, 10:09:34 pm »

So Jim: What was the most dangerous scumteam in your opinion?

Vampires.

Cults are nasty and difficult to deal with. They tend to snatch up the strongest players and it's really hard to find out who the leader is when there are all these people they've recruited running interference for him.

And it bears mentioning that by cult, I mean mechanically, since there was a Cult scum team in one game, which was a mechanically regular scum team if I'm remembering it correctly.

All vets: Any tips for a Supernatural Newb?

That depends on your alignment. You're gonna have to spill the beans to get some honest-to-goodness Jim Groovester advice.

I'll ask a general question:

EVERYONE: What role would you most like to have and why?

General questions are useless since they lack the pointedness of their focused counterparts. Compare the response in a school setting when the teacher asks everyone a question, compared to the teacher asking a single person a question.

I'm going to wager you don't care about the answer so I'm not going to give one. It's a win-win for both of us!

@All: How would you describe your typical playstyle as town? As scum?

See above.

Jim Groovester: So here we are once again, it has been some time. How are you? Anyway as i recall it said somewhere that to keep this newby friendly we will have the same role selection as last game, do you think that means the same type of scum?

Probably.

I don't even remember what the last scum team was. I suppose I could figure that out rather easily but I don't care enough to find out. Was it werewolves? Yes, I believe it was werewolves because I helped write the flavor for that game.

Werewolves are sort of the default scumteam in Supernatural, so if we're running the same type of setup it's probably them.

Also, welcome back.

Jim Groovester— Are there any good town-tells?

You mean like... not being scummy?

Being active and aggressive and pursuing a list of targets is a town tell.

Saying this makes me feel like an IC. I think I've said this dozens of times.

Is this the game, notquitethere? Is this the game where you'll finally win?

From what I'm told I'm the worst player to have in any mafia game ever. That's according to Solifuge.

What do you think?

I've never actually played Mafia before.

You're in for a rough ride.

Hmmm...
notquitethere, you look pretty suspicious, responding and and asking questions to everyone personally. I'll watch you for now, but I'm very prone to changing my thoughts.

Yeah, you have no idea what you're doing, do you.

Imp - You die, and resurrect as a 3rd party (survivor). Do you claim your new role? Why/why not?

As best as I can recall, resurrection into 3rd party survivor isn't possible in the Supernatural games.

Vanilla Town, which in this game appears to me to closest translate as witch or sexton, I see those as having been before/having overall the potential to be the weakest Town roles.

Then I'm going to blow your fucking mind when I tell you that VT is actually a possible role.

If a player doesn't get a role then they are a vanilla town.

Supernatural 5 ended with the escape of Scum Webadict and a banishment/KOS declaration on him.  The OP made mention that it could be an interesting backstory for a future Supernatural if one was needed.  Do you think this game will prove to connect to that game in a way that includes that backstory?

Nope.

Whups, meant to ask a second general question too:

Of the various main and third party roles which have appeared in Supernatural games, which do you think you'd have the easiest or hardest time winning with?

See above about general questions.

It's about flavor.  I dare not quote our OP even in his thread posts, because the punishment is for quoting the mod is listed as for quoting the mod, not for quoting PMs from the mod.  But I have to check this idea out.

You will be pleased to know that the rule only refers to private correspondence between players and the mod.

Quoting the OP is perfectly fine.

Webadict

Supernatural games are not bastard mafias. The only players playing are the ones in the players list.

One day you'll look back and feel very silly about this.

Watch this, I know a magic trick.

Kids these days, am I right?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2013, 10:29:21 pm »

aStill, do you intend to follow up on any of the answers people have given to your catch-all question? Or are you going to save us all some time and admit that you're scum already?

No I don't. It was a stupid question in retrospect and has given me little, if any, useful information. I'm glad you enjoy your little joke there. I found it somewhat humorous myself. Unless you're serious in which case I'm very disappointed in you and you should be ashamed.

Nerjin - If you were a monster hunter, who would you pick for a night kill? Would you use it as soon as possible or wait for a better opportunity?

We don't really know what a Monster Hunter does but if I had a town aligned NK I would go after whomever I thought was the most scummy. If I were more than 75% sure I would use it. Hope this helps.

Well... Got a lot of catching up to do but this is all I can do for now. Sorry mates.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

kleril

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm the guy who sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2013, 10:53:50 pm »

So... kleril: How do you intent to hunt if you don't question people, either on random stuff to try and provoke a response or on their current behavior?

I never said you shouldn't question people, just not using individual questioning as a starting point. That early in, half of the players hadn't even posted, thus had no behavior to question. Do you think it's fair to separately target players arbitrarily?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2013, 11:06:06 pm »

Probably.

I don't even remember what the last scum team was. I suppose I could figure that out rather easily but I don't care enough to find out. Was it werewolves? Yes, I believe it was werewolves because I helped write the flavor for that game.

Werewolves are sort of the default scumteam in Supernatural, so if we're running the same type of setup it's probably them.

Also, welcome back.
Well so be it, you have seen a lot more of these than me.
Shame, vampires might be absolute unbalenced bullshit, but at least it is bullshit you can get drafted into. Vanilla mafia just boots you out of the game.

I never said you shouldn't question people, just not using individual questioning as a starting point. That early in, half of the players hadn't even posted, thus had no behavior to question. Do you think it's fair to separately target players arbitrarily?
Fuck yes I think choosing random people is fair, why wouldn't it be?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2013, 11:32:47 pm »

Alright, PFP you dudes and Imp. Because I'm busy and this wasn't the best time to start because RL stuff but then that'd be me complaining on trivial notice an-

Nerjin
Well I'd say that the most helpful thing is to keep notes on everything IMPORTANT that people say and to write it down so that YOU will understand it in the future. That's what I do anyway. Also, never just ask "What...?" you must always ask "What... and why?" because it forces them to elaborate.

I'll ask a general question:

EVERYONE: What role would you most like to have and why?
I would like to be an Exorcist -No this isn't my role. It's because this is the first time I've ever saw one, to speak bluntly. That, and considering the prospect out of game terms, it really jives with how I view the Supernatural world Meph creates--who doesn't want to be an Exorcist. It's like Buffy all over again! (Yeah yeah monster hunter but you get my point :I) x3

Why do you ask a general question and what/how would it help you?

kleril
I...post. And I...play. I am an amorphous creature. I change my playstyle every game. I love playing with psychology and philosophy, and generally play for fun rather than egoistical pleasure.

...So yeah. My playstyle is to post. To be pertinent in the post. And to have fun.

How would this generalistic point of view help you?

Max
Tiruin: Good to see you! Assuming you were scum would you prefer offensive night powers to rush the town down or defensive powers to avoid detection?
Interesting prospect, good sir.

Depending on the prospect (and perhaps hidden roles[?] - I'm unsure if roles not in the list are given to scum but I'm putting this perspective in view) then I'd be taking offensive night powers. Those because of the idea on..well, the notion of practicality and simplicity. A defensive power can be traced and made as an alibi, but an offensive power, in its full context or generally any context, may as well be used to its benefit-confusion and harassment, or as a power to eliminate threats.

...But I would prefer all and any stuffs given to me because Meph is God. :I

Why are you asking these definites? Why are you asking my preference given that context?

NQT
Tiruin— How do you learn the most from Day One before there's been any kind of flip?
Just as much as anyone learns-via observation. The flip only acts as a dead-end of sorts, to debase or debunk any relative or leading conclusions or notions. If deviations are to follow from said flip, then that is generally a note of suspicion. However I learn usually via observation, and primarily by questioning.

Tiruin dons her Inquisitorial hat and robe.

Ahem.

What use is asking my learning style, given how learning is such a general term? Would it help you understand me more, or is there any other reason you had in mind to inquire this?

kleril

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm the guy who sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2013, 11:48:23 pm »

I...post. And I...play. I am an amorphous creature. I change my playstyle every game. I love playing with psychology and philosophy, and generally play for fun rather than egoistical pleasure.

...So yeah. My playstyle is to post. To be pertinent in the post. And to have fun.

How would this generalistic point of view help you?

It doesn't help immensely, but it does shape a picture of you. Some aspects of your post set off my gut in certain ways, but nothing more.
I was hoping your response would glean more about what to expect from you, but I guess it set the stage well enough.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 56