Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves suspending construction of wall...  (Read 3401 times)

SnakeByte117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves suspending construction of wall...
« on: September 30, 2013, 06:11:54 pm »

I'm attempting to breach an aquifer using the pump method, and I have all the walls in place except one. The wall keeps being suspended, not because of the water which is actively being pumped out, but because there's a creature occupying the site. The carpenter stubbornly insists on staying in that spot. I've tried setting the spot as a restricted traffic zone and deleting the job and creating it again. Nothing's working. Anyone got any advice?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves suspending construction of wall...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:17:33 pm »

Maybe channel out the spot so that he can't stand there? Not sure how much that would mess with the aquifer breach though.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 06:23:10 pm »

Dump the rock that got dropped by the first attempt to build the wall.  Then delete one of the walls adjacent.  Now try building the wall square.  Then try the wall you removed.

Prayer helps sometimes.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

SnakeByte117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 06:25:26 pm »

I believe that channeling out another tile would ruin the aquifer breach. Not sure though, I'll try it if no one else has any other ideas.
There is no rock, only soil. I've already dug out spaces for dwarves to stand beside the space I want the wall to be on.
Any other ideas?

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 08:30:18 pm »

Cancel and retry.  I have had many walls continually suspend because some Urist McBlindeye gets on the spot, then drops the boudler/block there, and I have to cancel the job, get the rock moved, and then try again.  The seems to happen even more when making long walls.  I think sometimes dwarf A gets the job and begins work, but while en route, dwarf B gets the adjacent wall, and when he gets there he just sees dwarf A in the spot and drops the rock, thus starting the endless "Dwarves suspend wall construction" spam.

SnakeByte117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 08:48:13 pm »

I cancelled and retried, it didn't work... I eventually ended up channeling the spot so the dwarf COULDN'T stand there, and that worked, the wall was built... buuut it ruined the aquifer breach. Had to abandon the fort.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 01:48:37 am »

Change building material. If you to build a stone wall, cancel and retry with a wooden one (or the other way round). This works for me most of the times.

Garukin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 02:05:38 am »

Had the same issue when using the pump method recently, with cancelling/retasking not making any difference.
What eventually worked for me was to change the direction the builder approached the wall from; in this case i had a single staircase leading to the digsite, i blocked this off and dug another one in the opposite end of the area. When the mason approached the wall from another direction (Changing from north to south in this case) he didn't have any trouble completing the job.

DiacetylMorphine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 09:26:24 am »

I have always remove the wall and build it again, never had problem.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 09:52:11 am »

Comparing the one time I used the double-slit pumping method and when I tested doing the 2-(soil-)layer aquifer pierce with only 1 pick and no other embark items used, I'm going to pick cave-ins over pumping every time from now on. (A 1-z aquifer is even easier to pierce with a cave-in, but maybe not quite as safe if you're in a really hostile biome).

All that cancel spam...

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 06:13:42 pm »

<DOUBLE POST> SORRY
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:33:14 pm by Hague »

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 06:32:41 pm »

I have this problem sometimes. The issue is ramps. Dwarves regard the tile of entry from a ramp as valid which makes the dwarf stand directly on to the lower (or upper) area. So the dwarf will continually attempt to build from above and then move down (or up) the ramp and occupy the building site, resulting in cancellation. In my experience you can control where a dwarf stands when building by making other building designations in the area where you don't want them to stand (like an extra wall) and then manually suspend them. You might try designating these false walls in the area from above where the dwarf enters, this will hopefully make them stand where you need them to stand.

Basically your dwarf thinks that since it can stand in the northwest corner from above and move into the build site, that it can build from there. It can't in practice so it tries to move into the pit thinking there's nowhere else to stand. The easiest way to deal with this is to always build from the southeast corner to the northwest if you want your dwarf to remain outside a structure. The opposite is true if you want them to remain inside instead.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 05:18:24 am »

I have this problem sometimes. The issue is ramps. Dwarves regard the tile of entry from a ramp as valid which makes the dwarf stand directly on to the lower (or upper) area. So the dwarf will continually attempt to build from above and then move down (or up) the ramp and occupy the building site, resulting in cancellation. In my experience you can control where a dwarf stands when building by making other building designations in the area where you don't want them to stand (like an extra wall) and then manually suspend them. You might try designating these false walls in the area from above where the dwarf enters, this will hopefully make them stand where you need them to stand.

Basically your dwarf thinks that since it can stand in the northwest corner from above and move into the build site, that it can build from there. It can't in practice so it tries to move into the pit thinking there's nowhere else to stand. The easiest way to deal with this is to always build from the southeast corner to the northwest if you want your dwarf to remain outside a structure. The opposite is true if you want them to remain inside instead.

Sure, ramps can cause it. But I get "creature occupying site" errors of the builder occupying site -kind all the time, even on completely flat land. In which case a speculative cause may be that the builder's preferred non-obstructing tile to build from is already occupied by another dwarf building a neighbouring designation, which causes him to move into his designation to try to build.

Regardless of the cause, and there probably are several possible ones, remember that you always need to cancel and redesignate to have a chance for them to try and build from another spot.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 11:34:58 am »

I think sometimes dwarf A gets the job and begins work, but while en route, dwarf B gets the adjacent wall, and when he gets there he just sees dwarf A in the spot and drops the rock, thus starting the endless "Dwarves suspend wall construction" spam.
Dwarves who are trying to construct a wall (or other path-blocker) that's in an occupied space will continue with the construction job for a while before cancelling and walking away.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 05:15:52 am »

I think sometimes dwarf A gets the job and begins work, but while en route, dwarf B gets the adjacent wall, and when he gets there he just sees dwarf A in the spot and drops the rock, thus starting the endless "Dwarves suspend wall construction" spam.
Dwarves who are trying to construct a wall (or other path-blocker) that's in an occupied space will continue with the construction job for a while before cancelling and walking away.

Yes. Specifically, at least when the builder is the obstructing party, the job will continue until the wall is "nearly complete", which makes the bug ever so slightly more annoying.