Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: (Mostly) Hands-off God Games  (Read 3018 times)

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Mostly) Hands-off God Games
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 01:52:07 pm »

Yeah.

I've had an idea for an interesting AI simulation where you play a spirit who does very subtle 'pushes' on the people in a village to direct them in ways you want. Make them happier doing certain things, unhappier doing others. But mostly just watching what they do and how they interact. I came up with it as a way of testing an AI concept I have. Now if only I'd get around to programming all of it...

That would be perfect, and you would have all of my dollars.

Try Reus. It's available on Steam.

Have it! Really, really good, but it's more of a puzzle game than a god game, I'd say?

Tropico is pretty much a standard city-builder in a lot of ways. It's fun when I'm in the mood, but it doesn't quite scratch the hands-off itch.

Creatures is in the a-life genre, and is in fact what got me into that genre (and, by extension, this 'hands-off' approach talked about in the OP). Good taste!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: (Mostly) Hands-off God Games
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 04:53:44 pm »

I feel there was a very similar topic a little while back? Does anyone remember that?

I think I recommended Stronghold from 1993, which is actually really kickass but takes a while to figure out. Don't remember exactly how handsoff it was, but I think it was fairly hands off, and definitely a bit more god-like.

Depending on your definition of god, you might also want to look into Darwin's pond, where you essentially get to either do nothing, or genetically manipulate little beings so that they can... move towards food to eat, and move towards each other to mate. What a life! I remember just leaving the game on for an entire night to see which of the multitude of little beasts would end up ruling the entire world!
Pages: 1 [2]