Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, what do you want to know? (SETTING)

General! (Like SparkNotes for history!)
- 0 (0%)
Civilian! (Common ways of life in the future and you!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Military! (Everything protective, destructive, and inbetween!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Criminal! (Not everythings a bright ray of sunshine!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Politics! (Glorious, good old factionalism!)
- 2 (33.3%)
Tech! (Prostetics, cloning, electronic fields oh my!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Other! (List in a post what you want!)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33

Author Topic: Survival At Its Finest: Waking Up From Sleep Mode (Q&A)  (Read 58176 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Survival At Its Finest: Recruiting [4/6]
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 12:26:58 pm »

Alright, that would be the forth sheet. Just two more left!

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Survival At Its Finest: Recruiting [4/6]
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 12:38:15 pm »

I'll get one up when I get home from having diner.

Name : Harvey
Attribute : Hammerer
Description : Fairly tall with a lean but muscled body, long black hair and bright blue eyes.
Background : Winging it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:05:04 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Survival At Its Finest: Recruiting [5/6]
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 06:11:28 pm »

Well then, down to the wire for that last spot.

There's always still the waitlist, and if I find myself able to I'll let more characters in however.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 06:16:19 pm »

Name: Samuel Allworthy
Attribute: Inspiration
Short Description: A tall formally dressed man with a conductor's baton
Short Biography: An orchestra conductor who managed to get to the shelter on the way to a concert.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 08:22:51 pm »

And that makes the sixth, the beginning of the game will start either later tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

If you have any questions about the system you can ask away, and I'll try to explain it the best I can.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Survival At Its Finest: The Beginning
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 04:45:15 am »

Should we be starting with any equipment? I assume we have, at the very least, our clothes.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 07:53:19 am »

You'll get some equipment, and of course you'll have things like clothes or a stolen trilby or a conductor's baton or an inspector's badge. They're just not important* equipment so they're not listed is all. The inventory section is for things like weapons, armor, gadgets, important things, etc.

*Important meaning either important, that they give a bonus, or have a use. Air Filtration unit, gun, magboots to give an example in order. A baton isn't important, give a bonus, and while you can use it for things it doesn't necessarily have a use.

Unimportant items still have uses if you use 'em well. The baton can be used to poke something from a distance, the badge might still mean something to certain groups or people, rip part of your clothes up to make crappy bandages, so on and so forth. I could list that stuff if you like, but I figured it not needed.

There are a few items you can all assume your characters have, such as something to keep time with/call each other with, something to write with, clothes.

Game starts later today after work, at the very least I will get this game started today even if I gotta miss some sleep. I have a clear schedule after classes/work so I should be good though.

Nunzillor

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 08:19:27 am »

Name: Jack Mason
Attribute: Inspiration

Short description: A stout, heavy man in his mid-forties.  Frequently displays an unnerving grin.

Short biography: Ever since the death of his family in a tragic fire, Jack has spent the last twenty years as a die-hard conspiracy nut.  This has led him to extensively study survivalist skills to prepare for widespread disaster.  He has done little else.  His obsession has left him both well prepared for the current crisis and mentally unhinged.

((Am I waitlisted?  Also, is this attribute okay?))

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:29:10 pm by Nunzillor »

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 12:06:14 pm »

Found a little time to respond:
Yeah, I'll jot you down under the waitlist.

The attribute isn't a passive bonus however, it's something that activates when your character achieves a critical (if you wish, you can not activate it if wanted).

An example might be Freddie. Let's say that Freddie is fleeing from something, and manages to nab a six from his roll. Another d6 is rolled to see if he confirmed his overshot, and if another six is rolled then that would be a critical. Because he has inspiration, if he wishes he can choose who gets +1 bonuses next turn to their rolls.

From your attribute it seems you want to make things, so inspiration might work. Or you could attempt to make another one up, or I can rack my brain to try and think one up for you if wished.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 12:16:02 pm »

So there is a 2.78% of a crit actually happening. Hmm, not something to rely on, definitely.

Edited for incorrect numbers.

Nunzillor

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 12:30:13 pm »

Alright, edited to inspiration.  Looking forward to this, it's my first RTD/RP.  :D

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 05:03:33 pm »

[@Tomcost: Hah, yeah I know how rare that's going to happen, that's the reason why it does so many good things. Your health goes up a notch, your result is above and beyond even an exceptional success, and you get the ability to use your attribute. I'm thinking about also letting it do double damage. It's restricted to an only PC action though. Well, mostly.

@Nunzillor: This is my first time running an RTD, or game much less. Hope I can give a good first experience for yah.

Right, time to see if I got a GM's voice now. As a warning the beginning will be fairly wordy, but bear with me it should get better as we get going.]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 05:07:32 pm by Xanmyral »

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 05:05:05 pm »

The world was humming. A deep vibration that rattles the dingy, partially rusted steel walls as if the very ship is resonating with itself, its every movement, every breath sending shivers along its cold metal frame. A searingly bright light hangs in the air a short distance from the ceiling listlessly, swinging to-and-fro from an invisible cord connected to a small round black indent directly above it, a faint glow coming from its lens.

But everyone was used to the noises of the ship by now, a white noise that falls on deaf ears. A group of people have gathered in a small room re-purposed as an office for the 'leader' of the survivors in the ship's bunker, a middle aged man with frosted hair and stubble from lack of shaving. The luminescence glow of his mechanical eyes betrayed man's relationship with machine, the soft blue light taking in the group with no signs of any emotion behind their gaze. The patch on his shoulder told all that he was an Enforcer, one of the ship's caretakers, peacekeepers, even judges if need be. The symbol on his shoulder was a faded blue palm help open as if to grasp something gently, an ironic statement if the rumors about some of their methods are to be believed.

The Enforcer coughed, then frowned once he had everyone's attention. "I suppose you all know why I've gathered you here today, rumors spread quickly in this pit." His face tightened at the mention of their shared jail and refuge. "We're running out of food, and we're running out of water. This bunker wasn't meant to last so many people so long, and the Mechanic Divisions hadn't set up access to hydroponics or water treatment down here before... Whatever the hell happened. So we've taken volunteers, that would be you all, to venture outside and survey the damage. Immediate food and water is to be your first priority, our stockpile is low and we won't be able to feed anyone in a week's time without anything coming in. The man let that sink in with the group as he heaved two crates on his desk. It was true that rumors that food was running low were present, after all that's why they were given less and less rations. Nobody knew that it was this dire however.

"If damages are minimal those of us down here will move back up top and secure better quarters, this will be your secondary objective. I want a thorough investigation before I make that kind of decision however, I need to know that it is safe, not just that it appears to be. I'm sure I don't need to explain what might happen if we're wrong." The man's brow narrowed over his emotionless eyes as he glared at the crowd. "Your third objective is to find either other survivors who might still of been living out there or might of been in another bunker. I don't know if the others are open or active, as we haven't received word from any of them but there might be a problem with their comms unit. Your final objective is to try to find a safe route to hydroponics and engineering and from there we can hopefully obtain access to its resources to keep us well for a time."

"We're not sending you out there without tools though." With a creak the man opened the first crate and laid out two objects, a small black box and a small white box. "These are your means of communication. With it you can connect to others with it or back to us, it will provide you with a map of the ship, and possesses its own frequency for chatter." With little flair the man put it next to his ear and, as if possessing a life of its own, the object attached itself to his ear morphing and changing its shape to the contours of the man's ear before extending a small black line halfway to his mouth. Next he opened the small white box to reveal two small clear contacts, marred only by small black etches both within and on the outside of the lenses. "You place the comm unit on your ear as shown, you place these on your eyes so you can actually access the map and HUD." With a slight tug the man removed the comm unit and places it back next to the now closed white box, it slowly returning to its cubed shape.

The Enforcer moved onto the second box, retrieving what looked like a half-faced gas mask. "This is an air filtration unit, it will protect you from airborne contaminants, smoke, it will even provide you thirty minutes of oxygen if needed. With both of these you should be protected against most situations you could deal with outside this bunker. You place the mask up to your face, over your noise and press the button on the top for five seconds. It should seal itself and start working immediately, to remove simply flip the safety switch and hold the button again for five seconds to remove the seal. Some of you may wish that we have full body void suits for what you all are about to do, but we have to work with the best we have. So unless you all would like to head out there with nothing I suggest you grab one." The man set the mask on the desk by the opened crate and took a step back as he watched the crowd intently again. "Any questions?"

Spoiler: Harvey; Patrick Hunt (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:44:21 am by Xanmyral »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 05:16:07 pm »

((For clarification: there is a box of each color for each of us, right?))

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 05:18:43 pm »

Harvey picks up his kit and puts it on.

"Any weapons? Other survivors might not be happy to see us."
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33