Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, what do you want to know? (SETTING)

General! (Like SparkNotes for history!)
- 0 (0%)
Civilian! (Common ways of life in the future and you!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Military! (Everything protective, destructive, and inbetween!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Criminal! (Not everythings a bright ray of sunshine!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Politics! (Glorious, good old factionalism!)
- 2 (33.3%)
Tech! (Prostetics, cloning, electronic fields oh my!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Other! (List in a post what you want!)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33

Author Topic: Survival At Its Finest: Waking Up From Sleep Mode (Q&A)  (Read 58224 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Survival At Its Finest: Where Players Fight Against The Dice
« Reply #180 on: November 07, 2013, 11:03:51 pm »

[The amount of sixes continue to be utterly ridiculous. Also I'm seriously debating about making it to where if there's a huge difference in dice results in combat, the guy with the higher get some sort of benefit. I don't feel like I'm really doing the RTD flair in combat.

Warning: I didn't look this over for any confusing wording so apologies, tell me if anything is confusing or odd.

Harry and Xantalos, want me to assume you guys pocketed anything that you found prior?]

Spoiler: GM Comments (click to show/hide)

[Commercial District]
Spoiler: Group A (click to show/hide)
[Outskirts]
Spoiler: Group B (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Harvey; Patrick Hunt (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:53:53 am by Xanmyral »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 07, 2013, 11:16:04 pm »

Study the wounded leg looking for any signs of veins or arteries through the wound. Target the spot they are visible on but on the opposite leg to surprise it again. (( Boyah, All my Harveys rock at melee combat lol. ))

Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 07, 2013, 11:42:53 pm »

Get up, look for a weapon. Failing that, attack an undamaged leg.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 08, 2013, 01:33:19 am »

Hm. See if I can't scavenge a headlight from the vehicle. Check what parts it does have present rather than what it doesn't. Look around for a flashlight.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 08, 2013, 09:05:09 pm »

((I still say that the really mangling or severing the limbs rule is applied, so this is like Dead Space with Cataclysm DDA elements))

-I-I see. B-Better to not t-tempt fate. Now that everything seems clear, why don't we check this place for anything useful?

Examine the place for something useful, like food. Examining here meaning passively searching, so that I don't make any noise if I screw up.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Survival At Its Finest: Of Maulings and Smashed Headlights
« Reply #185 on: November 10, 2013, 02:41:20 am »

[Figure I should say, if you have both knives out I'm going to assume you attack with both unless otherwise stated.

Also I really need to stop doing these around midnight, that can't be good for my clarity.]

[Commercial District]
Spoiler: Group A (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Harvey; Patrick Hunt (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:54:22 am by Xanmyral »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 10, 2013, 03:04:35 am »

Remove the metal spike from the wall if possible, see if I can attach it to my mace in any way.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 10, 2013, 07:08:10 am »

Marion is suddenly struck by its inhuman gait. She dives for the machete with the aim of lopping one of its legs off.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 10, 2013, 07:11:05 am »

Use the information on the enemy artery to guess where it is in the gut just above the legs then take my knives to it, disembowel.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 08:13:38 am by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 10, 2013, 08:03:42 am »

-Y-Yes, you are in, provided you haven't had any contact with t-those things. I-I hope that whatever was following us had already given up.

Go to the shelter, request to be let in by using the comm device.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 10, 2013, 04:54:43 pm »

Smash the stapler with my mace while yelling incoherently.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 10, 2013, 04:58:15 pm »

If it attacks Claudius again, stab it as it jumps.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 10, 2013, 10:06:18 pm »

Good news: I have all the rolls done.
Bad news: No turn tonight.
Neutral News: As the game progressed, more and more I feel like I'm going about it the wrong way.

Now, to explain what I mean, I feel like I'm trying to shove a square block through a circle hole here. The more and more I think of stuff about the system I'm using, the more and more it feels clunky and burgeoning to me.

I think this really shows itself most evident in combat: out of the twenty three rolls, twenty were combat. Which is a ridiculously high number considering it's a fight between three on one and one on one. I've even regressed in hiding rolls, which is a bad thing on my part as it removes a lot of tension or mystery around what happens if you can plainly see what is going on, even when you really shouldn't.

Not only that, but combat drags on, which is the exact opposite I wanted for such. I knew that because the health system was tiered instead of chunky salsa or hit point it would go slower, that was why I ruled that aggressors win ties, as then more people get hurt and things get settled quicker. But that wasn't enough really.

I mean, Marion is still fighting, and she started fighting it five turns ago (counting the one I've rolled up but haven't put out yet). I'm really sorry for that, notquitethere, you're probably terribly bored with this fight by now. I don't even want to imagine how long a fight might go between two groups of four, much too long I fear.

I also know that I need a serious organization in the game, because having to look back to see what I did for prior things is a pain, and I've forgotten what some of the creation rolls were for some buildings, or what color which person used and how they're like.

So what does this all mean? I'm going to retool the fighting and streamline it so that its quicker, takes less rolls, and has more RTD benefits. As really, let's be honest, so far what number you roll is just fluff unless it beats their roll, and by how much doesn't matter, which is boring and doesn't promote the random fun of RTD. There should really be something special happen if they roll a one, and you roll a seven, not just a 'you hit.'

I realize now I probably should of did a quick system-test arena before jumping into the story, but what can yah do? If nothing else, I'm a stubborn bastard, so I won't give up on this game until its either a rousing success or a terrible failure.

Nunzillor

« Reply #193 on: November 11, 2013, 02:33:42 am »

I think these changes may be for the best.  Still can't wait for my turn. :)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 11, 2013, 06:55:15 am »

Some data that may be for your interest:

Let's say that you have to roll an opposed d6 to determine if a player hits. As a "hit" means that the difference is equal or higher than 0, the possibilities of hitting are of 58.33%.
Now, if said person were to make two attacks, at a -1 penalty. The chances are:

Conclusion: by deciding to do two attacks, there is only a 34.02% of failing, compared to the 41.66% of doing a single powerful attack. As there are no penalties for failing spectacularly, the players are actually encouraged to do many weak attacks.

Another thing: as the chances of causing a wound are independent of the difference obtained, the "double attack" method is more viable, as it has a possibility of hitting twice, and thus, increase the chance of at least 1 wound.

I hope this helps. There is also this little toy if you are interested in more of this (it was in the Roller's Block therad). It admits operations such as 1d6-1d6>=0, that is the base of your system to decice whether something hits or nor.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33