Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, what do you want to know? (SETTING)

General! (Like SparkNotes for history!)
- 0 (0%)
Civilian! (Common ways of life in the future and you!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Military! (Everything protective, destructive, and inbetween!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Criminal! (Not everythings a bright ray of sunshine!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Politics! (Glorious, good old factionalism!)
- 2 (33.3%)
Tech! (Prostetics, cloning, electronic fields oh my!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Other! (List in a post what you want!)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 33

Author Topic: Survival At Its Finest: Waking Up From Sleep Mode (Q&A)  (Read 58177 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Survival At Its Finest: Belated Turns
« Reply #360 on: December 21, 2013, 01:50:54 am »

NEVER DEAD, JUST SLOW. LIKE A ROMERO ZOMBIE.

" I'll have your prints end of tomorrow, can't head back out till dawn if I wanna avoid being monster food. "

Walk around and look for Randall.

The quartermaster nodded, going back to picking at the dismantled Maur-30. "Appreciated, Gamma, I'll hold yah to it."

Seeing his business done, Harvey moved off. Before he could get too far though he was met by the helmeted enforcer who followed him to the quartermaster. Seems he had waited outside until Harvey's business was finished.

"Sargent wants to see you soon, wouldn't say what but that it was important; he wants to either sees you or that wounded guy. Seeing as the other guy's currently in the infirmary, that pretty much leaves you." The enforcer relayed to Harvey from underneath his helmet.

"Orders are I can't let you out of my sight until then. BUt since all of your team is currently in the bunker, that means that I'm free until one of you leaves again. I'd personally like to take advantage of that, so if you don't mind..."

While the enforcer prattled on, Harvey managed to check his HUD to see where Randall was. Seems he's in a personal room in the bunker, probably his. Wouldn't be that far of a walk from here considering the armory is located in one of the enforcer barracks.

-I-I'm sorry sir.

Quickly get up and grab my stuff, then feign to go to my house, and go around a corner. Then look for a restaurant of rich people, they always waste food that ends up being perfectly edible in the garbage.

"Make sure it doesn't happen again."

The enforcer sniffed and spoke in a particularly bored tone, watching Randall move off. A corner later and he was out of sight, and Randall was by his lonesome again without an enforcer watching him, the way it should be.

It didn't take long to find a well-to-do restaurant, they're all lining the side of the commerce district that overlooks the 'upper class sector.' Not its official name, but it might as well be for what it was really.

There was a few choices as Randall watched a fancy car pull into a parking spot next to a particular restaurant, its fancy sign showing it as a cocktail and seafood place. Another was showcasing some sort of exotic food, proclaiming it to be the 'best from old Sol' with 'authentic stock' being used.

"Wait a minute, Mr. Asimov! You can't open the store yet! It's not morning! Have you no sense of proper work ethics? You can't just open a store that isn't even yours when it's not working hours! It's a betrayal of store policy! Are you sure you can do that of your own initiative?"

Delay!

Asimov pauses, looking uncertain. He looked at his raced hand and scowled, slowly lowering it.

"I could." His voice dripped with venom. "But it would be a violation of the ordinance 34, 'all stores and functions of non-vital import are to remain closed at night.' I am simply eager to share our wares, but not enough to break customs or routine. Routine is optimal for buying, and removal of the routine would be crass."

"That was close."
"We gotta shut him down, where's the core?"
Lunk shrugged. "In the store?"
"Thank you Lunk, for your stunning insight."
"Serious, guys."
"That locked door maybe?"

By now the holo had calmed down, a smarmy look settling on his face. Teeth bared, smarmed, and scowled, the rest of his mouths worked independently once more. The ones directed to Forrest smiled, much to Briefcase's displeasure.

"And so we wait. I must thank you, valuable stock, I nearly lost my head. How uncouth of me. The users are rarely interested in traversing indoors at night, lest there be something to properly catch their eye, yet in the day they all herd up appropriately indoors. A much more beneficial time, yes, if we wish to interest them. Isn't that correct, Forrest?"

It seemed Forrest had something to say for once.

"Wh-what is wrong with you?"
"I don't-"
"You claim these users are stock, and act as if you're trying to sell them. To-to something! To what? Who? You tried to open the store by setting off the alarm, what happened to you? Are in inflicted with a virus? Did you or someone mess with your code? Are you degrading? Did you set the defrag to random?"

Forrest's outburst confused Asimov, several of his 'mouths' opening and closing as if speaking yet no words came out. Until a look of recognition hit him.

"Oh, I see now." The thing smiled from most of its mouths.

"How we gonna get there 'fore Mouths sees us?"
"Quietly?"
"Quickly."
"Quicker'n he can set off the alarm? We don' know if tha locked door even has it."

"You haven't seen the latest research, have you? How long has it been since you've docked, months now? No wonder you're confused. These 'users' have been replaced. You know your not suppose to go so long without docking, you'll suffer degradation. Come now, let me just walk you to your dock and you'll understand."

Briefcase's momentary courage left him, as did the color in his face as he took a step away from Asimov.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 21, 2013, 05:26:38 am »

"Excuse me, but could you tell us more about the new users? I'm afraid I'm also not quite up-to-date on the latest market tendencies, which is hardly optimal if I wish to market myself to users adequately, yes? What are the newest user profiles like? What do they want from their products? Any new input on their general usage behaviors?"

Ask and hopefully distract!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 01:34:09 pm by Harry Baldman »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 21, 2013, 08:02:40 am »

Check the garbage for anything edible

((If this is much work for you, I'm ok if you don't do it. While the idea is great, if this means too much work for you, you can skip my turns))

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 21, 2013, 08:23:32 am »

Marion takes a long yawn and plods into the kitchen, thoughts on breakfast. What if that message is important? She quickly checks the phone.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 21, 2013, 11:56:44 am »

Go see the sergeant.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 21, 2013, 01:26:26 pm »

Well, if he likes dyin that's his choice.

That said, sneak around the store to try to find the AI core for this guy.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 24, 2013, 06:18:56 am »

Update: Everyone's actions but Commercial District is done so far, will finish tomorrow when I'm not 'falling asleep every time I blink' tired. I really gotta work on my time management skills.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 25, 2013, 12:10:05 am »

Making the turns aren't that hard, just time consuming. This is one of my longer updates (I think), but I mainly have problem with time management.

Hm... Its been a while since Persus posted. Guess he's busy.

Night 5/5

[Commercial District]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[Bunker]
[???]

Spoiler: Harvey; Patrick Hunt (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:59:14 am by Xanmyral »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 25, 2013, 08:35:26 am »

Prepare myself to eat the meal. Wake up before I get to taste it.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 25, 2013, 09:10:27 am »

"A few questions, though. What does he get from docking? And where can he do it?"

Ask Forrest.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 25, 2013, 09:24:02 am »

Tell him everything I know
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 25, 2013, 09:26:25 am »

((An idea to distract the infected AI: ask it what is the preferred payment method of the new users.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 25, 2013, 04:16:33 pm »

Attempt to distract it with talk of looking for backroom whiskey.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 26, 2013, 07:09:23 pm »

Prepare myself to eat the meal. Wake up before I get to taste it.

Randall put the napkin inside his collar to where it made a bib like thing. That's what rich people do when they're about to eat, right? Unperturbed by this unsure social grace, the street rat continued on, picking up the fork and knife. As he positioned the plate around, he noticed that the sound was a bit closer, but that was no matter, food was at hand! He cut into the succulent meat, making the the perfectly proportioned chunk.

Stabbed through with a fork, he brought it towards his face, already savoring what was sure to be a great meal. But just as it touched his tongue, he found himself in an entirely different place. The room was dark, and the survivor was on a not-that-comfortable cot. A distant, if ever present, hum was heard all around him, seeming to come from everywhere instead of nowhere. His room at the bunker.

Dreams, they always cut out before the good part.

Tell him everything I know

The Sergeant listens carefully to Harvey as the survivor spills the beans in full. Occasionally he prods with a question or a comment, and as the talks progressed the Sergeant betrayed no thought as to what he was hearing. Once Harvey finished, the enforcer shuffled papers around on his desk for a moment then spoke.

"The more I hear about this, the less I like it, and the less sense it makes. Too many questions, not enough answers. Ari." The commanding enforcer spoke to the air, and the air responded back in a dull, monotone voice.

"Yes, Sergeant?"

"Have Mr. Allworthy's wounds examined in detail, focus on anomalies."

"At your order, Sir."

The Sergeant turned his attention back to Harvey. "Your information is sufficient, although not inspiring. Too much to hope for with just a regular plague, it seems. The curfew will have more stringent enforcement, along increased enforcer presence, and emphasis on the new objective. If the infected are as you say, we need more information more than ever."

"Considering you and Mr. Allworthy have already dispatched one, the task should be simple however. You're dismissed."

With that, the enforcer turned to the papers on his desk. The helmeted enforcer who had accompanied Harvey into the room left halfway into Harvey's explanation, having seemingly regretted the decision to stick around and listen.

"A few questions, though. What does he get from docking? And where can he do it?"

Ask Forrest.

"So you'll help then?" The holo sounded hopeful, offering a quick explanation in a whispered voice.

"Docking is... It's--Sort of like sleeping, except we spend the time defragging, updating, and software repair instead of, well, whatever you humans do when you sleep. Most AIs dock in their cores, we're no exception."

Boss cuts in however, a hasty, harsh rasp of a whisper. "Yah know where the cores are! Tell us an' we can end this right quick, 'fore it gets back!"
"He's not an it, he's my friend! He just needs to repair himsel--"
"It's a defective bit of floaty code that's trying to kill us! Jus' tell us where the docks are an' we can smash his!"

Attempt to distract it with talk of looking for backroom whiskey.

Confronted with a difficult situation, Frogdo did what was natural to him: lie his ass off in an attempt to buy time. From the hoodlum sprang a story of treasure troves and hidden secrets contained in the back of stores, booze, whiskey! Sweet, sweet ambrose! Why, they weren't doing any such thing as looking for some AI core, no, not at all, instead about the search to getting something to take the edge off.

Asimov wasn't too amused.

"Valuable stock, this is a respectable establishment of clothing and personal decorum. We would never keep such crudities as 'whiskey' or 'alcohol.' It would be unbecoming of our presented experience and reputation, both we must maintain in high regard to our users."

Chin played along.

"Hey now, everyone has their secrets, and I doubt they left you holos alone to run the store. There's a reason its called 'backroom' whiskey you know, what the customers don't know won't hurt them, yeah?"

"Stock, that's quite enough of this deplorable subject. If you two would please march yourselves back to the others until it is time to open the store." While the holo's voice was polite, several of his mouths snarled and more ash billowed from him than before.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 26, 2013, 08:18:08 pm »

Randall rubbed his eyes and grabbed his belongings. Damn it all, he wondered why his subconcious tortured him like that, but at least he has a bed now. He decided to see how was the morale in the bunker at the moment.

Go to the general meeting area and look at the people there while leaning against a corner. Pay attention to what do they do, their actitudes, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 33