Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, what do you want to know? (SETTING)

General! (Like SparkNotes for history!)
- 0 (0%)
Civilian! (Common ways of life in the future and you!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Military! (Everything protective, destructive, and inbetween!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Criminal! (Not everythings a bright ray of sunshine!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Politics! (Glorious, good old factionalism!)
- 2 (33.3%)
Tech! (Prostetics, cloning, electronic fields oh my!)
- 1 (16.7%)
Other! (List in a post what you want!)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33

Author Topic: Survival At Its Finest: Waking Up From Sleep Mode (Q&A)  (Read 58118 times)

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Survival At Its Finest: Deals and Doors
« Reply #450 on: January 30, 2014, 01:54:03 pm »

"We should go now, we need to move before it's dark."

Go to the hardware store and search it top to bottom looking for raw material or anything else of value. Keep my guns drawn and fully loaded and move with as much stealth as possible.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Survival At Its Finest: Writing On The Wall
« Reply #451 on: February 01, 2014, 05:56:19 am »

X://bootdrive detected; loading bootdrive...
bootdrive loaded successfully.
Loading Prefig_SAIF...
Prefig_SAIF loaded successful, 0 / 0 errors detected.
Update detected.
Downloading update...
0%... 10%... 60%...
Update downloaded.

Initiating Main_Sequence.
Main_Sequence initialized.
Enjoy, Survivors.

Day 1/5
Greet the digital rays with joy, Survivors, they may be your last...

[Commercial District]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[Outskirts]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Harvey; Patrick Hunt (click to show/hide)

Must. Sleep.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:10:58 am by Xanmyral »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 01, 2014, 08:00:55 am »

Go back and after checking for any traps around it investigate the backpack and package.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 01, 2014, 08:17:56 am »

"Yeah, I really need some sleep soon. And some food right now, maybe. I've got some info, though. We met a pair of holograms, and one of them had seemingly adapted to the monsters - it had these mouths everywhere, there was that ashy stuff I've been hearing about and so forth. It believed that the monsters were the new users, and that humans were stock. I suspect it might indicate that the computer systems are also being infested by something, given how also the doors and other stuff started to make music all of a sudden. It also means that the monsters are definitely out there to hunt humans and make more of themselves, and might not simply be mindlessly aggressive at all. Finally, they don't seem to like to appear in sunlight, which to me sounds like we should look into possibilities of illuminating the ship as much as possible. That's the most important stuff we've gleaned, I think. I might remember something else as well once I reflect on the experience."

Explain. Hopefully get food. Then sleeeeeeeep. Unless there's follow-up questions or whatever. And if these aren't the guys I'm supposed to talk to, repeat this very bit of info to whoever I'm supposed to be telling it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 08:56:59 am by Harry Baldman »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 01, 2014, 08:50:00 am »

((Question: was the corpse delivered?))

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 01, 2014, 08:51:33 am »

(( Yeah, we did it last turn then came back to the hardware shop. ))
Caine's law.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 01, 2014, 09:01:14 am »

((Oh, well, then:))

Help to check for traps, hurl a stone from a distance at the package

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 01, 2014, 12:10:39 pm »

Go to the door of the Pharmacy, open it and look in cautiously, knives at the ready.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 02, 2014, 12:44:22 am »

Yep. Nearly got sold by some sort of crazy-ass AI, but I outwitted it or whatever and escaped. Now then, need food. Bed. More food afterwards.

Food. Bed. More food afterwards.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 03, 2014, 06:54:28 am »

"I'm good to run if you two think you can keep up..." says Marion heading off in a steady loping run.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Survival At Its Finest: Waking Up From Sleep Mode (Q&A)
« Reply #460 on: May 05, 2014, 09:35:19 pm »

<~ && ~>

Ah, May.

The month where most universities start closing up shop, finals are had, professors celebrating that they don't need to show up for the five minutes they do in their paid classes, and penned college students are let free to wreck horrors upon modern society. Truly a wonderful month, depending on your perception of course.

What in the world does May have anything to do with a game that's been silent for three months?

- Because being penned behind a cage and having text books thrown at my head in an attempt at learning through osmosis is rather distracting, I've found. While I've had time to pander about on a few games on the forums, sadly I've vastly underestimated the amount of time needed to run a game (even with the knowledge that I probably would), and simply had to make a choice of college or this game.

Why now? Why not earlier?

- I've tried to rouse the game sooner but fate has stopped me at every turn. Attempts to punch fate in its snout to establish who's the boss has unfortunately failed, turns out fate is a bit of a martial artists unfortunately. Losing internet providers, long projects, broken power supplies, and dying operating systems, and all the lost notes and rules I was keeping were some of the punches thrown my way.

But enough belly aching and excuses, as things are turning my way again. I'll soon find myself with ample amounts of free time (compared to the prior three months) in which I can actually and thankfully run this game. That's right, SAIF is going back on after a three months hiatus, and I'm personally excited! I just hope you all are still around and willing to join back in though, is all. I understand if things have come up and you've given yourself a full enough plate that you can't handle another game, three months have passed and by all accounts the game looked dead for quite a while.

Alright, alright, but why is this post even here? Is there a point beyond the excuses?

- To serve as both a warm up period to let people know that this is back on soon(ish) and as a Q&A period.

Why Q&A?

- The honest answer is that I can't start the game right away sadly, I have to remake my notes and I'll soon find myself in a two week period without internet beyond a phone. So even with this post the game won't actually have another turn till about fourteen to sixteen some days from now. By then though, I'll have my notes all remade and the rules written again.

So, due to the wait, and the long hiatus, I know that people won't probably notice the game is back on until a bit has passed, so I figured that I owe you guys some answers to some questions you might have about the setting or characters in the game. Hopefully it'll also serve as a refresher in what's going on in the game, but I'll also include a 'what's happened' post before the end of the week to give a laconic synopsis. Note that I won't always answer truthfully depending on the questions however, part of the game is investigating after all.

So what now?

- Ask questions about the setting, characters, anything! Just post to let me know that you're alive and still interested even if you don't have any.

Do I really have to read all of this?

- I do have a habit of long posts, don't I?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:11:31 am by Xanmyral »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 05, 2014, 11:14:07 pm »

Yay, it's back!
No questions though. Kinda tapped out at the moment.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 06, 2014, 01:47:43 am »

One thing that struck me as odd with the setting is that it's essentially a contemporary city transported up into space. Was this literally what happened?

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 06, 2014, 02:58:50 am »

@Xantalos: Not a problem, just glad you're sticking with the game.

@notquitethere: Yes, sort of. It helps to talk about the underlying issue first.

Overpopulation is a rather pressing problem. There are only so many planets in the an acceptable habitation zone, fewer of the proper make, less still without some horrible problem, and a fraction that don't at least require some change or protective equipment, and of that fraction there are those within reach, the larger amount of those just out of it, and the tauntingly large amount of those largely far and gone. Places that could be used were, places that were close enough changed, usually through dome or some other means depending on what is required.

You ever heard that goldfish grow to suit their environment, becoming as small or as huge as the place they're situated in? It can be a good metaphor if you dash in an almost rabidly territorial outlook.

With advances in medicine and sciences allowing longer life spans, survival of worse injuries and diseases, even advanced prosthetic replacement and easier food growth caused population to boom. Limited only by space, which was limited by resources and cost, which was similarly limited by space, resources, costs, and distance, the worse offender of them all.

Faced with an overpopulated society and either a government grown to maintain and control said society while desperately trying not to fragment and to maintain power, or a series of splintered factions always at each others' throats for power, resources, and space, many people came to a single decision. In a manner that harkens back to the far past many choose the lesser of evils: just leaving.

Great ships would be built with the idea of them housing a population, similar in the amenities found planet side, yet unhinged to a planetary body. What best could be describe as city states/ships soon spawned after, sprawling metropolises moving through the void and made as self sufficient as could be possible due to the limited contact that most often grows more and more limited as time goes on.

History courses on the ship's universities and schools often go farther in detail, of course, but that's largely the gist of it. Taught to everyone during the mandatory schooling one often goes through. As to if it was a wise or proper choice, that's a topic often under much heated debate.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 06, 2014, 06:45:27 am »

One thing that struck me as odd with the setting is that it's essentially a contemporary city transported up into space. Was this literally what happened?
I'm sorry, but where did you get this impression? I don't remember anything like that.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33