Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 2: A Rose-Gold Sky  (Read 17339 times)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
[IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 2: A Rose-Gold Sky
« on: September 29, 2013, 06:21:22 pm »

This is the IC thread for this game. If you aren't interacting with the world or another character, post it here.

Day 1 - Morning

Seawall

The sun rose this morning in Seawall to see workers toiling away to repair a badly damaged port. The front section of the city looked to be in a near ruinous condition, with fire damage apparent on the front faces of most of the buildings. The docks themselves looked almost as though a giant had tried to walk over them, crushing them into pieces.

So damaged was the port that the only ship arriving this morning had to sail partially up the river and anchor there to unload her passengers and goods. The difficulty of unloading in this untraditional way required the assistance of all of the passengers, so the lithe Swamp Serpen Meyath Deefen was asked to unload. Feeling quite at home in the shallows of the river, her aid made the job go quite a bit faster.

This kindness earned her little gratitude, however, as the captain seemed somewhat frantic to leave as soon as the goods had been unloaded. The dockworkers showed little appreciation either, gruffly going about their business and ignoring the new arrival. Walking towards the town, she saw three people with bloodstained clothes run towards the cargo and take small boxes of it away just as quickly. In the middle of all of this activity Meyath experienced a brief moment of panic as she realized she had little knowledge of what she would do in this damaged port city. She clutched her small piece of wood desperately hard in her hand, seeking comfort but only finding a reminder of how her past had violently forced her into this unknown world.

Aetharbor

The sunrise over Aetharbor found a very different sight. This port was equally busy, but instead of workmen performing reparations, it’s crowd consisted of merchants trying to bargain for the goods being unloaded from the ship. So frenetic was this bargaining frenzy that the passangers could barely get off the ship.

TsuJochi, a remarkably colored Wolfkin, found himself tossed around by the waves in the crowd of merchants no less so than a piece of wood by the waves of the sea. Expelled at the end of the dock by this mass of people, he stumbled onto the paved ground and saw in front of him a cluster of shops, and through gaps he could see a wondrous bazaar, just waking up from it’s sleep, with beautiful smells filtering through and the beginnings of the chatter of trade beginning to take place. TsuJochi felt a sense of awe looking at this display of wealth, this number of people, this clan which has grown beyond a clan. The possibilities for him here were endless.

Kassen Star-Breaker had a very different experience. Although he felt quite awkward in this huge group, his height allowed him weave through the crowd with minimal jostling around. The market to him looked so unbelievably foreign, so out of place with his experiences in the desert, that he momentarily panicked and ran away from it, holding his rat skull in the hopes of finding some guidance. Finally slowing, he found himself in a section of the grand city that looked thoroughly impoverished. There were various dogs and cats fighting, and many of the small shacks that seemed to be homes were boarded up. Patrolling this area were two men armored in chain mail and bearing crossbows. They shot a suspicious look in Kassen’s direction, and looked on the verge of approaching, but walked off without giving him any trouble. Somehow this area seemed much less different from his life in the desert than did the market before.

Iseaya

The sunrise over Iseaya did not bring with it any trade for their port. A city without a strong trade economy, it did not get ships terribly often, except to supply the garrison there with provisions to serve as a defense against pirates should the get past Seawall.

The sunrise did see a bright eyed Aethen, Sofia Sala, walk confidently into town. Her eyes betrayed her certainty that by walking into this town she was setting in motion events that would end with fame and glory for her. She just knew, looking down at the shield piece in her hand, that if any Aethen was cut out to be a hero, it was her. Looking back at the forest she felt nothing but relief, relief that what had been a quiet and unimportant life was about to change drastically.

As she walked out of the forest south of town a guard saw her and quickly raised his bow, but as he saw that she was merely an Aethen, he lowered his bow and allowed her to march proudly into town. She found herself in an area that consisted mostly of what appeared to be a barracks and training yard, with the words Might and Labor inscribed above the entrance to the yard. This small complex is surrounded by a residential area of neither extreme wealth, nor extreme poverty.

Spirarbor

Sunrise in Spirarbor is always a glorious sight to behold. As the sun’s rays hit the ancient spiraling lighthouse, there is a sudden and violent flash from the lighthouse before it suddenly goes dark. While looking at this flash is a blinding event, looking away from it lets the watcher see the world suddenly illuminated in wondrous and dancing colors.

It is this phenomena which greeted Nico Carver as his ship was preparing to dock. He rubbed his thumb against his small wooden albatross as the event unfolded. As bright colors danced off of the waves before him, he felt assured that he had finally found a place overfull with beautiful knowledge, just waiting his arrival. Stepping confidently off of his ship, Nico noticed a small group of people walking about the lighthouse talking amongst themselves, and a few of them taking notes. One such group seemed to include a middle-aged man who looked to be blind, being led about by his companions. Another group had one individual gesturing wildly at the lighthouse, with the other members shaking their head, quickly finding new speakers to listen to. This small throng of seeming knowledge seekers reassured Nico further he had chosen the correct destination.

Character Sheets

Spoiler: Meyath Deepfen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  TsuJochi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Sofia Sala (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nico Carver (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kassen Star-Breaker (click to show/hide)

Maps

Spoiler: Aethellian Coast (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:23:48 pm by Samarkand »
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 1: Arrivals
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 06:29:46 pm »

Meyath felt disappointed at the seeming lack of community, but through that perhaps they were dealing with hard times, she tries to find someone to ask what is going on

"Excuse me, where is this place?"
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 06:44:02 pm »

Meyath felt disappointed at the seeming lack of community, but through that perhaps they were dealing with hard times, she tries to find someone to ask what is going on

Meyath looked for someone who didn't look too busy to talk to her, but the best she could find was a nearby worker who appeared to be taking a brief break for water. She approached him saying:

(5) He looked up at her and saw the vague look of pain and fear in her eyes, and his expression softened.

"This is Seawall, and if people are acting gruff it's because last night was a bad one. We stand as the first defense against pirates. Without us, Aetharbor would suffer. Sometimes though, like right now, we pay dearly for their security, and it puts the entire town in a mood. By the way, I'm Katro." (Current relationship +1)
My Area

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 07:34:52 pm »

Sofia strode through the town. Step one, the Aethen thought, was to equip herself. And as such, she went around looking for a weapons shop, or if she was lucky maybe a scroll of the farsoul.
((how tall are aethen?))

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 08:09:01 pm »

Meyath looked for someone who didn't look too busy to talk to her, but the best she could find was a nearby worker who appeared to be taking a brief break for water. She approached him saying:

(5) He looked up at her and saw the vague look of pain and fear in her eyes, and his expression softened.

"This is Seawall, and if people are acting gruff it's because last night was a bad one. We stand as the first defense against pirates. Without us, Aetharbor would suffer. Sometimes though, like right now, we pay dearly for their security, and it puts the entire town in a mood. By the way, I'm Katro." (Current relationship +1)

"Thanks, I ... I actualy did no tknow where I was coming, but now that I know ... what can I do to help?" Tears are welling up in Meyath's eyes, she imagines what happened back home "Scum like that don't deserve to live!"
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 08:54:39 pm »

Quote from: Meyath
Quote from: Katro
"This is Seawall, and if people are acting gruff it's because last night was a bad one. We stand as the first defense against pirates. Without us, Aetharbor would suffer. Sometimes though, like right now, we pay dearly for their security, and it puts the entire town in a mood. By the way, I'm Katro."
"Thanks, I ... I actualy did no tknow where I was coming, but now that I know ... what can I do to help?" Tears are welling up in Meyath's eyes, she imagines what happened back home "Scum like that don't deserve to live!"

(1) Seeing the tears in her eyes, he looked on the verge of showing her compassion and helping find her a place in the town, when he looked at the destruction around them. His eyes hardened. He saw her form as weak, her tears as more weakness, and he knew the weak in this town broke quickly.

"Well now that you know what this is like, perhaps it's time you find a different piece of land to call home. Folk like us toil here so folk like you can be safe in Aetharbor. That's the only way this can work."

Walking away from her, he got to work clearing away rubble from the destruction. (Current relationship = -1)
My Area

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 10:11:00 pm »

Nico looks from the lighthouse to the others at the dock, a barely hidden smile on his face.
Nonchalantly, he walked over to the group, silently listening to anything the people there say.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 11:57:06 pm »

TsuJochi looked around for a moment then smiled to himself and murmured a prayer to his god.

Place a permanent enchant on myself that allows me to feel what people around me are feeling if I focus on them. Once done head for a dock where I can take a ship over to Vourun.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 01:09:15 am »

Her face hardens "NO! I have run enough, you just brought up a painful memory"
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:40:07 am by wolfchild »

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 06:00:26 am »

In his journey to Aetharbor, Kassen Star-Breaker learned a lot about this foreign culture. But that didn't mean he understood it. With only a handful of phrases of the common tongue taught to him by an elder of his clan, Kassen made his way southward. He was given a small package for his travels, some food, a sling, and some foreign coins. With that, and his dagger, he found passage past the mountains, down the river on something called a 'boat', and rode on a wooden box drawn by a couple horses. The whole time, Kassen was absorbing everything he could. The words people spoke, the scenery, everything. Over the course of a few weeks, he encounter unfounded generosity and uncouth banditry, kindness and hatred, good and evil. He was robbed on two occasions, once in his sleep and once at swordpoint. Robbery he was used to. And when he had nothing but his totem, he was taken in by a kind old farmer. This was more surreal. In his life, if he was given something, the gifter expected something in return. But in these foreign lands, people were as likely to steal from you as they were to give to you without purpose. Well, more likely to steal, Kassen thought.

In any case, Kassen made it to what he was told was an important city. Here he thought he would find answers.

The very notion of a city was strange to him. All the people crammed within stone walls. Someone told him there were thousands of people here. The very number was astounding. His clan had less than 200 people, and they barely had enough to eat most of the time. Hew entered the city, and was immediately overwhelmed by the smell. This must be what thousands of people smell like. He moved past the men in metal, the wolf men, the forest people, the brutes, and the frail men. Eventually, he made his way into the market. He thought he was getting used to this place, but this area proved him wrong. So many foreigners in one place, all talking and shouting, moving about in thick crowds... He couldn't handle it. So he headed to a more calm, if more dangerous part of the city.

Belamn nilba... Protection, he thought to himself as he approached a nearby citizen. "Please. Can I hall-ve secrets?" he started slowly. No, that wasn't right. "No. Can have... Information? Where is the God-place?" Holy men always had answers, it must be the same here in the city.
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 08:28:29 am »

Belamn nilba... Protection, he thought to himself as he approached a nearby citizen. "Please. Can I hall-ve secrets?" he started slowly. No, that wasn't right. "No. Can have... Information? Where is the God-place?" Holy men always had answers, it must be the same here in the city.
(5)The nearest person that Kassen could find was a female human dressed in clothes that were torn and worn down to rags. As he approached her, stumbling over his words, she felt sympathy for a person who struggled through life as much as she did.
"What ou ant is a temple. Aats to the north o ere. I'm Aimee, to those aat care." (Current relationship +1)
My Area

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 12:45:24 am »

Day 1 - Midday

Seawall

Feeling slighted by the fact that they ignored her efforts to help, Meyath looked for someone who didn't look too busy to talk to her, but the best she could find was a nearby worker who appeared to be taking a brief break for water. She approached him saying:
"This is Seawall, and if people are acting gruff it's because last night was a bad one. We stand as the first defense against pirates. Without us, Aetharbor would suffer. Sometimes though, like right now, we pay dearly for their security, and it puts the entire town in a mood. By the way, I'm Katro."

Seeing the tears in her eyes, he looked on the verge of showing her compassion and helping find her a place in the town, when he looked at the destruction around them. His eyes hardened. He saw her form as weak, her tears as more weakness, and he knew the weak in this town broke quickly.

"Well now that you know what this is like, perhaps it's time you find a different piece of land to call home. Folk like us toil here so folk like you can be safe in Aetharbor. That's the only way this can work."

Walking away from her, he got to work clearing away rubble from the destruction. She called after him:
"NO! I have run enough, you just brought up a painful memory"
Tears welling in her eyes, she sat disconsolate on the ground, the flow of workmen continuing around her. She found resolve in her violent past however, and stood up, wiping the tears from her eyes, and strode off, past the ruined facades of the buildings into the town proper. There she saw a cluster of houses, along with what appeared to be a very busy medical building, with all manner of wounded slowly making their way in and out. At a distance down a side street she could see a number of shops.

Aetharbor

Feeling like he had come to the right place TsuJochi decided that his first course of action would be to try to make it so he could better understand the intentions of those he was interacting with. Sitting on the boardwalk, with his back leaned up against a cluster of crates, he started trying to commune with Cadus, in the hopes of channeling enough energy to lay an enchantment on himself. After pursuing this goal for a number of minutes, and earning no small number of strange looks, he resigned himself to the fact that today he simply was not making any connection with his ancestors. Ancestral magic could be finicky like that, so without a further thought on the subject, he set off to try and find a way to go up the Shimmering River towards Vourun.

Noticing that the northern section of the port curved into the mouth of the great river, he set off towards that end of the boardwalk, and found himself standing in front of a vessel that was certainly much too small to go out on the open sea. As he considered whether or not this would take him where he needed to go, he was approached by what seemed to be the ships burly captain.

Kassen felt out of place at first, but then had a moment of inspiration. Religious leaders offered guidance, that fact seemed like it must be universal. All he needed to do was find a temple of some sort. But all he saw around him were dilapidated buildings. He had no sense of direction, no sense of place, surrounded by all these structures. Open desert was far easier for him to navigate. He would need help to even find those who would help him. Looking around the nearest person that Kassen could find was a female human dressed in clothes that were torn and worn down to rags. Belamn nilba... Protection, he thought to himself as he approached her, stumbling over his words:

"Please. Can I hall-ve secrets?" he started slowly. She gave him and incredibly odd look. No, that wasn't right.
"No. Can have... Information? Where is the God-place?"

Watching him struggle with his words, she felt sympathy for a person who struggled through life as much as she did.

"What ou ant is a temple. Aats to the north o ere. I'm Aimee, to those aat care."

He gave her a confused look as he tried to sort out what she had said. It sounded so different from the others. But with a bit of gesturing on her part, he got her meaning. Heading north, across a large bridge over the Shimmering River, he was just on the point of giving up when he came to a large building with a door painted with a slanted, strange kind of tree painted in teal. The tree had many small roots, all visible, and looked rather short.

Iseaya

Glancing at the compound in front of her, Sofia decided that the clear action to take was to equip herself. Nobody has ever heard of an unarmed hero after all. Well, except for Gracko the Pugilist. But he was a Korsha. There was no way she could match his strength. What she needed to do was take advantage of her finesse. And that meant weaponry.

Stepping lightly through the streets while musing took her further than she would have thought. Coming out of her thoughts, she was on the other side of town. Briefly panicking, she glanced around quickly to try to get her bearing. Just as she was cursing under her breath about the difficulties of navigating this place compared to the forest, a sign reading Galen’s Small Arms, with a crude drawing of a rapier and bow on it. Her pride and confidence suddenly came rushing back. She told herself that this was simply more confirmation that it was her destiny to be great. Sofia strode confidently through the door, into a shop as small as the arms it sells, but full of treasures to Sofia’s eyes. Behind a counter towards the back of the store was an old man, carefully watching his only customer at the moment. Sending a quick smile his way, she began perusing the tables of the store.

She approached each of the five tables in series. The first one she approached had bolas of various design. Some were fairly typical, others had various blades and spikes sticking out of them. There was even one odd set on which the balls seemed to repel each other, until she touched one, at which point they snapped together.

The second table was covered in sets of daggers of various metals and shapes. One remarkable pair looked like they were made of waves of glass, and it looked as though those waves were rippling as she looked at the dagger. Feeling mildly disconcerted by this object’s odd behavior, she moved on.

The third table had rapiers. Most seemed to be very similar to the daggers, and she found another odd rippling one. She also found one made of a black metal with red pulsating streaks in it.

Moving on she found a table with small recurve bows, along with arrows stored nearby.   One of these bows seemed to actually be a branch that had shaped itself into a bow. Leaves still grew from, and its bark was still present.

The final table had a small selection of blowguns with darts. Not nearly as ornate as the other weapons, most of the blowguns had the same shape. She did notice that the variety of darts was substantial though. There was nothing in this store related to the Farsoul, but the selection in front of her was still breathtaking.

Spirarbor

Nico simply couldn't believe his luck. He had only had the vaguest idea that this port was an intellectual shelter, but the activity in front of him was absolutely undeniable evidence that this place was an academic's heaven. Trying to hide his unbridled excitement, he walks up to the nearest group. But therein lies the problem with unbridled excitement, it can't be hidden. Attempting to walk up as though nothing was happening, his zeal for an intellectual community shone through. To make matters worse, instead of merely interrupting one discussion and learning his lesson, his enthusiasm carried him to every single group in the small clearing, making him solely responsible for the dispersal of these men of discussion.

After their leaving, Nico found himself staring up at the lighthouse, bemoaning his childish actions. He felt certain that he had aggravated those learned men beyond belief, that they would never share a secret with him out of pure disdain. But through those musings, a rational voice bubbled up into his mind. He felt his emotions briefly subside, and he realized that it wasn't all quite as bad as it seemed. Men of this sort were not often the kind to hold extended grudges, after all. And what's more, he had heard the ends to various conversations. Besides, Nico still was fairly confident he was right about that last one...

Quote from: Intellectual Group 1
"... have no way of identifying the medium, arguing about the energy is inconsequential."
"An identification of the energy would let us..."
Nico interrupts with offers to help, of dubious merit
Quote from: Intellectual Group 2
"... form and function must be intertwined, the presence of multiple colors implies a prism of some sort."
"But you assume the blast is the function, when clearly the light given off at night was the source of the design."
"Yes well, whether the blast is central or auxiliary to the purpose is beyond the scope of this discussion, the polychromatic nature of the blast is one of the few observable aspects..."
At this point Nico started asking questions which seemed to stray from the topic, leaving the intellectuals bored.
Quote from: Intellectual Group 3
"I propose that it is not the presence of the sun, but the absence of the moon which triggers the blast. After all, is it not powered at night, in the sun's absence and moon's presence?"
At this point Nico chimed in, "But sir, the moon does not leave as the sun arrives, their presences are not mutually exclusive. The light of the sun merely drowns out the light of the moon. Sometimes the moon can be seen well into the day."
At this point the leader of this discussion grumbled and walked off.
...Still, Nico knew he had damaged their perception of him already.

Character Sheets

Spoiler: Meyath Deepfen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  TsuJochi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Sofia Sala (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nico Carver (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kassen Star-Breaker (click to show/hide)

Maps

Spoiler: Aethellian Coast (click to show/hide)

My Area

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 12:52:31 am »

Meyath will go and see if she can help with the injured, determined to find some way to be useful

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 05:04:36 am »

" Are you going up the river? I'm returning to my clan and would like to buy passage. "

While he talks Bekter tries to commune with Cadus again purely mentally. (( Meaning I don't move or use any weird facial expressions. ))
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 06:27:08 am »

Hm. Ah, well. Lesson learned...

After a brief moment spent thinking on what he'd done wrong there, Nico proceeds inland with a calm step and a watchful eye. In all honesty, he was not fully sure what he'd see. He'd really only read of the lighthouse, and as such, knew little of the port's other attractions. But of course, it didn't truly matter. Either way, even if the lighthouse was the only thing worthwhile here, he would still be stuck here.

Head inland, towards the city.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8