Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: UPDATE - MDF4a - A lot. (and set-color UI buttons)  (Read 16205 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
UPDATE - MDF4a - A lot. (and set-color UI buttons)
« on: September 30, 2013, 08:50:22 pm »

Spoiler: Changelog 4 to 4a (click to show/hide)

Notes:MDF4. It was a bit chaotic while in developement (homecoming and working on 3 different machines), but I got most things done I wanted to do. A big thanks to Expwnent for his diggingInvaders script, which allows titans, forgotten beasts and certain invaders to either raze walls or dig into your fort, another big thanks to Warmist for his Rendermax script which allows lighting, and to Putnam who is always quick to help with dfhack coding.

I cant sum this update up quickly, but I will try. 3 new tilesets, new GUI, lighting, AI-tweaks, 5 new buildings, all races playable in the same world, a worldgen editor... quite a lot. So excuse if this text gets a bit longer.

Workshops: The Chandler makes candles and torches for the lighting system. You can ignore it if you play without Rendermax, but it adds a lot of atmosphere if you enable it. You can either use the GUI button, or use dfhack directly: Type "rendermax light" to start it, or "rendermax disable" to stop it. There are several things to pay attention to.
 - Rendermax only works with PRINT_MODE:STANDARD. TTF doesnt work with this, so its one of the other.
 - Rendermax crashes the game, if you window it and go back to fullscreen. Again, one or the other, stay with one. You can always disable it, then change the resolution.
 - Rendermax takes a heavy hit on the GPS, the graphical frames per second.
 - Mind that the mod and the default tileset are optimised for TTF, so playing with Rendermax might look odd or cut words off. I would recommend to use Obsidian Soul with it, since its tileset letters are best to read. I used the Masterwork Tileset letters for vermin, and rely on TTF for text, so it will look odd if you play the default set without TTF. But have a look for yourself.

The Woodcrafter is a simple workshop that makes items from wooden planks, an addition to the Stonecrafter, Gemcutter and Bonecarver. The Petshop, a merchant stall like the others, needs a trade licence to be build and sells domestic pets.

A big change are the races, you can now have Dwarves, Orcs and Kobolds active on the same world. This means you can embark as Dwarves, dig a fort, abandon, then reclaim as Kobolds. All possible. Due to modding limitations this means that Kobolds can dig stone now... but they need a pick first, which is a late-game item for them. Kobold Camps will now start always on the surface, or in caves.

The Library System has been overhauled completely and is now both better and easier to use. More late-game and gives migrants a higher use. See below for more info.

There are some fixes and balances as always, most interesting is probably the addition of Forgotten Beast and Demon spawning. The Warpstone Pool can now spawn your own procedually generated beasts, and the Necrophagic Altar can summon Demons. These are the very same creatures that might attack you in the caverns or the HFS, just that they are tame or even civ-members. They dont do much by themselves, how you use them is up to you. There are probably some things I forgot, there is TheGazelles Announcement Filter, the upper right link in the GUI will lead you to dfterm3, a multiplayer utility in developement... oh, and the Finishing Forge can forge copper/bronze items completely without fuel. This makes these materials hopefully more attractive in the beginning.

A last note: Since I havent installed Dreamweaver, the program I use to work on the manual, the manual updates are very basic as of yet.

Dhack
 - Updated flaconnes utilities.
 - Added new utility by falconne: hotkey list. press ctrl+h or ctrl+F1 to see a list of all active dfhack hotkeys.
 - Updated putnams modder scripts.
 - Added digginginvaders, by expwnent.
 - Added rendermax, by warmist.
 - Added librarytrain, by boltgun.

Graphics/Tilesets
 - Added Obsidian Soul Tileset
 - Added Spacefox Tileset
 - Added/Splitted Masterwork and Matrix Tileset
 - Switching tilesets now switches civ-creature sprites as well.
 - Fixed flux tiles and schist tile for Phoebus tileset.

Spoiler: Spacefox (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Obsidian Soul (click to show/hide)

GUI
 - All new everything. New design, new links, buttons, tabs...
 - Added 48 building buttons, all buildings are yet again optional.
 - Switching harder mining off will still leave harmless warpstone, used for buildings and reactions.
 - Races can now be played in the same world. Play dwarves, abandon, reclaim fort with orcs? No problem.
 - If you disable the ore processor, all minerals work normally again
 - If you disable the reasearcher, no buildings needs any science anymore.
 - Added background music files back.

Spoiler: Screenshot (click to show/hide)

Worldgen
Meph's Worldgen Editor: A tiny worldgen inside the GUI, which is more complex then the standard worldgen, and less complex then the advanced worldgen. Includes tooltips on each topic, and makes it impossible to break the worldgen. I assume many people dont use the adv. worldgen, because they can cause cancellations. No longer possible with this worldgen. It does alter ALL the templates with whatever you feed it, so for just for safety I included a world-gen backup in data/init.

Spoiler: Screenshot (click to show/hide)

Bugfixes
 - Improved leather stockpiling, got rid of the long list of creature leathers. Thanks billyjack.
 - Fixed broken megabeast corpses.
 - Fixed typo in Therapist labors. Animal Caretaker is Animal Caretaker again.
 - Fixed all links in the manual, which linked to reaction_brewery instead of the fitting files.
 - Added missing zinc-to-lead reaction to alchemist.
 - Fixed spawned creatures dying of old age.
 - Fixed mage familiars, which use changelings now, instead of the non-existing sprites.
 - Converted megabeast spawning to script. No changelings needed for that anymore.
 - Removed pants_light from inventors workbench.
 - Errorlog is empty again.
 - Announcements no longer create boulders, which might damage buildmats and give free XP.
 - Fixed Guardian of Armok from Archeologist. Is now spawned automatically in the archoelogists study.
 - Fixed the pictures missing from the manual tables.
 - Fixed bow entries in manual, fixed Scarecrow entry in the manual.
 - Deleted old caste-guide link from manual.
 - Fixed sitestep/sidestep typo.
 - Fixed Pottery for the non-default tilesets.
 - Fixed spawn script, but its still beta.
 - Fixed typo in NAME:make pewter bars(trifle)(3)
 - Fixed Scarecroew corpses.
 - Fixed pottery in non-default tilesets.
 - Fixed some typos in the announcements.
 - Fixed processed sphalerite tile, was lacking a item_tile.
 - Fixed double seeds from making wicker. Now only 1 per plant.
 - Sorted Stonecutter and Gemcutter reactions alphabetically and added correct hotkeys.
 - Changed names of *-cutter workshops to skill names. Gemcutter, Stonecrafter, Bonecarver.
 - Fixed Magmaforging reactions in Greatforge. Are now in Magma Greatforge.
 - Fixed expedition system accepting any item as food, instead of just meat.

Balancing
 - Foreign civs have access to shirts and pants.*
 -*Two reasons: They need cloth to burn and die in fires, and adv mode looks odd with nudist everywhere. This slightly hurts FPs since invaders bring up to two items per unit more. But they die in surface fires again, so use your braziers well.
 - Moleweasels give birth to only half as many pubs.
 - All buildings are now build by the Architect Labor.
 - Finishing forge no longer requires any research and can be build early.
 - Finishing forge can only cold-hammer copper, tin and bronze.
 - Finishing forge can cold-forge copper and bronze armor and weapons.
 - Using a megabeast soul has changed slightly: Instead of legendary in one skill, the dwarf goes to skill 10 in all combat skills. Much more useful in the end.
 - Brewery can use barrels or pots.
 - Brick Oven now needs fuel. A magma version for now available as well.
 - Removed Alarm Siren. "Sound the alarm" is now part of the garrison.
 - Removed Printing Press. No longer needed with the new library system.
 - Speakers Podium reactions are now free. Dwarves hold speeches and improvise poems, instead of reading them.
 - Changed ore processor labor from mining to machine operating, to ease micromanagement.
 - Changed "make pearlash/plaster" to "Roast potash into pearlash" and "Roast gypsum into plaster powder".
 - Set all padded armor to layer:under.
 - Set all armor to layer:armor.
 - Set all mail armor to layer:over.
 - Set amorlevels and layer sizes and layer permits to accomodate all three.
 - In theory this means: You can wear padded leather armor under metal plate, covered in mail armor for max protection. But I dont envy you the micromanagement to pull that off.
 - The Tailor makes sets of padded armor. Takes 5 tanned-skins, you can select the material you want. Only leathers.
 - The Greatforge makes sets of mail armor. Takes 9 metal bars and 3 coke, you can select the material you want. Only metals.
 - The Kiln extracts tar from rough/smooth wood.
 - The Kiln extracts pitch from bituminous coal, lignite or oil shale.
 - The Warpstone Pool can now summon tame Forgotten Beasts. They are procedually generated, different in each world. You need 1 warpstone boulder to have the chance to create one. Its 20*5%, so on average you get 1 per reaction, but it might be that you get none, followed by 5. Its random.
 - The Necrophagic Altar can now summon tame demons. They are procedually generated, different in each world. You need 1 orichalcum bar to have the chance to summon one. Its 20*5%, so on average you get 1 per reaction, but it might be that you get none, followed by 5. Its random. You need to set the demon number in worldgen to at least 20 to get the full chance, if its less, the percentage is lower. If you have 0 demons, of course you cant summon them.

New Feature: Woodcrafter's Workshop

- Can use 2 planks of smooth wood to make any wooden item, same system that the bonecarver, gemcutter and stonecrafter uses.
 - Since 1 log gives 4 planks, this means you can make 2 items per log.
 - Can make 5 parquet tiles from 1 plank. Can only be used for constructions. One tree will yield 20 tiles in total, after 6 worksteps.
 - Allows a greater selection than the carpenter and produces higher value items, since smooth wood is worth twice as much as rough wood.

New Feature: Lighting / Rendermax

- You can build 5 different 1-tile buildings that produce light in different colors and amounts.
 - Braziers and Fireplaces give low amounts of light and only need one item (brazier or fireplace) to be build.
 - Candelabra: Build with stone/metal candelabra and 3 candles. Gives good amount of yellow light constantly.
 - Torchbearer Statue: Build with stone/metal statue and 1 torch. Gives good amount of orange light constantly.
 - Orb of Light: Magical Item. Gives large amount of white light constantly

New Feature: Digging Invaders
 - Orcs and Frost Giants might try to raze down your walls.
 - Antmen might try to tunnel up into your fort.
 - Titans have a small chance to be able to raze down walls.
 - Forgotten Beasts have a small chance to be able to tunnel up into your fort.
 - This is optional, under "misc features". Enabled by default, so take care.

New Feature: Chandler

- Makes torches from wood + cloth + tar/pitch.
 - Tar/Pitch is made in the Kiln from bituminous coal, lignite, oil shale or wood.
 - Makes candle-wicks from thread and candles from wicks + tallow/wax/oil.
 - These are needed to light up the Illumination-Buildings, if you play with Rendermax enabled.
 - Also makes wax statues and crafts.

New Feature: Pet Merchant: Ineri's Pet Shop

- A fifth merchant stall, requires gold and a trade licence just like the rest.
 - Buy any domestic pet, male or female, from this merchant.
 - Creatures cannot be used in jobs, so there are no selling reactions.

New Library System

- All new, a lot simpler.
 - You write books at the scriptorium, same as before.
 - Once you got 10 books for one topic, you can build 1 library.
 - There are 6 libraries. Crafting, Farming, Warfare, Smithin&Mechanics, Mind&Body, Philosophy.
 - Each library trains a skill instantly to level 3,4 or 5, depending on skill, but never higher then that.
 - Training a skill only needs a journal, a simple craft from the craftsdwarf. Stone, Bone, Wood, as you like.
 - This means: After a large investement of books to build a library, you can give your dwarves basic knowledge in all skills. See the manual for more info.

Kobold Camp
 - Shovels are no more.
 - Kobolds can dig soil and stone now, if you manage to get your hands on a pick.
 - Stealing from dwarves, drow or troglodytes has a 10% chance of netting you a pick.
 - This means: A aboveground fort in the beginning, and more late-game action with caverns and the HFS. Cutebolds vs. Clowns. :)
 - Even better: Embark as dwarves with 7 miners, dig a nice layout, abandon, reclaim with kobolds. Make the best of the space you find.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 08:56:35 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: UPDATE - MDF4 - A lot.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 08:55:57 pm »

- Reserved, because I bet that something obvious is wrong, and I need this space for a quick fix.  ;) -

Edit:
I knew it.

Masterwork Dwarf Fortress V.4a
 - Fixed button colors (some people had system-related issues)
 - Fixed some typos
 - Fixed some wrong tooltips in the GUI
 - Fixed duplicate grass entry in Obsidian Soul tileset, messing up the plants.
 - Added "more foods" button to the GUI
 - Removed the cheat-workshop
 - Fixed Phoebus Tileset Assembler
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 08:54:56 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

cainiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 09:07:38 pm »

Cheers! Now downloading.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 09:27:58 pm »

Looks like I was so close to providing you the larger list of "fixes" to leather stockpile naming.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
<-- changed 10/2 due to typos / mistakes

I am in the process of testing by butchering various creatures (adding [PET][COMMON_DOMESTIC] to every creature and removing [FANCIFUL]).  The only goof I've seen so far is that the "man" version of creatures (ex. Opossum Man) are dropping deephide and none of the resulting butcherables are being stockpiled or processed further, meat left to rot, skin is untanned, etc. And since they are based on STANDARD_MATERIALS and STANDARD_TISSUES I am at a loss. They have no reference, that I can see, through the variations applied to them, that will give them LEATHERFIVE_TEMPLATE.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:28:45 am by Billy Jack »
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Puddingkuchen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:33:26 pm »

Already found some minor typos in the GUI
-Adv. Traps, Adv. Centered and Pet Coffin Use have the tooltip from Digging Stop
-Build Dimension has the tooltip from English Dwarves
-Max Semibeasts tooltip says "adds this numbr of Semimegabeasts"
-Levels above HFS: "How many layery you have"

The Workshop of Magical Testing is also buildable ingame.

And did dwarves always bring cloaks with them?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:45:41 pm by Puddingkuchen »

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 09:40:33 pm »

that's cool, i didn't need to sleep tonight :D

from extensive playing with the new gui i found toggling keybinds between laptop/vanilla makes 'transform message' and 'digging stop' to copy the last one editted

thanks for including this manual for therapist, i'll have to learn about roles and custom professions :P
and tell whoever made it thanks :D
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Puddingkuchen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 10:36:07 pm »

Win 8/Obsidian Soul Blessed Serra/Icy Myr
I can embark with drinks such as: pig tail none or n/a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DFhack also gets this error.
Code: [Select]
...Masterwork4\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/itemsyndrome.lua:328: Cannot read fie
ld vector<unit*>.-1: index out of bounds.
stack traceback:
        [C]: in function '__index'
        ...Masterwork4\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/itemsyndrome.lua:328: in func
tion <...Masterwork4\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/itemsyndrome.lua:326>
Checking unit #1
Checking unit #2
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:39:49 pm by Puddingkuchen »

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 11:52:36 pm »

Missing
     Turn off "More Foods"

I just prefer to do a search on "roast" / "stew" / "biscuits" when I'm trading my prepared foods.  I normally don't put them in barrels.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

tankbard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 12:20:14 am »

Changing the tileset on the Settings panel changes some other settings back to their default values. (Autosave Pause, Embark Size)

The Phoebus Tileset Assembler appears broken to me.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:29:19 am by tankbard »

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 12:53:49 am »

Turns out butchering a Opossum Man in vanilla 3i has the same issues with the resulting items, so it's not because of the leather materials change. The only difference was that something is called Deephide.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 01:13:40 am »

FUCKING HELL NOW MY FORTS MUST DIE.

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 02:51:23 am »

Mephs mastery of written English continues to impress, by a lot :)

Grats on the 4th!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 03:11:12 am »

DAMNIT WHY WON'T THIS DOWNLOAD.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 03:17:46 am »

I'm just waiting 'til a bit later like I usually do since sometimes fixes get made not long after the release. :O

Vabalokis

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McKneeGrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 05:46:00 am »

OMG OMG OMG OMG its out already !
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:04:57 am by Vabalokis »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5