Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Riddlerocks have an economy, or stick to group ownership?

Economy
- 0 (0%)
Group ownership
- 2 (100%)
Other idea (specified in post)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: August 27, 2013, 04:11:25 pm

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Riddlerocks: DF-Based StoryNexus Game (Playtesters Wanted!)  (Read 4398 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Riddlerocks: DF-Based StoryNexus Game (Playtesters Wanted!)
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2013, 11:40:31 am »

You play however you want. You can do everything, or just focus on one or two things. At the moment there's not that much content, so you'll have plenty of time to do everything while I get this up to "beta" status. There's certainly no "high level" content at the moment, so focusing on one skill and raising it really high won't do any good just yet. And even once there's loads of content, it will always be limited by how much time I have to write it all. So you're really only limited by how much time you play and how many things you want to do, and eventually by the total amount of content in the game.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2013, 04:19:07 am »

I've added a few more cards in the mines today. Taking a lunch break now, then I'll get back to work. If I can keep up this rate, I might just release the game as "beta" a bit early at the end of the day, to get more playtesters (since there only seem to be 2 of you actually playing now). That will mean starting a thread in the "other games" forum.

Everyone who is testing right now will have the chance to get a bonus package as a thank-you once I move the game on to the next stage. So if you want in on that, please send me your character name soon so I can unlock the game for you and let you out of the quarantine area, so you can actually start playtesting.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2013, 08:59:00 am »

Hadn't played in quite a while - laughed at seeing the elven option while chopping wood ;D

I'm still getting the same problem where one of the icons when you change locations looks broken. I think it's a problem on their side, according to what you said before!

Also, perhaps "violence" should be called "physical prowess" or somesuch. It feels weird that you use violence to chop down trees or mine.

I like that there's more stuff to do and more places to visit, but there doesn't seem to be much difference to chopping trees vs mining for stone blocks, for instance. They both increase violence, but they didn't seem to have particularly different effects?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2013, 09:07:28 am »

Chopping trees doesn't do much right now, but mining increases your miner skill, which you need for various other things. Right now the options are limited because I'm slowly adding content bit by bit. At the moment I'm just setting the base for everything - adding the skills and ways to increase them, and one or two ways to use each of them. Once I'm satisfied there's a suitable base, I'll move on to more interesting things. There will be plots, intrigue, and long-term goals, like in Fallen London.

As an example, one thing that will be added later will be large projects, like "strange moods" and megaprojects. You'll have to gather materials for this, which will result as "rare" (or at least uncommon) drops from other actions. If you need wood, for example, you'll need to chop wood outside until you manage to snag a piece for yourself before the haulers take it away.

Keep in mind that StoryNexus is a very limited platform in terms of actual gaming. It's designed more for telling stories. I'm trying to use it to make a game, but the focus will always have to be on the text rather than the mechanics, because there are very few mechanics available.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2013, 10:26:27 am »

Yeah, I was wondering about that exactly: whether the world could change according to your actions, and whether it could change all by itself. I kind of feel it would be interesting to contribute some stones to a megaproject, but not have to execute it yourself, for instance. And once the megaproject was complete, that would open up new opportunities.

But yeah, the base seems to be coming along fine - getting curious about the more long-term ideas. I had a harder time with Fallen London because there's already so much happening that I've no idea whether I'm "playing properly". Seeing this grow is helping me figuring out "how to play" these kinds of games, and what is expected :)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2013, 10:51:48 am »

I find it interesting that you guys are asking what the "right" way to play these games is. I think part of the joy of these games is that there is no right way. You can roleplay a character and only do things the character would do. You can grind through everything and try to experience as much of the content as possible. You can just wander around trying various things and seeing what happens. All ways are "right."

Except for "social" actions (there are not any of these in Riddlerocks yet, but there will be, I promise), nothing you do affects anyone but you. In effect, it's a single-player game, even though it's online. I will try to work in various ways for players to interact, but in the end, you're really only playing for yourself.

I do think a lot can be done with the social actions that hasn't been done yet. In Fallen London, they're mostly used to help you reduce menace like wounds and nightmares. There are one or two that start minor storylines, but not much of interest ever really comes from those. I want to do more with this. I'm sure I can find ways to force players to work together to solve a mystery, for example, or make megaprojects a group effort in some way. As I said before, the possibilities are very limited by the capabilities of the StoryNexus system, but I'm sure I will come up with something unique and interesting to do.

EDIT: It's a good point about Violence. I've renamed it to Force for now, I think it fits better. I just didn't want to use "Strength" since it's so overused in... everything.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:41:09 am by Sappho »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2013, 02:03:22 pm »

I've made a thread in the other games forum. I couldn't wait any longer! Vattic and Anvilfolk, I've got your names on a list of my "alpha" testers. When the game is released, you'll get extra bonus stuff. : )

Here's the new thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=131610.0

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2013, 05:48:56 pm »

Here's an idea: Why not rename "Craftdwafship" to "Cleverness", which would describe that aspect better anyway.  Then the "Crafter" skill describes "someone who makes crafts" - an active profession rather than a passive aspect.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2013, 07:42:48 am »

I almost missed your question, since we've moved the discussion to the new thread in the Other Games forum. However, I think "cleverness" would conflict with "wits," which already exists in the game. I want craftsdwarfship to refer to creative ability rather than overall intelligence. For now it's working okay with stonecrafter and metalworker being the only crafting jobs. I'll consider your suggestion, though. It would be nice to be able to include other types of crafts. I'll consider a different name for craftsdwarfship, but it would be something more like creativity rather than cleverness.

Also, do you have a character unlocked for the beta testing going on now? I think I've added quite a lot since the last time you played, but if you're stuck in quarantine, you'll have to give me your character name so I can give you access. And there's plenty more discussion in the Other Games forum, linked to in the post before yours.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]