Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Phoenix Project - City of Titans Kickstarter (target already met)  (Read 1398 times)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've seen one or two other people here occasionally reminisce fondly about City of Heroes, so I figured this may be of interest:

City of Titans Kickstarter

City of Titans Official Site

The Titan Network Forums (a City of Heroes community that this project arose from)

Basically: A Kickstarter is in progress for a fan/community effort to create a new game as a spiritual successor to the now deceased MMORPG, City of Heroes.  The game's going to be using the Unreal engine (they have some sort of deal already worked out with Epic on that) and is intended to reach a beta release in mid-to-late 2015.

They are looking for $320k for software and resources to start making the game, and reached that target on day 3.  They're aware that value is nowhere near the amount required to make a modern MMORPG - they've got some explanations, but I'm not sure on the details beyond a) no staff costs at present (all volunteers) and b) they'll be pursuing other funding sources.

I'm afraid I'm a little short on details of planned game features as the Kickstarter page is kinda vague on that and I've not been following them too heavily (I don't have the energy for following long-term game development).  I'm assuming that's because their primary audience is already familiar with what they're aiming for (and I could ramble on at length on what I enjoyed about the original game).

Despite really wanting this to work, I'm pretty sceptical about how realistic it is that they'll pull this off  as there's a heck of a lot of red flags here, not least of which is that they're not an established game studio, and it doesn't look like (m)any of them have experience in making computer games, much less MMORPGs.  That said, having been part of the community for 8 years playing the game, and dipping in and out since it ended, I have no doubt as to the commitment and motivation of the community or these particular individuals to make it happen or die trying (or at least lose a lot of sleep and get some stress headaches).

I'm not sure how much interest any of this'll be to those who weren't fans of City of Heroes, and I'm not going to try to sell anyone on it (as I say, I have plenty reservations myself).  Still, I'm tentatively excited about this since the original gave me pretty much everything I wanted from an MMO - all my pet likes, with few of my pet hates - and this seems like the only way I'll get (a chance of) another one that does the same.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: The Phoenix Project - City of Titans Kickstarter (target already met)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 02:05:18 pm »

Everything aside, I am super skeptical about them delivering a quality MMORPG with a budget of 320k.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 02:06:26 pm »

Yeah. Truth be told those figures are... well.. very hopeful... at best.

A successful mmorpg costs loads to maintain, I'm truly not against it in any way form or manner, I LOVED COH but even a million seems slightly, off to me.
Poysky Productions

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 02:09:21 pm »

Yeah, that's been a common reaction to it as far as I can tell.  I've seen them post some responses to that (e.g. in the spoiler below), but I'm still not especially convinced myself.  But damn if I don't want it to work out.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 02:15:55 pm »

Unpaid staff means that this cannot be their primary concern unless they are all wealthy or have other income streams which require little work, which means work will be slow.

I loved CoH and I'd like to see this happen but... I just don't think its got a good chance. Its already hit the goal anyway so I'll wait and see.