Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I have the option to invest in places, but now I can't embark somewhere?  (Read 5040 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What's happening?

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
Re: I have the option to invest in places, but now I can't embark somewhere?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 07:59:27 pm »

Press tab to cycle between squads
or (if you have no squads)
Press R then Z to form a new squad,

You should then be able to go Forth with your selected squad.
Most likely you were pressing Z to cycle between bases, this is how you invest in locations.

I hope that this helps, I remember encountering the exact same problem way back when.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 08:09:02 pm »

Also, how does seduction work?

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 09:49:58 pm »

Most of the time it doesn't, because your skill will be quite low. But keep trying and your skill will go up. Eventually someone will agree to go on a date with you.

On a date, more skill rolls ensue. You have a chance to recruit them as a love slave, which doesn't take up your usual recruitment slots (But it is more difficult to recruit more lovers the more lovers you already have, up to a limit (5?)). Spending $100 on the date will generally increase your skills rolls, as does spending a whole week together. You'll keep meeting them until you successfully recruit them, you decide to break it off, or they dump you.

Also dating people can raise certain skills like business and science, sometimes you will get maps of the area your lover works, and if you're not careful your date can raise your Wisdom (bad) if they are especially conservative.

Finally there is one more very important thing to mention. If you happen to seduce a conservative, you'll have the option to kidnap them. This is pretty dangerous to do unprepared, but opens up the whole wide world of kidnapping and brainwashing conservatives. Unlocking yet a third way to recruit people, and enabling some of the most powerful sleeper agents in the game.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 03:46:26 pm »

Most of the time it doesn't, because your skill will be quite low. But keep trying and your skill will go up. Eventually someone will agree to go on a date with you.

On a date, more skill rolls ensue. You have a chance to recruit them as a love slave, which doesn't take up your usual recruitment slots (But it is more difficult to recruit more lovers the more lovers you already have, up to a limit (5?)). Spending $100 on the date will generally increase your skills rolls, as does spending a whole week together. You'll keep meeting them until you successfully recruit them, you decide to break it off, or they dump you.

Also dating people can raise certain skills like business and science, sometimes you will get maps of the area your lover works, and if you're not careful your date can raise your Wisdom (bad) if they are especially conservative.

Finally there is one more very important thing to mention. If you happen to seduce a conservative, you'll have the option to kidnap them. This is pretty dangerous to do unprepared, but opens up the whole wide world of kidnapping and brainwashing conservatives. Unlocking yet a third way to recruit people, and enabling some of the most powerful sleeper agents in the game.

1) Using Cheap/Expensive Dresses/Suits can also help to raise Seduction;
2) Tne only drawback with Enlightened Conservatives is they can't Recruit.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 06:21:32 pm »

Amount of romantic relationships a given Liberal can have = (Seduction/2, round down)+1.  Seduced Liberals have that one "free" slot already used by their paramour, so they'd need at least 2 Seduction in order to keep the sexual revolution going.

I'd think this would eventually break down at Seduction 14+; more lovers than days in the week seems difficult at best.  But Liberal convictions can fix anything.

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 07:15:34 pm »

I feel like polyamorous relationships are a very liberal thing

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 10:56:07 pm »

Dating to get a love slave is generally not advised since fucking up lowers your juice. And it is easier to fuck up the more lovers you have. Unless you want recruiters, datenap is definitely more effective.

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 11:02:09 pm »

Sneak attacks removed my fear of losing juice, tbh.

Dating is a very powerful way to get more members. You can have them prostitute around (Doesn't attract heat) until their seduction is high enough to recruit even more members. Repeat forever. The money your plethora of sex workers will make will easily pay for dozens of ace attorneys to defend them whenever they get caught in a sting.

Taking full advantage of all three ways to recruit new members is the best way to have your ranks swell. (Sometimes my strategy is to win with very few people, very quickly. And sometimes my strategy is to simply have SO MANY members that it becomes very difficult to lose.)

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 04:03:49 am »

Dating to get a love slave is generally not advised since fucking up lowers your juice. And it is easier to fuck up the more lovers you have. Unless you want recruiters, datenap is definitely more effective.

But isn't prostitution the only way to lose Juice by 'fucking'?

I agree for datenap.

Dating is a very powerful way to get more members. You can have them prostitute around (Doesn't attract heat) until their seduction is high enough to recruit even more members. Repeat forever. The money your plethora of sex workers will make will easily pay for dozens of ace attorneys to defend them whenever they get caught in a sting.

How you deal with the negative Juice your hookers rake which make them more susceptible to rat on you?

Taking full advantage of all three ways to recruit new members is the best way to have your ranks swell. (Sometimes my strategy is to win with very few people, very quickly. And sometimes my strategy is to simply have SO MANY members that it becomes very difficult to lose.)

I only use date for obtaining sleepers because dates aren't very reliable when their paramour dies.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 05:00:27 am »

I believe organizing two dates for the same day can also result in juice loss.

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 08:58:11 am »

How you deal with the negative Juice your hookers rake which make them more susceptible to rat on you?

I buy them and have them cause trouble until they have 40 juice, which is a nice buffer. And have them do it again if they ever dip to around 20 (I think at 10 juice their stats will go down). Eventually however you don't have to babysit them anymore cause they'll make more juice dodging sting operations than they will lose by being a hooker to what I assume are Conservative lowlifes

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 01:43:51 pm »

I agree for datenap.

It could be an undercover officer, basically if it is Conservative Scumfuckers then datenap, Liberal then you should be fine in dating regularly. But honestly I find datenap to be much more effective and can get you the best violence makers, or any other persona to meet your needs.

nephilimnexus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 07:11:32 pm »

Also remember that while maxing your Seduction the first time is a pain, once maxed you can simply have that character Train other Liberals in Infiltration and pass their knowledge unto everyone else with ease.

And it's easy enough to train up if you just remember that getting is more fun than having.  Too many lovers cramping your style?  Then ditch some.  It's that easy.  Turn someone into a love slave and then just turn around and dump them.  Now you have a free slot.  Get your seduction up to eight - now you can have five love slaves, and when that's full, just dump them all and start over.  A 1000 juice Cassanova can get their Charisma (and thus Seduction) up to the 20+ mark easily and - important part - eventually Train everyone else to realize their own Seduction potential without them ever leaving your base.

BTW, this method of creating what is basically a love cult is particularly entertaining if your initial character is named Gaius Baltar.  :)

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 07:23:42 pm »

Uhh, how exactly are you dumping people? The only method I know of is sending them on a suicide mission.
Pages: [1] 2