Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If we make a sequel should I let humans make steel in it?

Yes.
- 16 (80%)
No.
- 4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 53

Author Topic: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress - (Players needed!)  (Read 92944 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress - (Players needed!)
« on: October 04, 2013, 03:07:35 pm »

The year is 192.
Humanity, the sole force of light in the world, is beset on all sides by monstrous creatures and vile beings.

Mankind has little hope to survive in these unforgiving times.

In an attempt to stave off defeat an edict has been passed. A bastion against evil will be built, a rock against which the tides of darkness may throw themselves, but which will never yield. This fortress will be the greatest beacon of hope for a faltering species. It will be called Bridgedstreams.

A call has been sent. Any and all who wish to serve the greater good of the world should marshal to the fledgling settlement. Mankind must endure, and without this fortress, we shall surely perish. So come all of you who would stand against evil. Come to where three rivers meet and help us build a new dawn.

Welcome to Bridgedstreams, the human fortress. This is a succession game where we play as humans (shock! horror! :P). There are no friendly races present so things will be a bit hairy at times. The goal of the fort is to survive as long as we can and kill as many enemies as possible. Since our civ is extinct and has been for over a century this won't be easy. No migrants will come, we have just one year's worth of people and we have to rely on growing our own soldiers from scratch.

Something odd happened. Splint decided to use some force event scripts using dfhack to make a caravan appear to see what would happen. For some reason, we think it's to do with the banditry tags in our civ, we got both a caravan and migrants. For now we don't know how long this will go on for.

The Rules

1)You get two weeks for a turn. Each turn lasts for one in-game year.
2)All major constructions must be above ground, military bunkers, panic rooms, stockpiles and dungeons are exceptions to this rule.
3)Fun is encouraged.
4)No deliberate fort destruction.
5)Mechanical traps should be kept to a minimum. Collapsing ceilings are fine, 3x9 iron sawblades aren't. (The thread has voted to use mechanical traps in small amounts to protect important places from nuisances. Like the creche from snatchers.)

We will be dorfing (sort of) people on request, turns will be granted in the order they are requested.

We are using races from the fortress defense mod and sawmills from the corrosion mod. In order to make this less suicidal humans have been modded to be able to make steel, adamantine and pig iron. Children have also been altered, humans are born as children rather than babies so they can be assigned to a safe burrow rather than be used as an arrow catching device by their mothers and children grow up at seven years of age so they don't drain our resources too long.

Links done by Der Metzger, which I am very grateful for.
The History of Bridgedstreams

Grim Portent: 1, 2, 3
Splint: 1, 2, 3, 4
highmax28: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10,11,12,13, 14
Proto105 (unfinished): 1, 2, 3, 4
Splint (second): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Karkov: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Side Storys:

squidgen: 1
Grim Portent: 1, 2
Splint: 1, 2
4maskwolf: 1
BlackFlyme: 1
bsnott: 1

Random Screenshots: 1

I will occasionally post a poll asking questions about possible alterations to make if we found a sequel when this fort dies.

Previous poll results:
Thread voted to mod in Warrior Nobles.

WARNING:The fort is currently afflicted by a bug. Highmax causes the game to crash when you try to alter military gear while he's in the squad. If you need to alter his uniform take him out of the squad first then make the changes then put him back in. This seems to have resolved itself.

Current turns:
Grim Portent (Finished)
Splint (Finished)
Dwarvinator (Skipped)
Highmax28 (Finished)
squidgen (Skipped)
Proto105 (Unfinished)
Splint (Finished)
Karkov (Finished)
Urist Mc Dwarf (Unfinished)
4maskwolf (Delayed)
Grim Portent (Finished)
Proto105
smurfingtonthethird

Current dorfed people
Highmax28 (Woodcutter/Axeman)
Splint (Spearman)
Grim Portent (Spearman)
Fishybang (Fisherman)
squidgen (Smith)
Karkov (Mason)
Fodientum (Woodcutter)
Maskwolf (Carpenter)
Firecrazy (Craftsman)
Proto (Planter)
BlackFlyme (Axeman)

To be dorfed
Der Metzger
Evilsx

Roll of Honour (a list of important things done by the players)
First elite soldiers: Splint
First marriage: Highmax28, it was also his human that got married.
First childbirth: Splint, the child was that of Highmax and the Chief Physician.
First ambush defeated:
First siege defeated: Splint

Old Post:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:07:59 am by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Human succession fort
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 03:24:04 pm »

Im gonna post to watch, but I'm interested. can I be dorfe- I mean, in this case, Humanized?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 03:39:00 pm »

Yeah Humanization (Humaning?) will be done if the fort gets any interest.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 03:55:21 pm »

Well if it does ill take a human who never does anything but fishes, other then Eat, sleep and drink of coarse  ;)
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 04:04:14 pm »

Ideas: Human whaling village.  This would require an increase in whale populations, etc. in the raws.  Basically, their entire economy would be from the whaling industry, with a some help from the fishing industry.  Whale meat, whale bones, etc.  I like the idea of a wooden fort set on the coast for this.  Maybe even create a few more varieties of whales to make this a viable strategy. 

Also, PTW, and I may be down to participate. 
Quote from: Xune
Urist McFred cancels these pants: too sexy.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 04:06:17 pm »

Make me an Axe Weilder/woodcutter. I'll down your trees for you ;D And when there no more trees, throw me in the military; because if I can chop down a tree quickly, you're not gonna fare any better

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 04:10:41 pm »

Ideas: Human whaling village.  This would require an increase in whale populations, etc. in the raws.  Basically, their entire economy would be from the whaling industry, with a some help from the fishing industry.  Whale meat, whale bones, etc.  I like the idea of a wooden fort set on the coast for this.  Maybe even create a few more varieties of whales to make this a viable strategy. 

I like this idea, not certain how to catch whales reliably but I suppose a method could be devised. Maybe something like the process used to farm sea serpents and mermaids.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 04:32:35 pm »

As long as we don't get zombie giant sperm whales that I get in my DF nightmares, we'll be fine.

Right? Right? Guys? oh crap...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 04:38:45 pm »

That is both glorious and horrifying.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 04:55:17 pm »

I had once upon a time fully functioning DF human civ with the requisite modifcations to make them useable (Nobles, renamed units/proper plurals of soldiers, fixed a couple reactions up to give them a competitive edge  when coal mining comes into play,) and went so far as to give them a weaker form of steel; cost the same resources for something not quite as good but better than iron. Also copied over the sawmill from Corrosion to allow for somewhat efficient building of palisade defenses.

Massive amount of weapons compared to a dwarf can make arming a militia a bit tedious though if you wanna go full-on badass having the likes of halberds and claymores available and easily used by most humans is good, though they need to be crazy skilled to block most of the incoming shots from enemy archers since they can't use a shield and still hit easily...

Anyway, despite being humans that doesn't bar them from being played semi-dwarfy, in the sense that digging down (say for shelter or to access the caverns) is perfectly reasonable and still fits. Hell most of my human settlements generally had a semi-extensive network of basements and tunnels connecting storehouses to the main tavern/dorm and barracks... Wow I just went way overboard with the rant there. Anyways, I've played humans and it can be quite enjoyable, provided you can get defenses erected quickly enough.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 04:58:44 pm »

This might set a dangerous precedent as everything you'll do will be humane by definition. :P
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 05:02:50 pm »

~snip~

If this gets off the ground it won't be my first human fort, mostly play humans these days to be honest. I haven't modded them much, gave them a copy+paste of the dwarf nobles with a bit of renaming done and added steel making. Though I'm open to as much mucking about with human RAWs as is deemed fun. Or !!FUN!!.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 05:12:15 pm »

If you do decide to play as humans, you will need to remove their [VARIABLE_POSITIONS] token in their entity file, and replace it with the standard dwarvern ones. Otherwise you won't have access to any nobles or militia. Though you may want to modify them a bit to be more distinct from the dwarvern variants.

Also, humans don't have access to steel, as well as a few other reactions. You may want to take a look and see what you would want to give to them.

Ninja'd while I was typing.

I'd recommend getting a rock-block industry made up fairly early if you want walled towns. Though raw clay can work just as well, since it can be collected indefinitely.

One thing you can do if you want less migrants is to make world-gen end at an early year, and set humans to have a lower population. Though this will have a problem later in the fort's life where some of the migrants that do show up will be the merchants that visited you earlier in the forts, and they will be marked as friendly instead of as a proper citizen.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 07:12:52 pm »

Agreed, in the end a quarry will be a necessity to build defenses if nothing else. And oddly the idea of building a big-ass stone bridge over a magor river comes to mind for a project with the town growing up around the crossing point. Plus with a major river, one could build small docks for ferries and such...

Just a thought/stupid idea though.

Oh, and if you never got dwarf caravans it's because of something in the raws. I can't for the life of me remember how I fixed it but if you already addressed that then good for you.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 08:18:59 pm »

Agreed, in the end a quarry will be a necessity to build defenses if nothing else. And oddly the idea of building a big-ass stone bridge over a magor river comes to mind for a project with the town growing up around the crossing point. Plus with a major river, one could build small docks for ferries and such...

Just a thought/stupid idea though.

Oh, and if you never got dwarf caravans it's because of something in the raws. I can't for the life of me remember how I fixed it but if you already addressed that then good for you.

Change the month the humans come?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 53