Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If we make a sequel should I let humans make steel in it?

Yes.
- 16 (80%)
No.
- 4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 53

Author Topic: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress - (Players needed!)  (Read 93046 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress
« Reply #375 on: October 28, 2013, 07:56:24 pm »

Dwarves wear plants and wool too. And honestly I figure something considered a luxury good (silk) by other races would still be at least somewhat desired by our settlement just to have it. Pigtails can go and suck it. I hear it's coarse and unpleasant anyway.
I don't understand how pig tails can be so expensive... SILK is cheaper!

I'm gonna assume it's because of the value it holds to dwarves: It's their primary means of providing themselves with many necessities without risking being killed by spiders, trolls, or what have you, from clothing and mill bags to a large portion of their medical supplies. Plus there's the time spent tending them and such in the fields, and the fact that you can make ale from pigtails. You can't do that with silk, which alone probably makes it worth more to dwarves. I think Ropereed has a similar value if I'm not mistaken for the same reasons for surface races.

Regular silk is cheap because cave spiders of the tiny variety are extremely commonplace; Hell I wouldn't be shocked at if dwarves just had crews of web collectors constantly trawling the apartments for webs gathering in the corners when they aren't desperate. GCS Silk however is at least on par with pigtail fiber cloth because more the risks involved than anything. After all, if I were the one who was gathering that shit I'd demand a good price for it.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 28, 2013, 08:06:00 pm »

I think I'd demand a helmet as an advance payment.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 28, 2013, 08:16:03 pm »

If possible, I'd like to be humanized.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 28, 2013, 08:19:26 pm »

I think we all agree that human fortress s quite interesting...

Might I suggest we use the Norse Fortress mod when you finish it for Bridgestreams II? This place will last until idiot #20 arrives and all the Jotun and Furies show up
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 28, 2013, 08:22:54 pm »

I haven't read through all of the posts, so I don't know if this has been proposed already, but I think it would be wise to give every citizen some basic military training and a suit of armor in order to limit casualties to civilians.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 28, 2013, 08:35:36 pm »

I haven't read through all of the posts, so I don't know if this has been proposed already, but I think it would be wise to give every citizen some basic military training and a suit of armor in order to limit casualties to civilians.
I gotta do that for bloody age, but against Jotun, it doesn't matter

EDIT:
We should be Saxons/Englishmen and have every citizen trained with bows!

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 28, 2013, 08:37:11 pm »

That would be somewhat difficult to do, due to time, resources, and the fact that hunters, miners, and woodcutters need special consideration due to a bug that interferes with their uniforms. But since we have few humans, it is definitely within the realm of possibilities.

Speaking of which, how's our stocks looking?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 28, 2013, 08:39:55 pm »

EDIT:
Pardon my ignorance, but what are Jotun? Also, I am in complete agreement with the bow assessment.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 28, 2013, 08:41:36 pm »

Jotun are horrible enemies that are basically too large to kill. They come from the fortress defense mod. Fortunately there aren't any in this world.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 28, 2013, 08:58:28 pm »

Unless we have a ready supply of bones to turn into training ammo, putting everyone through the basics of melee would probably be a better idea. Plus people tend to die because while they'll fire on enemies in self defense, they can easily be swarmed while they reload (which the game dictates they must do before retreating,) plus training everyone to be a decent shot woulld take a rediculous amount of bones or building supplies that we really shouldn't waste right now.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 28, 2013, 09:01:19 pm »

That's true. I still think it would be awesome, though.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 28, 2013, 09:03:11 pm »

Unless we have a ready supply of bones to turn into training ammo, putting everyone through the basics of melee would probably be a better idea. Plus people tend to die because while they'll fire on enemies in self defense, they can easily be swarmed while they reload (which the game dictates they must do before retreating,) plus training everyone to be a decent shot woulld take a rediculous amount of bones or building supplies that we really shouldn't waste right now.
We have bone arrows on repeat... We got PLENTY... And we got wood also, so we can make wooden arrows if we run out and wait for more

EDIT:
Pardon my ignorance, but what are Jotun? Also, I am in complete agreement with the bow assessment.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You see that guy with the hammer? That's Thor...

See the big bleeding thing on the ground? THAT is a Jotun... Thor is the Jotun Hunter (aka Giant Hunter). Jotun are the forces that oppose Midgard (earth) and constantly fight the Aesir (the "Gods"), their enemies. Loki is a Jotun adopted by Odin. There are also three kings of Jotun: Nifel Jotun (ice giants), Sons of Muspell (fire giants) and "Normal" Jotun. I put normal in quotations because Jotun can have horns, multiple heads, look animalike (apparently as Grim states), etc. They're also REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY big... Like the oldest of dragons pale in size, and I think only the giant sperm whale is their rival in size... though if I read the number right, the Jotun tower THEM

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 28, 2013, 09:48:45 pm »

... Oh geez. And I'm correct in assuming that they wear armor and use weapons? That's just... Unfair...

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 28, 2013, 11:47:37 pm »

... Oh geez. And I'm correct in assuming that they wear armor and use weapons? That's just... Unfair...
Some shoot fireballs as well as that. Torched a poor wolf that never stood a chance. I sent four legendary dwarves and all died killing at least 8 Jotun and drowning one of them I think. There was like 4 left, but they decimated the corpses of the dwarves.

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 29, 2013, 03:11:43 am »

I made some crossbows yesterday, due to a misclick. I will melt them down and make bows becaise we have so many arrows but not that many bolts. Also, why did we build towers?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 53