Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If we make a sequel should I let humans make steel in it?

Yes.
- 16 (80%)
No.
- 4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 53

Author Topic: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress - (Players needed!)  (Read 93098 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress
« Reply #450 on: November 15, 2013, 08:25:01 am »

It's not really worth the time it takes but it's nicely thematic for surface forts.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 15, 2013, 08:27:45 am »

It's not really worth the time it takes but it's nicely thematic for surface forts.
Its no dwarven wine, but it works, right?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 17, 2013, 12:53:33 am »

7th Granite, 195

Highmax and his sparring partner are skilled enough that the rest of us deem them passable (if not exactly adaquate,) axemen. Given a year or so more of constant drills, sparring, and traiing I'll feel sorry for the stupid bastard who decides to pick a fight with us.

10th Granite, 195

I decided, at Highmax's request, to dedicate a small area to hives and thus the production of mead. Eventually anyway. We'll need to wait or Hathur and Ab to finish their current assignment to dig the storage cellars for the honeycombs; plus we'll need lots of jugs and barrels. In the meantime though, other than the already established hives, I'll look into getting more set up. until then though, I've put in to have a press set up and the facility for a soap maker's shop built, as I didn't see one around town, though I may just be blind or stupid or something.

11th Granite, 195

Eri decided to name her shield. Frozenwade, The Drips of Shaming. The hell kind of name is that?

16th Granite, 195

Put the shitstone to use building an extra bridge on the other side of the tavern. Figure it'll cut out some travle time from the watch tower (if we ever have the people to man it) and the housing.

17th Granite, 195

The damned buzzards are back. Gods am I sick of those stupid things.

21st Granite, 195

Damned bird flew into the tavern. Grim and one oft he dogs were understandably startled by this, and now said buzzard is now in two pieces thanks to the mutt tearing off one of its legs. A second flew in not long after with two more dogs on its heels and the damned thing went right for my food! I cracked it one with my spear and sent it into the dogs who readily tore the bastard apart.

24th Granite, 195

More than half the flock's dead now, mostly from them flying into the tavern or the barracks and trying to get at the food stores. These things are beginning to be a real fucking menace, more so than normal.

25th Granite, 195

I.... I don't believe it... But... but how?

I... I mean I... The most I hoped for were dwarves or maybe, gods forbid, friendly goblins... But... Who... How...

So, I decided that since we're still getting "no migrants attracted" messages, that must mean that there are still (likely subjugated,) humans out there. I decided to try the force event script to see if anything would happen and with a completely decimated civ usually nothing happens (as I tried it before with dead civs to no avail.) That is indeed a small caravan from "home." I hope you guys aren't mad at me for using that script! I didn't think it'd do anything to be honest.

Brothers and sisters, we are not as alone as we once suspected.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 17, 2013, 01:01:25 am »

Hmm, the caravan makes the plot a bit weird but I'm sure we can work around it RP-wise. The force event script is supposed to force events even if they can't happen so I'm not surprised it did this. I am surprised it spawned a Treasurer though. I do hope this doesn't make caravans a regular thing.

From an in story perspective these would likely be scavengers or something who pick through the ruins of our dead civ.

EDIT: Maybe the civ is still pseudo alive because of a bandit group or something?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 01:05:58 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 17, 2013, 01:09:16 am »

What was odd was how we were getting "No migrants attracted" messages. That doesn't/shouldn't happen with a completely dead civ. I'm under the impression that while we were soundly beaten and scattered, we weren't totally broken.

I'm just shocked it actually did anything. Last time I tried this with a trounced dwarven civ it did absolutely nothing: No caravan, no liaison, nadda. However manpower shortages were alleviated by the use of broodlords/mothers since it was masterwork. So clearly there's more to us than our meager band.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 17, 2013, 01:13:09 am »

We definitely have no actual territory. I checked using a copy after embarking back at the start. It has to be bandits, I can't think of anything else that it could be.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 17, 2013, 01:18:33 am »

Anything's possible. Bandits have been known to respond to a strangled cry from the motherland for its sons and daughters to come back and help her any way they can...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 17, 2013, 01:23:57 am »

Hmm, dwarves don't have a banditry token, so you never get dwarf bandits. Humans do, and bandits are still considered part of their civ. So at some point in the three decades our civ existed some guys branched off and decided to make their own way, but since civs can't attack bandits they survived the genocide of our people.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 17, 2013, 01:33:13 am »

Splint, in bloody age, I got the message for a long time, so I don't know why it's a big show thing? It shows regardless, but I'm interested. If you can, try that script with bloody age and post the results on there.

As for the mead thing...

"Thank you kind sir for making mead. Now I must continue with my constant bashing of my partner here..." *smacks sparring buddy with the blunt side of the axe*"God this is so easy and fun..."

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 17, 2013, 01:38:30 am »

I'd need a save to try it for you. I probably derped and din't notice if you posted one though. It just seems like it's screaming the only reason a fort doesn't get people is because of no-one from home visiting and reporting that shit to the civ.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 17, 2013, 01:46:32 am »

I certainly hope we don't start getting migrant waves, would really spoil the whole 'Last of our kind' feel the fort has.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 17, 2013, 01:51:29 am »

Not really. Lives would still be precious unless for some bizarre reason we get huge waves of people, and even then we'd need to be careful for a variety of reasons.

Too many sudden refugees would likely tax our ability to care for them, possibly resulting in mass starvation.
Too many deaths and we'd still stand a good chance of... Well, accidentally wiping out what little population there might still be.
... Okay, so only two, but still.

However, the upside is that with even just a few more people, we'll finally have more exciting reports other than "More fucking buzzards." Honestly the place is really fucking dull as is gameplay wise, with little to do besides sit on one's ass and hope a bird picks a fight with someone.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 17, 2013, 01:56:52 am »

Mmm, the tweak makeown command could be used to steal some of the caravan members as a quick pop boost I suppose. It would push us just over the bracket for low grade enemies to arrive.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 17, 2013, 02:10:58 am »

Or, you know, pump MOAR babies?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 17, 2013, 02:12:08 am »

With only two married couples that's easier said than done.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 53