Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let's Play Shores of Hazeron!  (Read 2630 times)

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play Shores of Hazeron!
« on: June 07, 2014, 12:47:34 pm »

Shores of Hazeron

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Welcome to Shores of Hazeron, the beautiful, laggy, free, space-based MMO where you take control of a member or leader of an empire and lead it to success amongst the procedurally generated stars. This Let's Play is going to have as much community involvement as possible, as it is made with the dual-intents of providing some entertainment and encouraging the growth of a new BS12 empire in this game.

What is Shores of Hazeron, exactly? It's an MMO Empire Builder. When you start up a new character, you are greeted by the following screen:
You can either start an empire from scratch, or join an existing one. An existing one has the benefits of letting you play alongside other people and build up cities with the support of an already existing infrastructure (Plus you can just fly spaceships about, if you want). A new empire has a lot more challenges and can be a lot more fun. That's what we'll be starting up.

This is where community involvement will come in, I'm going to need guidance on what our empire is going to be about:

Spoiler: Empire Creation Screen (click to show/hide)

This is the first screen we see after selecting 'New Empire', it's full of information I'll need suggestions on:

Spoiler: Empire Name (click to show/hide)

First, I'll need an Empire Name.

Spoiler: Galaxy and Sector (click to show/hide)

I hadn't played SoH in a while, so this bit took me by surprise. Essentially, the galaxy select lets us choose whether we want PvP and the full game or PvE and limitations, we'll be going full PvP (Shores of Hazeron). The System Proximity (Which I'll need suggestions on) means 'How close are you to other empires'. Named Sector means we will be in the same sector as another empire's city. Unnamed Sector means we will be in a sector that someone has passed through but hasn't placed a city in yet. New Sector means we will be far away from anything.

Side note: There are actually 20 galaxies in the game, at least one of which seems to have been claimed in its entirety by other player empires.

Spoiler: Government Type (click to show/hide)

Government Type is another option open for you guys to decide on, it governs how the positions in our empire will interact with one another. The default (And least buggy, as far as I'm aware) is Dictatorship.

Finally for empire creation, I will need a Flag or Flag Description to go by (I'm no artist, the best I can do is a knocked together thing in Paint). I'd prefer a pre-made flag image, if only to save me a bit of work and/or embarrassment.

Then we advance onto avatar creation:

Spoiler: Avatar Creation (click to show/hide)

What this mess of detail means is that we can create just about anything, from avian to reptile to crustacean (Yes, Dr Zoidberg creatures are vaguely possible), it can be made. Keep in mind, however, that things that aren't human generally look quite horrifying at first glance (And don't much improve by the second glance, either). Bits that might be harder to understand: Weapon Type, Mode and Location refer to your race's in-built offensive capability (Like a snake's poison bite), the type governs the damage type, the mode governs whether it's ranged or not, and location is where on your body the weapon is situated.

I'll need an Avatar Description to round everything off, I'll try and match the best one as closely as possible.

Summary

I need:
  • Empire Name
  • Sector Proximity: Remember, 'Named' means there is already an empire in the sector, 'Unnamed' means someone has just passed through it, 'New' means nobody's seen it before.
  • Government Type: Choices listed above.
  • Flag or Flag Description: Flag preferred.
  • Avatar Description: Can stick to the default (Human) or can get inventive.

Since I doubt this will gain too much attention, I'll be taking the first suggestions posted as my guideline.

Thoughts for the Future

When the time comes, the empire will be thrown open for all Bay12 members to join up if they so wish.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:55:27 pm by Ringmaster »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Shores of Hazeron!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 09:22:35 pm »

... isn't there already a Bay12 empire?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 10:06:44 pm »

As far as I know it went inactive a while ago.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 10:11:00 pm »

Ah. Well, I'm not too surprised, really.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 12:29:10 pm »

Make a dwarf, obviously. Short humanoid, strong, use the cilia mouth to make a "beard".
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 02:43:04 pm »

Weapon Type: Laser Beams
Mode: Ranged

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 04:06:20 am »

As far as I know it went inactive a while ago.
More accurately, there is a long trail of inactive Bay12 empires through the years.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 10:20:53 am »

Make a dwarf, obviously. Short humanoid, strong, use the cilia mouth to make a "beard".
....+1.
And I guess for empire creation, we should make a Banana Republic, just so we can call our leader/s, El Presidente.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 01:26:18 pm »

Following closely, mainly so I can tell what to do when I want to start my own empire. XD
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 08:44:01 pm »

as tall as possible
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 08:44:58 pm »

The game has shut down, so you're a little late  :'(
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 01:15:46 am »

Damn, really?

Damn.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei