Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice Issues  (Read 3599 times)

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
Ice Issues
« on: October 06, 2013, 03:19:29 pm »

So, it's summer at my new fort and the water is all wonky
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And at the top
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Why is it not unfreezing all the way?
The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 03:45:15 pm »

Is your embark accross several bioms?  I've never seen that in particular before but my guess would be the southern half of your embark is a biom that is cold but thaws out in the summer and the northern half is a freezing biom that never thaws.  Not sure why you'd get a few patches of liquid water under the ice in that situation however.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 03:53:57 pm »

Biome boundaries could get that uneven, but the cluster of bauxite says it's right in the middle of an embark tile. Do biome boundaries ever get that far into an embark tile?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 04:59:52 pm »

It's all one biome

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 05:54:50 pm »

Biome boundaries could get that uneven, but the cluster of bauxite says it's right in the middle of an embark tile. Do biome boundaries ever get that far into an embark tile?

Biome boundaries can get right to the center of an embark tile, if you embark in a half grassland/half forest biome for example. You may also get one biome as igneous extrusive and the other as sedimentary.

There can also be variations within biomes, for example the same forest biome is partly warm and partly temperate. The same applies to aquifer presence, soil, and minerals.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 06:08:36 am »

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 10:26:49 am »

It's all one biome
I think you are wrong here. Biome boundaries are the only known (for me at least) cause for the effect you observe. You see, there don't have to be actually two different biomes. You can very easily have one cold grassland bordering another cold grassland, with no differences in plants or wildlife whatsoever, and in that case the border would hardly be noticeable in game. I would advise copying the region and checking the embark tile for biome boundaries, if you haven't already done that.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 01:04:37 pm »

With respect to the previous discussion, are we quite sure that the worldgen temperature mesh is, in fact, tied to biomes? I'd be quite surprised if it is, considering that forests and mountain ranges can have a rather large north-south range, while temperature is much more consistent of a gradient. AD may have found a temperature border within a single biome. Experienced players may recall any number of times that snow across a single-biome embark melted in stages.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 01:33:25 pm »

As far as I've always seen, temperature and weather are tied directly to biomes, happening all across their biome all at once. That's why you can get snowstorms in a multi-biome embark that will perfectly outline the biome they're happening in, and no farther. And if you have a large body of water running across said embark, you can see that the freeze/thaw line will coincide exactly with the snowstorm/biome boundary. The wobbliness of the line comes from the game fudging biome boundaries like it does with terrain, so everything doesn't end up blocky.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 04:28:55 pm »

Also, the snow as cooperative and all of it melted at the same time, which really is odd

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 09:40:57 am »

Don't question it.

Just built an ice fortress in a temperate biome. Tell nature to go home and get a new job.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."