Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Raptors, raptors everywhere  (Read 2741 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Raptors, raptors everywhere
« on: October 08, 2013, 02:24:51 am »

Every single MW fortress I build (at  least since version 3), regardless of biome, is always terrorized by raptors.  I can't think of any other wild animal I've seen more than twice.  Is there a reason they are so common? Is there a way to change that?

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Raptors, raptors everywhere
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 03:07:52 am »

The game is hinting you should catch them and open your own version of Jurassic Park. :O

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 03:22:40 am »

Dragon or normal raptors? Supposedly Meph tried to removed dragon raptors from appearing on biomes by removing said biomes they would appear in from the raws. I've never had an issue with normal raptors, though they make really nice pets once you armor and train them, get a herd large enough and it's even worth glyph-ing them. Walls, bridges and cage traps are your friend, collect them all! Keep in mind though, they can open doors. :)

creature_monster_masterwork.txt in the raws has the normal raptor entry if you want to mess with their biomes or frequency... or existence.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 05:49:13 pm by BoffoDorf »

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 05:14:46 am »

You should do a raptor pit, after I saw how dangerous are those forrest spiders, I try every game to get a Spider pit to slay those pesky invaders inside my cages.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 06:12:45 am »

cage traaaaaaps ftw

fkn hate forest spiders faaaar more than raptors..

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 06:35:55 am »

I force myself not to use cage traps generally.  I may make an exception early on for maps with raptors.

Oh, I forgot about the forest spiders, they are a pain too.

I'd never checked out the raws for raptors before.  Doesn't look like they should be particularly frequent, I must just be having an anomalous experience.

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 08:30:12 am »

Most vicious and early-fortress dooming animal yet for are the xen infectors.

I haven't seen one since my last wastelands embark, but thinking of them just gives me nightmares.

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 10:32:43 am »

cage traaaaaaps ftw

fkn hate forest spiders faaaar more than raptors..

Those spider likes to Latch on firmly in the head, then shake it til your head sails off in a arc...

... HARDCORE

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 10:31:31 pm »

An untrained/unarmored Raptor vs Forest spider is what you mentioned ether, caught in web and endless throwing of the raptor around by the head. It generally takes a bit of time to kill the raptor though so a second raptor added to the pack is free to rip the spider apart before the first gets killed.

Now if you just take an untrained steelclad raptor though, it seems they are not too bothered by the webbing and just tear the spider apart unscathed. Two spiders will do an armored raptor damage, but still, two dead spiders. Now, if you combine spider and armored raptors on the same team...  oh my, that team can do some damage even without training :o

Keep in mind that raptors breed fast when given nest boxes of their own. Also, when armoring, one bar converts the entire group you pastured on top of the workshop.

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 03:43:39 am »

An untrained/unarmored Raptor vs Forest spider is what you mentioned ether, caught in web and endless throwing of the raptor around by the head. It generally takes a bit of time to kill the raptor though so a second raptor added to the pack is free to rip the spider apart before the first gets killed.

Now if you just take an untrained steelclad raptor though, it seems they are not too bothered by the webbing and just tear the spider apart unscathed. Two spiders will do an armored raptor damage, but still, two dead spiders. Now, if you combine spider and armored raptors on the same team...  oh my, that team can do some damage even without training :o

Keep in mind that raptors breed fast when given nest boxes of their own. Also, when armoring, one bar converts the entire group you pastured on top of the workshop.

How I could past this? So if they breed fast, and they are cheap to train, for sure are better than Forrest spiders, The spider will only have the advantage of utility, like web cages, and silk farms.

Actually never try both of those options, but, Mep says the mod are going to enter in a stable phase so, I can stop doing test runs and do a serious fortress. I will  need all the tips and overpower mechanics I could craft.

My idea is have a whole themed "Arcane Fortress ", a mage tower.  with mage militias, and necromancers (lichs), but is the Lichs have a lot of advantages, will like to turn all my important dwarves into Lichs (to give then the immunities).

The meat tanks are going to be beast of various types, that why I need to choose the best or the bests beast or jack-of-all-trades combo.

I wish to get too Elephants but really never saw those in the elves traders, and never shows the option to ask for those for the next year caravan.

If someone knows, we can talk by PMs.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 06:36:39 am »

I've seen elephants, I think. I believe I was embarked on savannah. It's hard to get options for all pets every embark, if even possible. You just have to work with what you are offered though you can usually manage at least one designee by being picky on embarks.

I'm ready for a stable period too. I was up to year 105 after my standard start at 101 (that's far for me!) with 4a when 4b came out. Almost up to 200 pop again. At least I got to give the guildhall a workout for a change and got a bunch of dwarves into guilds, and managed to get one magic altar up and start training an air mage (didn't complete first training though.) Had an extensive metal industry, though was still mostly training smiths.

Then I lost power and decided not to keep going since 4b was out. I think I will try kobolds again, but this time build on stilts.

BoffoDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 06:10:44 pm »

I looked around and honestly, the giant drow spider is a better deal than the forest spider. Drow spider is 5 -10 times larger, breeds twice as fast, is faster, and can easily be hunter trained. Never mind that the drow always have their spiders for sale.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 12:18:24 am »

I looked around and honestly, the giant drow spider is a better deal than the forest spider. Drow spider is 5 -10 times larger, breeds twice as fast, is faster, and can easily be hunter trained. Never mind that the drow always have their spiders for sale.

Speaking of giant drow spiders does anyone know the range of their webbing?  I have a captive goblin mount giant drow spider, one layer of fortification, a two tile bridge, and moleweasel on the other side chained up.  So the moleweasel is 6 tile away when it tries to run but won't be webbed by the drow spider.  I know that moleweasels are friendly to nature but I figured that a mount would attack anything.

So its F= Fortification. S=Spider B=Bridge when down M=Moleweasel running as far as it can  C= Chain   . = nothing
F S F
F F F
B B B
B B B
.  .  .
. C  .
. M .

As for the original posted question about the raptors, could it be possible to use a dfhack script to kill all of them?  Would slay race work?  That's all I can think of besides avoiding biomes that tend to spawn them.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:23:26 am by kamikazi1231 »

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 12:45:19 am »

Are you using a update version of MWdf? Raptors are not a issue anymore, their spawn was reduced because they were early fort destroyers.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 06:25:44 am »

Cagetraps also work.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::