Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bionic Dues  (Read 4931 times)

Trevasaurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bionic Dues
« on: October 09, 2013, 03:14:45 am »

Just saw this game pop up on steam today and after finding out it was being done by Arcen Games (guys behind AI War) I decided to pick up a copy. I have to say I am having a lot of fun with it. It describes itself as a rogue-lite but besides the procedural loot and random consoles it plays like a pretty standard top down turn based rpg. The basic premise is that you are trying to control an uprising from sentient AI-driven bots and have 50 days to prepare for a full assault on your HQ. You take a team of four mechs into a variety of procedurally generated missions with the goal of strengthening your forces and weakening the AI enough to win the final battle. While you can only control one mech at a time it is possible to switch between them on the fly to take advantage of each ones abilities. The meta game is the most interesting aspect of the game for me, you can monitor the AIs attack force between missions and watch the gradual build up as you get close to the climatic final fight. Like their previous games Arcen have kept a solid pacing to the game that makes you feel the consequences of every action and a manageable situation can quickly escalate out of control on the higher difficulties.

If you enjoy turn based rpgs I highly recommend this one as it has a bunch of unique features which really adds to the overall experience and hey who doesnt like blowing up robots in big hulking mech suits :) As far as a rogue-like I would say it is very light on random features in the various missions (although with Arcen I think that will change over time, seriously these guys provide such solid support for their games its amazing) but their is a solid level of customization for your own mech suits and with 6 different pilots to choose from with very different bonuses I think there will be a serious amount of replayibility in this game.

Its currently on sale for 25% off so now is a good time to pick it up if you are interested.

Steam page - http://store.steampowered.com/app/238910/
Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKONMtX-UAo 

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Bionic Dues
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 10:29:53 am »

I kinda glossed over it when I saw it come out on steam, but then I saw an article for it and saw that it was by Arcen games.  :)  I think I'll pick it up sometime if only because they usually do interesting stuff(although not always good stuff).  ;)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 11:58:04 am »

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 02:23:35 pm »

I didn't even notice this game come out, and I'd have probably skipped over it without looking at the details if I had... but it looks like the sort of thing I'd enjoy, so thanks for pointing it out :)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 09:49:56 pm »

Got it and... it's pretty nice. Think that's basically all I could say on the subject.

That said. Folks that also have it. Any ideas on wise ways to use the ninja or the brawler? Right now, getting close in general just seems kinda' suicide, and rolling assault/sniper/siege/science seems a no-brainer. I can sorta' see how the ninja in particular might be useful (once you've got enough stealth kit to really get some ninja time), but...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 10:01:52 pm »

Can't spend money right now, but am probably picking it up when I can. I love meta-campaigns that matter, and the roguelike-ish nature of the actual gameplay seems pretty good. I saw a few LPs from people who weren't careful, and it became TOUGH.

I hope you can customise the 50 day thing. I feel like that might be a few too many days to get to the interesting/hard bits!

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 02:10:23 am »

Dat song in the trailer.............

Unusedname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 10:51:49 am »

Some of the screenshots look intimidating.

But that city view looks so enticing. Reminds me of Democracy.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 11:48:32 am »

Man, Arcen Games marketing is just terrible :(

This game could've gotten so much interest if they'd advertised and sent early builds out to game reviewers. Now it's out, it's nowhere near the steam top sales list. It looks like it's on the path to flop miserably because noone realised it's out, and there's no excitement over it because not only do people not know it's out, they also don't know it exists...

Also, they could do with getting their in-game graphics a little bit better. Could be enough to attract a whole new market segment. Of course, this assumes the market segment is aware of the existence of the game......

This really pisses me off, because I read a whole lot about Arcen Games yesterday, and they are an AMAZING game company.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 01:01:22 pm »

What always amazes me is their sheer output.  I swear they release a game every few months.  And its a different genre every time.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 01:44:51 pm »

Well, I'm guessing it's the product of two things: first of all, they don't really focus on graphics, which makes it a lot faster to get visuals for a game and to program the game itself. Second, we've become used to lots of amateurs making games, which simply takes a lot of time. These guys are pros :)

Also, I think they're always working on a few titles at a time, so it's not as linear a process as we'd expect.

Still pissed off at their non-existing marketing >:( They should know better...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 11:56:23 pm »

Not much to contribute to the more meta discussion, so...

... I just want to note that high trap skill (low 30s, currently) sentry turrets are completely and utterly insane. My science bot right now, about... 12? Days into the game, can spit out 45 sentry turrets. Each of them have >1.5k shields, hit from ~17 squares out, and deal >1.1k damage per shot with a 26-27 shot capacity. One of these things could mostly explode my entire bot force in a straight up match. I have over 40. On one of my exos. Seriously. Completely ridiculous. It took three (and then, only because I didn't feel like luring the rest of the map to the first two I put down) to completely wipe an assassination mission. I had spares left over! Numerous spares!

S'kinda' glorious.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trevasaurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 02:09:44 am »

I wondered what the trap skill was for..... I thought it had something to do with spotting those mines, I had no idea it could be that awesome. Looks like Ill be heading back to the city again and trying out the science bot for more than just hacking open doors for the delicious loot inside. I might try to create a virus-spewing ninja as well but the ratio of bot hp:damage and low ammo counts means relying on converted bots to do my fighting for me will be a risky endeavor. Fun little game though, I have definitely gotten my moneys worth already and there seems to be a decent amount of replayability in it and coupled with the solid support Arcen is known for I can see many more hours of robot destruction in my future. I have to agree that they could do with some better marketing for their games, I probably wouldn't have paid this game much attention if I wasnt already a big fan of Arcen and even then I had no idea it was coming out until it popped up on steam. 

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 09:01:53 am »

Caved in and got it while it was on sale, played a little last night. Definitely has that "one more mission" feel - dammit. I find myself losing a few battles, though that's definitely partly my fault.

I had noticed the turrets were becoming pretty strong, but didn't bother pursuing a strategy with them that hard. Especially as I've been mostly getting these tight-corridor tunnels that make deploying them a huge pain.

Anyway, totally not convinced by the Ninja Bot :\

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 09:36:11 am »

Still pissed off at their non-existing marketing >:( They should know better...
As far as I can tell from their forum, there was marketing. But the game has ninja-like stealth for some reason.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: [1] 2 3