Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55]

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 117828 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #810 on: March 13, 2020, 11:06:35 am »

I don't think the chance for AI rebellion goes up if you have AI ships, at least I've never read that anywhere.

But if you do have a rebellion the AI ships will flip, naturally.

The chance is checked whenever you are researching AI technologies (faster research = higher chance, so it doesn't matter if you do it slow or fast).
Boosting significantly increases your chances.

I think it *might* be race dependent too, but I'm not sure (for example zuul are more likely to have a rebellion).
Ah ok. I had thought having more AI systems also increased it. I know the chance is higher while actively researching any AI tech, especially AI Slave tech but once you finish slave tech the rebellion cannot trigger.

IIRC even if you safely research AI techs without a rebellion, if you don't get or don't research slave tech a rebellion can kick off if another race's AI rebels.

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually, i did a few simple things:

• Mod command points of all command sections to 1000 for test purpose, it works, but starts loading super slow.
  • Make my own galaxy generator and use it to generate giant galaxies.
  • Use 4gb patch from here https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371 ... and wow, all became working superfast. Notice, my computer is kinda monster, so i don't sure it will work fine on any system, but still i think it is big way to reborn this game.

What i want to do:

• Get help from experienced modders. If you have any ideas on this, please contact me! Especially about how to work with .X files. I can model tons of staff, or ask friend of mine to help with it, but i don't really sure about how convertion and settings of turrets points+animations works in SotS.
  • Found out how to change camera behavior, especially significantly increase draw distance.
  • Found out ways to mod the AI. I know we can make it's priorities better, but how much can we go?4)Analize all big mods to understand how far i can go about shaders remake and staff.5)Found players to play and test it all in multiplayer.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: May 05, 2021, 11:43:52 am »

Oh, it's been just over a year.  That is a baby Necro, only a couple months away from not even being a Necro.  Hm, I'm reminded that I think I own this game, but have never played it.  Good luck!

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: May 05, 2021, 12:04:44 pm »

You better give it a try. One of the best 4X ever. In a lot of cases much better then Stellaris. Especially then it comes to tech tree and combats.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: May 05, 2021, 01:57:56 pm »

You better give it a try. One of the best 4X ever. In a lot of cases much better then Stellaris. Especially then it comes to tech tree and combats.

I will, I swear, please don't hurt me!  :P

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: May 05, 2021, 02:37:39 pm »

The UI can take some getting used to, but I really like how they handled the different forms of space travel - really gives the races a different feel.

The random tech tree is !!fun!!, in a "I wonder if I'll get any anti-missile and/or armor technologies this game?"-kinda way. Definitely encourages you to work with what you've got, but can be annoying when your race decides that papier-mâché worked well enough for their ancestor's armor, and it'll be good enough for their starships, too!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: May 05, 2021, 11:05:11 pm »

SotS1 is good. I liked SotS2 even more in some ways but it ran really poorly on my computer at the time, so I would have to rate SotS1 superior. I did spend more time in SotS 2 than 1, but the turns against AI grew very long after about 50 or so. SotS2 had a built in chat even for singleplayer games which was cool though once I felt bad because I told them about Aurora 4x and didn't notice when they talked to me about it because I was blowing up Zuul or something.

I think I read somewhere that SotS 1 may be re-released someday but I'm not sure if that was confirmed by Kerboros (I think they made both 1 and 2) possible, or mere speculation by fans of the series.

I usually played Sol Force or whatnot; later on they became excellent at reinforcing systems under attack if you an intercept fleet within range on their lanes, but the other drive systems were pretty good too (except maybe Hiver, those expanded quite slowly)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 11:07:19 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: May 05, 2023, 04:09:23 am »

It's a great game but I could never bring myself to play it since I got sots2 because my brain tells me the new one should be better so I should play that instead and I don't like that one nearly as much.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: May 05, 2023, 04:25:23 am »

Sots 2 was the one I played the most of, having bought both during the great recession's desperate package deals on games where I got the Sots games and like 10 other decent games for $15 in a Paradox bundle. The thing I mostly didn't like was how poorly it ran on my computer at the time, which admitablly was a frankenstein of old parts even for back then. As far as being a decent game, it was that though it badly could have used mod support and it had some flaws. My main gripe was end turn and then go do something else for half an hour problem.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: May 11, 2023, 06:42:58 pm »

Sword of the Stars 2 was a bit of a rushed, half baked, over ambitious title. SOTS1 is way better imo and is in the all time greats. This thread is making me want to play it again.

Multiplayer is fun too, though gamespy died a long, long time ago.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: May 11, 2023, 11:07:03 pm »

FYI, I still own and have not played this nor its successor.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55]