Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 208414 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I'm trying to decide whether or not to pick up Crimson Court. Reviews on Steam are...mixed. What do people here think?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Haven't played it.  But I've already made the decision that I won't but it until it's on a noteworthy sale.  I don't really like what I'm seeing from the reviews.  The balance issues sound pretty bad.

I've played a little Pitch Black Dungeon, and from what I can tell it's a better experience if you're just looking for more out of the game.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Personally I'd recommend it, I've enjoyed the crimson court quite a bit.

I haven't had any real issues with blood or curse management, and there's a lot of new content between the new dungeon and enemies, all of which I've enjoyed. tbh I can't think of any complaints I have against the DLC.

Also I've noticed that steam reviews for DLC tend to much much lower than they are for games, so personally I tend to mentally bump dlc up a level or two when looking at the reviews. And overall reviews for Crimson Court are at "mostly positive" right now, which is pretty solid by my metric. (though obviously all the top reviews are negative).

Though I've been a fan of Darkest Dungeon even at it's worst, so its no surprise I like it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:35:30 pm by Sindain »
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

It's also worth noting DD has a segment of its player base that is vocally opposed to most of the mid to late Early Access development. I saw a lot more vitriol on their boards than I thought was warranted, even considering I have my own complaints about it. Some people were completely turned off by the RNG streaks, some people thought they put training wheels on the game because it wasn't the most nightmarish, punishing RPG ever made and got easier over the course of EA.

So when you see the red reviews sitting at the top just bear that in mind and read critically and compare against your own game experiences. I haven't played the DLC but my guess is people don't like having their carefully arranged parties upended by curses.

Personally most of my complaints with DD went away once I started save scumming. I wish developers would get past needing enforce that particular challenge in their games. Build your game as hardcore as you want it, then let people manage their saves if they want. People that want it hardcore will play it hardcore, people want the tedium of reloading saves can do it if they want.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Good to know that it's not as bad as a quick read through some reviews indicated.

Still... There is a major overhaul mod that's pretty damn interesting to play while I wait for the DLC to go on sale.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

The thing about the Crimson Curse is that people get too attached to their characters. Once you got the curse, you are pretty much on the clock until you defeat one of the DLC bosses.

The curse can also spread via stress-relief activities if you put a cursed character there, but actually using those activities is not exactly the best idea because the best way to relieve stress is to just take the high-stress character to a run with a jester.

One of the complaints I've seen is that people run out of blood or get wrecked by the first courtyard dungeon. Just put it off until you got a good supply of blood items back at the village and have a full party of level 2s.

Meanwhile, the Flagellant is OP as fuck. He can apply ludicrous amounts of bleed and can heal both himself and others for most of their health.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize a team of adventurers. Crimson Court DLC
« Reply #1281 on: September 20, 2017, 12:28:35 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize a team of adventurers. Crimson Court DLC
« Reply #1282 on: September 20, 2017, 05:04:42 pm »

The thing about the Crimson Curse is that people get too attached to their characters. Once you got the curse, you are pretty much on the clock until you defeat one of the DLC bosses.

I... don't actually feel I´m in trouble. I get blood hunt quests often enough to keep all my infected heroes well provided.

And, well, I kick out of the roster any uninteresting infected hero, that too.

The curse can also spread via stress-relief activities if you put a cursed character there, but actually using those activities is not exactly the best idea because the best way to relieve stress is to just take the high-stress character to a run with a jester.
Or quarantine. ANd mind you, some chars can benefit from the curse. Most notably meleers.

Meanwhile, the Flagellant is OP as fuck. He can apply ludicrous amounts of bleed and can heal both himself and others for most of their health.

Agreed

TBH I bring him along more because of the heal than the bleed, at this point.

Only one flagellant allowed per group, though, so it´s not wise to stock up on them. I think two or three are more than enough.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bump just because I finally got my Kickstarter signed posted framed.

Was damn pricey but looking at it now, it was worth it.

Oh also I suppose it's worth mentioning the Shield Breaker DLC has been out for a while. Some sort of turban'd lady assassin type with a spear and shield.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:39:40 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Shield Breaker DLC.
« Reply #1284 on: November 10, 2017, 08:50:21 pm »

That does look pretty snazzy!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Shield Breaker DLC.
« Reply #1285 on: November 10, 2017, 08:57:39 pm »

If you'll send me your address, a copy of your door key, and a date+time you won't be home, I'd love to swing by and...look at it. Just look. Pinky-swear not to steal it. Honest.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: November 10, 2017, 10:49:26 pm »

How is darkest dungeons? Worth the buy? Is it repetitive at all or is there a lot of variety?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: November 10, 2017, 10:53:48 pm »

Monster variety ++
Environment variety ++
Dank voice acting variety ++
Character class variety +
Trinket and gear variety +
Overall gameplay loop variety =

Think of it as a fairly extensive rogue like board game with great styling and you won't go in with many false assumptions.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: November 11, 2017, 01:17:56 am »

Do note that the game can be really nasty with the RNG...or really nice. You really have to be ok with a run going bad and some people dying to truly enjoy this game.

Personally, I'm fine with it and when I'm in the mood for a nice dark, atmospheric game it is one of my go-tos.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: November 11, 2017, 09:14:23 am »

How is darkest dungeons? Worth the buy? Is it repetitive at all or is there a lot of variety?

Yeah, it's got a lot going for it, but you have to be able to put up with the RNG. Unlike games like DCSS, DF and most roguelikes, you can basically prepare for RNG, whereas DD sometimes just smashes you regardless.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 101