Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95]

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Sequel in the works.  (Read 139382 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Sequel in the works.
« Reply #1410 on: September 06, 2019, 09:25:26 pm »

You know what always makes games enjoyable? Fights you can't run away from or beat. That's great. I love the necromancer after my only ranged character died, and I couldn't run away.

Am I going to die? Absolutely. Will I enjoy 4-6 fucking turns of dying? Nope.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Sequel in the works.
« Reply #1411 on: September 06, 2019, 11:26:26 pm »

Except you absolutely can run away, precisely because you might find yourself in a possibly unwinnable situation and need to call the quest off. AFAIK you can retreat from any battle in the game.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • Make birds speedrun again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: September 07, 2019, 09:21:53 am »

Except you absolutely can run away, precisely because you might find yourself in a possibly unwinnable situation and need to call the quest off. AFAIK you can retreat from any battle in the game.
I suspect you can't run away from the final boss, but yeah.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Does a Laconian believe they descend from Achilles? Does an anon believe a greentext happened? Does a child believe in air? We choose the fake news we want. The eternal memri.tv

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: September 07, 2019, 10:04:56 am »

I quit trying after 3 failures to run away.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: September 07, 2019, 12:03:14 pm »

I didn't say it'd be easy to run away, but if you know you can't win a fight it's far and away better to keep trying to flee than get your whole party killed for no gain. Even if just one survives, that one will gain some experience and bring back any loot you've found.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: September 07, 2019, 04:05:34 pm »

I didn't say it'd be easy to run away, but if you know you can't win a fight it's far and away better to keep trying to flee than get your whole party killed for no gain. Even if just one survives, that one will gain some experience and bring back any loot you've found.

Actually, you have to win the expedition in order to get experience.  Just loot if you run away without completing the mission.  The survivor might even be so screwed up that it isn't worth keeping them.  But that is still more than getting nothing for dying (actually losing a tiny bit, as hero equipment and supplies has some cost).

Protip on the bosses: Read up on them on the wiki before challenging them.  You always know that you're going to face them, the info is right there on how to beat them.  Its kinda cheating yourself of the fun of experiencing them for yourself, but I usually don't indulge in that sort of pleasure, as going in blind usually means losing heroes in order to find out how to fight the bosses.
I think the word you were looking for is "monster".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: September 25, 2019, 11:11:43 am »

With an entire inventory full of serpent scales and dodge for days, yeah, I can see that being doable.
Quote from: Rumi
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, and so I am changing myself.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95]