Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 209952 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Now with...PvP?!?!
« Reply #1440 on: November 17, 2020, 12:27:57 pm »

My biggest complaint is the fact that by doing this they've more or less spat in the face of modders. Modding is a huge part of the DD community, and they even have a Weekly Mod Showcase. A lot players know the names of Marvin Seo, Miraclebutt, and yes, even Muscarine, (Lotta M's there. Huh.), even if they dont play with any mods. Having the game up for a year on a platform that only just got mod support (And a shit one at that), is a pretty big middle finger.
Damn, I hadn't considered that. I guess when you describe Epic as "more console-like" the hate makes a lot more sense. :P

I think this whole hate wave over Epic exclusivity is kind of uncalled for.
It's definitely into meme territory, but there are a lot of little things to hate about Epic. If they wanted to be a shining rival instead of a vile usurper they (mostly) could have done so.

There are however a few games clearly inspired by Darkest Dungeon, even with similar graphics.
Mistover and... Deep Sky Derelicts?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Now with...PvP?!?!
« Reply #1441 on: November 17, 2020, 12:43:49 pm »

Not to turn this into a referendum on Epic Games but....

Throwing cash at devs to guarantee them sales just so they can undercut Steam just doesn't sit well with me. I think it sets a bad precedent when distribution platforms also double as publishers effectively. I like my indie devs to have cash to do better things, sure, but not at the cost of restricting the market. It also further drives developers into the territory of "just selling our game isn't enough, we need cash up front (in addition to our publishing deals and/or previous successes) to pad our earnings." Like, making a good game isn't enough, now there's got to be backend cash as well. I'm glad most other people don't have shit loads of Chinese cash to throw around willy nilly. It's not really honest competition, it's leveraging cash to remove competition. The only saving graces are that it helps devs out and the exclusivity doesn't continue on in perpetuity.

That and I pretty much refuse to step into any more walled gardens.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: November 17, 2020, 06:26:10 pm »

More importantly than epic's sketchy business practices, the epic launcher literally is malware. 

Which is too bad, i enjoyed fortnite but not enough to let my computer be used in ddos attacks against epic and/or the CCP's enemies.

For those interested, here are some links for more info/research for your own ends.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b7d146/is_epic_games_app_a_malware/

Here's a semi refutation of that same idea:

https://nickcano.com/epic-games-spyware/

You can decide for yourself what you believe, but I'm not just blowing smoke.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: October 22, 2021, 05:28:24 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxom3MTlODI

Newest trailer for Darkest Dungeons 2: Road to Ruin.

Holy crap they've upped their animation game. Things look magnificent. I'll have to wait until a Steam release, but this has gotten me excited again!
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. New sequel trailer!
« Reply #1444 on: October 22, 2021, 07:41:56 pm »

Same. I'll pass on Epic. But I expect this will be an early buy for me once it is on Steam.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. New sequel trailer!
« Reply #1445 on: October 23, 2021, 01:45:14 pm »

Hmm, guess I'll probably buy Into the Breach on Steam then if Epic is doing all that weird stuff to people's machines. It was free on Epic and I love the game and completed ... most of it, but I wouldn't mind playing through again. Just one login is easier anyway.

I don't like Steam's gamification but as long as I ignore most AAA games it seems less intrusive.

To actually be on topic, I keep quitting DD like halfway through a run because there's a part around the middle of the campaign that gets boring and tedious for me. I don't know what it is, something about how the artifacts make things more swingy when what I want is for them to make it less so, or never having enough space in my bags for all the loot I want to take home, or the level 3-ish power level not being quite satisfying enough but level 1-ish being infuriating after a while ... dunno what it is but I keep quitting.

Anyway I haven't played since summer, but I'm annoyed at the part of Ori and the Blind Forest that I recently started, so maybe I'll give it another go from the old save file.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: October 23, 2021, 02:20:15 pm »

I just spawn all the backer trinkets. They're by far better items than 99% of the stuff you find it in game. With those in hand, you have a real leg up for the early part of the game, a huge cash reserve of unused trinkets if you need.....yeah. It takes some of the challenge out of the game but I long ago got over the need to win it the way the devs intended. I don't have that kind of appetite for RNG.

I've beaten pretty much the whole game except the last boss of Color of Madness.....and I've never actually entered the Darkest Dungeon. I plan on doing that at least once before the sequel releases on Steam.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 02:36:57 pm by nenjin »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: October 23, 2021, 03:03:44 pm »

I think I know exactly what Vector is talking about.

In the early game, just surviving and completing a mission is a goal.  And its a hard one.

In the middle game, the entire premise of the game changes.  Its about leveling up heroes, acquiring resources to develop the town, and obtaining wealth to upgrade said leveled up heroes.  So missions either a trivial grind because your heroes are actually overqualified just trying to get to the next level, or terribly hard because you're pushing to avoid the grind.

Eh, it becomes more like work / real life at that point, so screw it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: October 23, 2021, 03:04:33 pm »

"I enjoy the game's journey more than the conclusion"

I like the idea of winning but that's not the goal for me.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: October 23, 2021, 03:12:35 pm »

I dunno, the ever present threat of a crit cascade or a random mini boss encounter or the AI deciding to focus fire your weakest character always keeps runs feeling spicy for me unless you're deliberately targeting the easiest ones.

But I don't disagree with the take. The game does shift away from the moment to moment dungeon survival to the meta, and there's a lot to do in the full game now. And nothing is more slog-like than completing the Crimson Court. It took me.....probably over 100 hours before I was like "Fuck it, we're getting through this." I'm up to 260 now over like 4 total games, the last being the most successful. And that's with savescumming. I get it wears people out. I sort of doubt that will be different for the sequel. TBH I haven't stayed up on anything about RtR, I wanted it to feel fresh when I saw it. Even if it was on Steam in Early Access, I doubt I'd pick it up this time and wait for full release instead.

I just hope if there's a perk/flaw system like the first game, it's better thought out and implemented. Still one of my biggest disappointments from DD1.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 03:14:25 pm by nenjin »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: October 23, 2021, 04:09:54 pm »

I actually have few complaints about the perk/flaw system.  Like everything else, the middle game is about using the town to fix the characters.  Biggest complaint is that it is too easy to fix and many perks/flaws are too minor to worry about.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: October 23, 2021, 04:18:13 pm »

I just didn't think it was very interesting how it was delivered. The traits are fine. But making them random just didn't make sense and wasn't very...immersive? for lack of a better term. Cleaning them up and locking them post-release was just trying to make the best of a weak design.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: October 23, 2021, 04:21:20 pm »

Yeah, doing a short mission in the ruins and coming back a Cove Tactician doesn't make much sense. :p
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: October 23, 2021, 04:25:20 pm »

Hmm, guess I'll probably buy Into the Breach on Steam then if Epic is doing all that weird stuff to people's machines.

Gotta note that that conversation about Epic's launcher is a year old, and most of that stuff has long since been debunked. Epic's client has literally hundreds of millions of users at this point, and no credible accounts of malware or spyware have been identified.

Regarding Darkest Dungeon, I tried to get into the first one, but it just had too much RNG for my taste.
DD2 is certainly looking pretty, but without major changes to the underlying mechanics I cannot see myself purchasing.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: October 27, 2021, 11:15:14 am »

DD2's mechanics are significantly worse than DD1.

To boot: DD1 had some annoying mechanics, granted (made worse by the DLC IMO).  Still, it had nice things so it felt a bit quid pro quo, first game by an indy studio, would give it a 7.5. Had hopes for the sequel to be more of the good and less of the bad.

Not the case. DD2 is a combat system similar to the one in DD1, except less versatile because you're allowed far less flexibility with team arrangements, you can't retreat, skill use is more restricted, etc....  This is all laid on top a metagame that is similar to Faster than Light. Which is a game I never liked btw

I'd say that one good thing of DD1 was that you could cut your loses and run. No such mechanism in DD2. you're forced to plod on. No wait to retreat and reassemble. This is just... plodding on, fight until you get to the next goalpost or until your team goes under

All in all
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 101