Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 208424 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Kickstarter Page
Extensive Gametrailers Interview
RPS article
First Trailer
Cinematic Trailer
Big 'ol Q&A
Website

Darkest Dungeon will be a turn-based dungeon crawling game, the format of which is currently unclear. Will it have a top-down presentation, echoing games like Hero Quest and other table top dungeon crawling games? The video implies it without committing to it.

Quote from: RedHookChris
You've got an old school grid-based map with fog of war in the lower part of the screen that you use to select your desired destination, moving from room to room.  And like the trailer, your movement tracked as a marker moving over tiles.  However, simultaneously, in the main gameplay screen everything is presented in side view, like you saw in the trailer (walking through the crumbling halls, smashing barrels, digging through corpses for food, fighting off horrid beasts, etc) .  The camera is obviously pulled out further in the game, but the steadycam look and feel is there.

What sets this game apart from other dungeon crawlers, besides the uber gritty art?

The point of the game. Rather than simply leveling a band of heroes and getting them teh phat lewts as you clobber moderate threats, Darkest Dungeon aims to explore the psychology of heroes as they wither under the constant threat of danger and horrors mankind was never meant to know about.

Each and every adventurer you recruit will develop a unique combination of predispositions, proclivities, flaws and strengths – factors that must be carefully considered when forming a party and leading it through horrific environs. Furthermore, how you perfom in the dungeon will have lasting and impactful consequences on their continued development. You are put smack-dab in the role of a squad leader or sports team manager, doing your best to keep the human factors from fracturing your team or destroying their effectiveness.

There's permadeath (obviously), in addition to the game tracking hero's stress levels and their relationships with other members of the party.

Do watch the video, as it oozes flavor and intent. I'm tempted to say X-COM in a dungeon, but that's probably not accurate. This doesn't seem like a game you win while lamenting your handful of lost soldiers. This seems like a game you play to watch your party go insane and/or die. In their words:

In short, we want to create the kind of team interaction and tension that arises in the most desperate situations. We want Hudson’s panic from ‘Aliens’, MacReady’s booze-battling from ‘The Thing’, James’s detached sadism from ‘The Hurt Locker’. We want you to manage a party of human heroes faced with almost insurmountable odds. If you can lead them to victory, you’ll have earned it.

The current ETA for cyclopean madness is: Late 2014 for Early Access, January 2015 for full release.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 06:45:03 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon - Emotionally traumatize a team of adventurers
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 10:42:47 am »

Looks just right up my alley, PTW.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 11:23:27 am »

I got the Shivers watching the Trailer...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 12:06:37 pm »

Posting to watch, because Losing is Fun.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 12:55:21 pm »

This game looks pretty interesting. I look forward to seeing more about it. I love the wide variety of indie games coming out these days, it's a great time to be a gamer.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 01:04:03 pm »

[insert fry pic here]

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 01:09:01 pm »

ptw.

Unusedname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 01:30:22 pm »

I like this.

It's just a shame i'm going to have completely forgotten about this when it does actually come out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 02:07:26 pm »

Don't worry, they'll be doing a Kickstarter. So you'll inevitably be seeing this thread again.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 02:09:20 pm »

Don't worry, they'll be doing a Kickstarter. So you'll inevitably be seeing this thread again.

Awesome!

I also hope that as it commonly happens, the devs drop by here. I'd love to hear the behind the scenes thinking on this project.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 02:52:19 pm »

I reached out to the devs. We'll see if they took the bait!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 02:58:58 pm by nenjin »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 02:53:21 pm »

I reached out to the devs. We'll see if took the bait!

If you call it bait they'll know something's not right!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 03:00:22 pm »

I reached out to the devs. We'll see if took the bait!

If you call it bait they'll know something's not right!

Just because the pouch of gold is sitting in a bear trap doesn't mean the gold itself is bad :P

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 03:07:44 pm »

Oh man this looks sweet. 

I hope it turns out well.  Horror is a hard thing to do, a lot of people just fling around a couple words like "eldritch" and "antediluvian" and call it a day.  There's more to good horror than just "the monster is big and from another dimension, it has tentacles, now you're insane."
Shoes...

RedHookChris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 03:15:40 pm »

Hey Everyone,
I appear to have taken some bait!

My name is Chris - I'm the Creative Director/Artist on Darkest Dungeon.  Nenjin emailed me and asked if I'd be interested in stopping by - needless to say I was replying to him while registering here :)  Thanks very much for all your interest in the game - it's a big boost for us.

I'd be happy to provide any insight or answer questions any of you might have the best I can, keeping in mind that we can't completely roll out our design doc just yet...

Cheers,
Chris
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 101