Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 208411 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Shield Breaker DLC.
« Reply #1290 on: November 11, 2017, 10:37:52 am »

I will note that, as it involves you building up a large roster of characters, DD can have terrible dungeon runs happen but rarely anything campaign ending. At worst you throw some newbies into the dungeon in the dark a few times to build up money before cycling them out and building up a proper team again. Even though parties can wipe you don't lose all the upgrades you've done to town so it is easier to train/equip new recruits as time goes on.

So it's not quite as bad as some roguelikes in the sense that a really bad run of RNG generally won't make you start over from the beginning.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Shield Breaker DLC.
« Reply #1291 on: November 11, 2017, 02:51:41 pm »

I will note that, as it involves you building up a large roster of characters, DD can have terrible dungeon runs happen but rarely anything campaign ending. At worst you throw some newbies into the dungeon in the dark a few times to build up money before cycling them out and building up a proper team again. Even though parties can wipe you don't lose all the upgrades you've done to town so it is easier to train/equip new recruits as time goes on.

So it's not quite as bad as some roguelikes in the sense that a really bad run of RNG generally won't make you start over from the beginning.

Agreed, I think it's more just demoralising than being game ending. It's the feeling that you literally couldn't have prevented a party wipe/awful run regardless of how you'd prepared which can get a bit annoying - it depends how much patience you have for  that.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: November 12, 2017, 04:45:03 pm »

Or how willing you are to save scum.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Shieldbreaker DLC.
« Reply #1293 on: November 14, 2017, 06:34:13 pm »

I've gone through it a few times and haven't ever had a case where I felt like I lost control, despite my best efforts; all my failed runs could've been aborted before things went nuclear or was otherwise a direct result of my judgment. ("Death's Door dancing is perfectly viable.", "I'll just loot this next room with two survivors; what are the odds of an attack?")

Now, what DOES really bother me is that some battles practically require advance knowledge of how the encounter works to have a fighting chance, whether that means sending in a sacrificial team to scout it out, fleeing the first time, or just plain ol' looking it up.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Shieldbreaker DLC.
« Reply #1294 on: November 14, 2017, 07:04:37 pm »

I.e Boss encounters.

Anyone care to hazard a guess why the Wayne June-ing in The Crimson Court DLC just sounds patently awful compared to the base game? In the base game Wayne June sounds crisp, clear, articulate.

In the Crimson Court DLC, he sounds like he's in a fishbowl, 6 feet from the mic and he's physically struggling to enunciate words. Like his whole body is clenching up when he tries to get out a sibilant word like "soothing."

The disconnect between the main game VOs and the CC VOs is so jarring it rips me out of game every time I hear it. Think they went with a different recording studio this time, or is Wayne June struggling? Or both? Either way, man it sounds like ass. If I had an option to turn off non-essential CC voice overs, I'd do it.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: December 29, 2017, 05:10:52 pm »

Some masochist has added mimics to Darkest Dungeon.

I really hope using a shovel on a mimic chest lets you just beat the snot out of it without fighting it
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: December 31, 2017, 03:45:53 pm »

I bought Crimson Court months back, and the game wouldnt boot anymore. I refunded it after support wouldnt help me.

Recently I installed it via a friends account and it finally worked. And in retrospect I'm reall friggin glad I didnt end up spending money for it. It's like they looked at the very worst parts of the game and just made them infinitely worse. Don't get me wrong, the good parts are still good. The music and the monster designs are stellar (Even tough the fact that the Court enemies appear everywhere else does it's best to make them go tired faster) and I could still listen to the narrator for literal hours. But everything else is really awful.

The Crimson Curse itself adds another layer of needless grind, especially since I never feel safe taking any afflicted Heroes with me unless I got a comfy amount lying around. There is absolutely nothing worse than characters taking random actions in DD, to the point that I'd rather have a button that just kills afflicted heroes instantly and leaves me with only 3, but obedient guys to go further. The droprate on blood feels terrible, altough with this game it might just be RNG giving me the finger.

All in all, it has the exact same issue the base game has, just worse. It confuses difficulty with RNG. DD is, with the possible exception of the last Dungeon that has a whole other set of issues, not hard at all. It's a dice roll. Crimson Court just highlights even harder how bad it really is. I don't know how many runs I had to abandon, not because I made some mistake, but because the game just didnt feel like letting me proceed. The curse especially just amplifies the tedious grind towards the midgame, because now it's not just death that might force you to level a new Team, but also that stupid friggin curse, that applies EVERY. TIME. I have an encounter against Count Dicey and his merry band of furious mosquito-zombies.

It's a shame, I really just wanted to get a look at the new bosses. But I finally lost my last nerve after the encounter below (SPOILERS).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: January 05, 2018, 03:01:43 pm »

Oh Cmon! Have you learned nothing from Wilbur? This game will let you have oppurtunites to attack, but not in the ways you expect it! When the shield flies up, the heads protection goes to 0%. If you'd waited and paid attention, you'd have noticed it. The shield thing is punishing people who get to familiar with the "oh, kill the buffer" strategy.

Always go on the defense for the first round or two  against a brand new boss. They always have tricks up their sleeve.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: January 25, 2018, 10:10:46 am »

Any tips for surviving the mid-late game? When I play Darkest Dungeon I tend to lose interest at that point in the game after a few soulcrushing defeats. I try to press on, but after losing my best heroes and trinkets I feel disheartened and lose interest in playing after floundering around for a while.

Is there a good way to adequately prepare for the third tier of dungeon? I know the game can be RNG heavy, but I feel like it's more that I am doing something wrong than I am being unlucky because I always get completely smashed fairly quickly once I send in my level 5 heroes to those dungeons.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: January 25, 2018, 05:13:08 pm »

This probably isn't the best time to bring up that playthrough where he beats the final dungeon within 16 weeks on Stygian difficulty then, is it?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: January 25, 2018, 07:07:01 pm »

Any tips for surviving the mid-late game? When I play Darkest Dungeon I tend to lose interest at that point in the game after a few soulcrushing defeats. I try to press on, but after losing my best heroes and trinkets I feel disheartened and lose interest in playing after floundering around for a while.

Is there a good way to adequately prepare for the third tier of dungeon? I know the game can be RNG heavy, but I feel like it's more that I am doing something wrong than I am being unlucky because I always get completely smashed fairly quickly once I send in my level 5 heroes to those dungeons.

Well for one you can use the Kickstarter trinkets. Lose em? Just take em back. Is it really cheating if they put a in-game system to retrieve them at will? There's many Kickstarter trinkets created in such a way to effectively have no downsides and a great stat spread.

DD is one of those games I gave up on trying to enjoy as designed. I play it the way that allows me to see what the game has to offer, and cheat when it's going to bum my ass out and make me quit playing.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: January 25, 2018, 11:04:34 pm »

At third tier, you really need to understand the specific threats posed by each dungeon and bring parties specially tailored to them.  For example, protection against bleeding is key in the water-themed area, and attack styles that can get through thick defenses.  Protection against disease is key in the filth-themed pig-people dungeon, and raw damage-dealing methods are more effective against the spongey enemies down there.  Just bringing a party of maxed out peeps isn't good enough anymore.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: January 27, 2018, 02:48:54 pm »

I really think the game should just kill you if you lose all your high level characters.  The way Xcom does.  It doesn't make sense to have a game where the player can lose everything, but have no loss condition.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 101