Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 208415 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Shieldbreaker DLC.
« Reply #1305 on: January 27, 2018, 06:48:21 pm »

When you lose all your good troops in XCOM, you become doomed, but don't lose right away. You just become unable to do anything with your shitty rookies and have to wait until the aliens win. In Darkest Dungeon, when you lose all your good troops you just get set back to before you'd leveled up those troops, you can grab a few more adventurers, use the hamlet upgrades you bought before to get them up to speed faster, and do missions they can actually handle. XCOM just wastes your time, DD lets you climb out of the hole.
Which makes sense, because it's not really you, the player character, who is in danger. You'll just find some more fools to go in.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Shieldbreaker DLC.
« Reply #1306 on: January 28, 2018, 06:49:03 am »

Well, unless you're playing on Stygian or something, in which case everything's already become too dangerous for them to do and you just hit the endgame timer before you can really get up to speed again.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1307 on: January 28, 2018, 06:32:07 pm »

Well, unless you're playing on Stygian or something, in which case everything's already become too dangerous for them to do and you just hit the endgame timer before you can really get up to speed again.
Or you unlock the gitgud matrix and solo the HoD with an antiquarian. Swear down you see people doing the most insane of strats and I can barely keep my dudes from getting heart attacks every time they stub their toe, it's absolutely stressful

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: January 29, 2018, 01:17:51 pm »

Oooh, what is this Stygian difficulty with a timer?  That sounds like exactly my speed, I should get back into this game.

yeah I post on game threads I haven't played in a while, sue me
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: January 29, 2018, 08:31:40 pm »

Oooh, what is this Stygian difficulty with a timer?  That sounds like exactly my speed, I should get back into this game.

yeah I post on game threads I haven't played in a while, sue me

It basically locks the game on hardest settings, plus a few other things... and, since I don't remember if it actually warns you:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

New DLC has been in the works for a while, releases June 19th.

The Color of Madness is a play on The Color Out Of Space story by HP Lovecraft. It's kind of perfect as the topic for an expansion.

The DLC will add a new region to the map, the Farmstead.

4 New Buildings to upgrade in the hamlet.

There will be an "Endless Quest" where you play on and on and on, trying to reach "the Comet." Not sure how that jives with DD being a permadeath game but....

Three new bosses. New Trinkets. New Curios. New Quirks.

Spoiler: Features (click to show/hide)

Looking forward to it! Darkest Dungeon is reaching Binding of Isaac levels of content for me. There's simply more to the game than I will probably ever see or unlock. That's a good problem to have!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To be honest, I burnt out on DD a long time ago and I can't really get excited about any new content enough to make me come back. The RNG was just too high - and whilst it got a bit better - I still didn't enjoy having a few horrible rolls destroy my party.

As such, is there much about any changes to mechanics/more mechanical changes than just content?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not to my knowledge but I haven't done any delving. But my instincts would say no, they haven't fundamentally altered the RNG or the way the core game plays.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

I don't get it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's perfect.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

too dank.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love DD (almost 400 hours and all achievements) but I didn't particularly enjoy the crimson court.

I'm undecided about this. I like Red Hook, so I'll probably give them some money.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In an odd twist....

I got an email from Redhook today saying that I will be getting a free key for Color of Madness.

I'll just post the "why" here:

We have, after lengthy consideration, decided to make The Musketeer DLC available free to all owners of Darkest Dungeon, effective on release of The Color of Madness DLC on June 19th (on Steam).

As you know, The Musketeer has been an Adventurer-Tier Kickstarter Exclusive. Since her release, we’ve honored that exclusivity and have publicly maintained the position that we had no plans to release the class to non-backers, regardless of how much money people were willing to pay!

The reality is, counterfeit mods of the class already exist, and it’s impossible to effectively prevent those from being distributed. Ultimately, as we move forward with our follow-up title, we feel that releasing this class to the larger community will add richness to the game, increasing value to all who own it.

We hope that you’ve enjoyed the lengthy period of exclusivity, and that you understand our desire to leave the game in as good a shape as we can. We’re pleased to offer you a free code for the “The Color of Madness” DLC in order to preserve the value of your pledge. Your game code for The Color of Madness will be sent out via BACKERKIT, so check your email or log in to your account to redeem. (It may take a day or so to distribute)

So there you go. Because people were already modding in what is essentially just a reskin of the Arbalest, I don't have to pay for the DLC. Not sure many studios out there would willingly take a financial hit like that over a backer exclusive of low value....but they got integrity. As of this time I don't have the key in my backer kit but it will probably show up sometime soon.

Much obliged, Red Hook! To be honest I didn't even remember the Musketeer was a backer exclusive and wouldn't have cared if you'd given it out for free to the rest of players, but I will happily accept the key.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:16:36 am by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 101