Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 208449 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Sequel in the works.
« Reply #1395 on: February 22, 2019, 08:08:03 pm »

There was a game a while ago that did basically this - it was a roguelite and you basically grew older every turn, but passed stuff on to the next generation when you died. It was ok, but after a while I just got sick of doing the starting bit all over again. It's difficult to have that 'one more turn' feeling if you've just lost most of your progress. Not to say it couldn't work though, I could imagine if they pulled it off it'd be great.

Off-topic but may I have the name of this game?

Roguelike Hero Generations did that, but I don't think that's one in mind... I think I know the game being referenced, but I can't place it. I want to say it was based off of a 7DRL from like 10 years ago...

Edit: Derp'd on the name.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 09:02:15 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Sequel in the works.
« Reply #1396 on: February 23, 2019, 11:35:21 am »

There was a game a while ago that did basically this - it was a roguelite and you basically grew older every turn, but passed stuff on to the next generation when you died. It was ok, but after a while I just got sick of doing the starting bit all over again. It's difficult to have that 'one more turn' feeling if you've just lost most of your progress. Not to say it couldn't work though, I could imagine if they pulled it off it'd be great.

Off-topic but may I have the name of this game?

Honestly can't remember the name I'm afraid - it was moderately well received at the time so I don't think it's the one Cthulhu is on about, but I don't think it was anything particularly fantastic.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: February 23, 2019, 04:48:12 pm »

I think you are likely talking about Massive Chalice.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: February 23, 2019, 04:59:13 pm »

Massive Chalice had a generational mechanic, but I wouldn't consider it a roguelite, its ultimately a turn based tactical game.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: February 23, 2019, 05:43:18 pm »

Yeah, Massive Chalice was more X-Com lite than anything else.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: February 23, 2019, 07:24:58 pm »

Massive chalice was pretty bad yeah. Mostly because it failed terribly at both being xcom like and being a "breesing" game. It tried to do several things at once, none of them well
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: February 24, 2019, 08:29:09 pm »

Massive Chalice was at least kind of interesting. Hero Generations was shit, not very interesting, and lying about itself.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: February 25, 2019, 12:35:55 am »

Massive Chalice was interesting?  ???
I found it utterly bland. In particular the combat system sucked, which is a deal breaker in a would be xcom clone. Graphics were nothing to write home about either.

Tbh the more I think about it the more it feels like an amateur's attempt at cloning XCOM while adding a few twists. If they released a MC2 I'd keep an eye on it in case it was good, but I certainly dont see myself visiting MC1
DD in contrast feels much more polished. Even though you do get the feeling that many things they wanted to do were left on the drawing board. I kind of have good expectatives for DD2 for the same reason though.... I get the feeling that many of the more simpler mechanics are last minute simplifications, and that we might see something sweet in DD2
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: February 25, 2019, 02:03:24 am »

It had a lot of cool ideas. Noble guardian houses, besieged and slowly crumbling provinces, appointing spares/veterans to prestigious noncombat positions. Combat was indeed poorly executed, but they certainly tried, giving each enemy a gimmick and associated countermeasure. I also liked the art style, that clean cartoonish 3D stuff. Not exceptional, but a good look for being simple.

You're not wrong that it's XCOM-lite + stuff or that DD is much more polished, but I think I'd describe it as lacking or simple before I'd describe it as bland. It's not that it didn't try or had nothing to bring to the table, it just wasn't very good at it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is on sale (frequently, but also currently). Is there a consensus on what DLC are good for a first-time player?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

They both add a good amount of stuff, tho I'd say the Blood Court isn't exactly begginer friendly, since once you trigger it, it doesn't really become optional and it can fuck with your roster in a big way. The comet one is pretty nice and doesn't become mandatory once you interact with it, just a nice little side dungeon you can ran and play around with builds for. That said tho, BC is a pretty good chunk of new and interesting stuff, so even if you don't engage with it right away I'd say it's still a good grab.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

I never got the DLCs, and I do not regret that decision.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: September 03, 2019, 08:18:10 am »

If my Antiquarian spams the invigorating vapors ability, does the dodge bonus stack?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: September 03, 2019, 09:56:11 am »

As long as it's not limited uses for battle, yes.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: September 06, 2019, 09:25:26 pm »

You know what always makes games enjoyable? Fights you can't run away from or beat. That's great. I love the necromancer after my only ranged character died, and I couldn't run away.

Am I going to die? Absolutely. Will I enjoy 4-6 fucking turns of dying? Nope.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 101