Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lego inspired Universe, Part Zero: We forgot the units.  (Read 2390 times)

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lego inspired Universe, Part Zero: We forgot the units.
« on: October 10, 2013, 05:14:17 pm »

This is the thread dedicated to the creation of the game mentioned here:
Door number three: Life/evolution game; Multiple, competing, attempts to create a successful lifeform.
  Backdoor 3a: Life game with unique lego based chemistry. You will start off with a self replicating molecule made of bricks and go from
                     there. May have very long times between updates, but I am fully willing to try this. Will require extreme dedication if anyone
                     wants to successfully make a universe from scratch. May have ethics considerations if it works. May be written as a computer
                     program to create a baby universe. Will take a while, probably working with the future players, to come up with laws of physics.
  Backdoor 3b: Stripped down version of 1a, you are a lego chemist. Less mind numbing to run/play. Might be fairly boring.
   The plan so far is to make laws of physics and fundamental particles until chemistry works (ie interesting, large molecules are capable of being made, the universe won't collapse in on itself, that sort of stuff). Then, we move onto step two, the hunt for a self replicating molecule (in some reasonable environment specified by the originator(s) of said molecule). At that point, the calculations will be too complicated to do by hand, and it will be ported to a computer simulation. At that point, we try to engineer functional life forms (not necessarily cells as we know them, but something similar in scale.) Once we have some of those, the game is ready to be played as in 2a, with very dedicated people genetically engineering complex life in a novel universe for no apparent reason.

The project is currently accepting recruits from both the forums and people I meet who seem up to it.

The state of the universe (we need a name):

Fundamental particles:
   Rounds; have one stud on top and one slot beneath; they are round, with dimensions of 1x1x1/3; they come in two colors, Black and White. When three are stacked, it will create a 1x1x1 cylindrical piece in the following colors:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
   Flats; have one stud on top and one slot beneath; they are square with the dimensions 1x1x1/3; they come in three colors, Red , Yellow, and Blue. When three are stacked, it will create a 1x1x1 block in the following colors:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fundamental Forces:
   Stack: The force which binds studs to slots; analogous to electron bonds; needs more detail.

Something So Stack Stops Swiftly Starting Singularities: It is a problem to not have repulsion; cancels a number of infinities; could make some bricks/shapes more stable than others.

Adjacency: The force which binds blocks together along their sides; analogous to hydrogen bonds at small scales, and to gravity at large scales; force is proportional to 1/distance3 because of extra dimension for Adjacency only; needs a constant for strength.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:23:35 pm by The Ensorceler »

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reserved for expansions to topic.

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile

This looks interesting. PTW.
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep, this is partially inspired by brikwars, but I plan to take this project so far down the rabbit-hole of overcomplicated nonsense that we raise ethics concerns over the rights of life which a)exists in a computer, b)has radically different physics from the universe we inhabit, and c)is made of subatomic lego particles.

(To the people I've invited to collaborate on this from outside the forums, please leave a post here if you are interested in helping.) Right now, any suggestions for new particles, force-carriers, or laws of nature would be quite helpful. As long as it looks like it'll make chemical reactions more diverse and interesting, some form of the suggestion should make it into the final universe.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

I'll definitely watch, but I
m not sure what I could do to help
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile

ADJACENCY? TRUE BUILDERS USE THE SNOT FORCE
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you can help come up with a force carrier, I can guarantee that the name will be considered. I do know that in order to have said force decay proportionally to 1/distance3, it needs to exist in four dimensions, rather than three. However, there are some obvious problems as well as some other, less obvious ones with having four dimensions of space for some particles and three for others. Having the force carrier move in straight lines with no curving, ever could work, but you'll constantly lose energy into the fourth dimension it can move in.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you can help come up with a force carrier, I can guarantee that the name will be considered. I do know that in order to have said force decay proportionally to 1/distance3, it needs to exist in four dimensions, rather than three. However, there are some obvious problems as well as some other, less obvious ones with having four dimensions of space for some particles and three for others. Having the force carrier move in straight lines with no curving, ever could work, but you'll constantly lose energy into the fourth dimension it can move in.
Obviously the force carrier is the l, or lantern block/particle.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile

I would suggest the equation for the strength of Stack to be something along the lines of this: , with 'x' being distance and everything else a constant.
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you, let me run some graphs, and I'll get back to you with some idea for what the constants should be.

Edit: We need a repulsive force! All my universes are collapsing to a point like this. :-\
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:35:15 am by The Ensorceler »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

Just use the Pauli Stacking Principle, which says that the closest two blocks can be is on top of each other. Also, shouldn't entropy prevent non-interacting particles from collapsing anyway?

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, yeah. They turn into dense orbits. Still not very interesting. I need 'blocks' to pretty much stop moving (relative to their larger structure) when they're Stacked.

New force incoming:
 Color (Name subject to change, as is everything else): A short ranged force which has energy in three colors, Red, Yellow, and Blue. As a field, this force (probably) doesn't need carriers. This force operates like this: Red>Yellow>Blue>Red, where the color to the right is repelled and the same color is attracted. The remaining color is neutral, but will be acting on the color to its right. (I believe this doesn't allow perpetual motion machines, and actually forces 1x1 blocks in close proximity to form larger blocks as long as they are the exact same color.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile

Well, Blue repelling Yellow would have the exact same effect as Yellow repelling Blue. Unless you're dropping Action = Reaction, in which case you wouldn't have to worry about perpetual motion since it might very well exist in your rules of physics. But if you're keeping A=R, I suggest using "studs attract slots (and vice versa), studs repel studs, slots repel slots" or something along those lines. It would also make the 'gravity' of higher stacks stronger, though the difference would be much larger at close range. You could then add that different colors have stronger or weaker forces on each other, or so, which might make large simulations more vivid, though I'm not sure.

Did I mention I like this?
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For artistic integrity, the repulsive force should work on opposing colors, like so
Red repels Green
Blue repels Orange
Yellow repels Purple
and vice versa.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Pages: [1] 2