Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lego inspired Universe, Part Zero: We forgot the units.  (Read 2374 times)

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, first things first, I am actually (sort of) dropping action>reaction for Color, but it works out because of the action>response>reaction that occurs when all three colors are present. Secondly, there are no secondary colors right now, but instead I've included primaries in groups of three to give tertiaries (formatted as primary, primary-secondary, or Black).

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile

The equation I mentioned earlier is a nice, steep bell curve that drops off extremely sharply a bit past 1 or 2. For example, with a=2, b=2, c=4, d=1, and n=4, at x=0, it would end up as 32; at x=1, 16; at x=2, 2; at 3, it winds up as slightly less than one-four billionth. Once you get to ten, it is something around .
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Whoops... I forgot units of measurement. Ehh... here's a sloppy list:

Distance/length; Blok (Both for clarity, and for Megabloks);  three million times the height of a stud (More? Less?); this would make a 1x1x1
 block have dimensions of 1 microblok x 1 microblok x 1 microblok.
Area; Square Blok; surface area of a 1x1x1 block would be 6 Square Bloks.
Volume; Cubic Blok; volume of a1x1x1 block would be 1 Cubic Bloks.
Mass; These legos don't have mass yet. I should probably do something about that.
Energy; kalorie (the small one); the amount of energy needed to be imparted to divert one 1x1x1 block one million Bloks from its previous
 trajectory in one unit of time.
Time; (?)

What else do we still need? I don't think temperature applies yet, along with pressure and idiosyncratic units such as the Ohm, since we need more forces for those.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lego inspired Universe, Part Zero: We forgot the units.
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 02:09:26 am »

Well because temperature isn't a truly factual things in a lego universe.

For example Legos don't get heat from the sun. How "Warm or cold" they are is determined by the current set they are in and what they are wearing.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 09:58:30 am »

I really am sorry, but have you read what this is about? There are no sets, no minifigures. I want to create a universe in which the fundamental particles are microscopic legos and the laws of physics allow for an interesting chemistry, and therefore, life. Temperature will probably exist, and will be the rate at which a particle is losing energy by emitting other particles.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 10:19:46 am »

Sorry, I was assuming how people in such a universe would react to something that ultimately doesn't affect them.

Being that "Temperature" if it existed for such a people, would be an emotion rather then a universal constant.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

Yeah, yeah. They turn into dense orbits. Still not very interesting. I need 'blocks' to pretty much stop moving (relative to their larger structure) when they're Stacked.

New force incoming:
 Color (Name subject to change, as is everything else): A short ranged force which has energy in three colors, Red, Yellow, and Blue. As a field, this force (probably) doesn't need carriers. This force operates like this: Red>Yellow>Blue>Red, where the color to the right is repelled and the same color is attracted. The remaining color is neutral, but will be acting on the color to its right. (I believe this doesn't allow perpetual motion machines, and actually forces 1x1 blocks in close proximity to form larger blocks as long as they are the exact same color.

Wouldn't that force the universe to phase-separate into blobs of one color? That sounds like a bit of a boring universe to me.

Also, according to statistical thermodynamics, for a system in which all microstates are equally likely, temperature is dE/dS, with E the total energy of the system and S the entropy given by S = kB ln Z, Z is the number of microstates that give rise to the given macrostate. This means that to define temperature, one would need to have a concept of microstate, or alternatively, a concept of entropy.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:18:57 pm by Virex »

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 03:55:57 pm »

Sorry, Color is a relatively weak force that operates on the Flat level, while all Flats are bound into blocks. The function of Color is to prevent Adjacency from fusing different colored blocks together, while allowing the same colored ones to fuse. It works because a RRB and a RRY, for example, as they do not share all the same colors, will repel eachother slightly more than they otherwise would have, while still leaving them pressed right up against eachother. If you then smack the pair, it will take less energy to separate them that if their colors had matched.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 09:53:06 pm »

So an RRB and an RRY would like to stack into:
Code: [Select]
Y
R R
R R
  B

But what's preventing it from forming:

Code: [Select]
Y
R
R
R
R
B

Because if the stacking force is quite strong, everything will eventually form long stacks. Or are you relying on entropy to prevent that from occuring?

Edit: I've been doing some more thinking. The stacking force needs to be directional. After all, you can only stack legos with the studs in the slots. A simple fix to Lost In Nowhere's equation would be to add a prefactor equal to cos(T)^n, where T is the angle between the directions in which the two stacks point (defined as being from slot to stud) and n an odd scaling factor that determines how strongly the attractive force falls off with the angle. This would cause the stacking force to be attractive when the slot of one block is alligned with the stud of another, whereas it is repulsive if two studs or two slots are aligned.

The color force could also be made directional if need be, by including a scaling factor equal to sin(T)^n, with n being an even scaling factor and T the angle between the direction of the stack and the vector from the block's center to the other block's center. This might be neccesary to allow off-color stacks to form at low temperatures. Without a directional color force, at low temperatures, there will not be enough kinetic energy for off-color pairs to overcome the mutual color repulsion, leading to a strong preference for large stretches of single-color pieces in a stack.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:01:18 pm by Virex »
Pages: 1 [2]