Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48

Author Topic: Treebanned: Gremlin-Hunting!  (Read 59149 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Treebanned: Gremlin-Hunting!
« Reply #690 on: February 25, 2014, 03:23:02 pm »

You motion on ahead and Charlotte continues down the passage. You follow, and Pearl and Claire descend and enter after.

The passage goes straight north, then ends abruptly as the passage turns upward to become a shaft. The wall ahead has many carved, recessed handholds leading up the square shaft the same width as the passage. Only one may ascend at a time. After about 10' of shaft there is a room but the torchlight doesn't reach its ceiling from here.

On the floor there's a flattened jumble of wooden planks and frayed, ancient rope.

From above there wafts a heavy musky smell.

Charlotte is at the base of the climbing wall, standing on the debris. Trailing down the passage to the south are you, Pearl, then Claire.

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting retarded ideals since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 25, 2014, 04:05:39 pm »

Ascend the shaft. nuff' said.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 25, 2014, 06:05:25 pm »

Ready stabbing object, climb.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 25, 2014, 06:41:58 pm »

Ready stabbing object, climb.
That's fine by me. +1

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 26, 2014, 01:35:47 pm »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 26, 2014, 07:48:26 pm »

Charlotte begins climbing steadily upward placing her hands and feet in the multitudes of handholds carved into the wall. You follow, and halfway up your hand jams into something sharp inside one of the handholds. You yelp quietly and, with nowhere else to go, continue upward. Pearl and Claire follow.

The musky smell is stronger now. You're in a room 20' across, the shaft you just climbed from in the floor's center, the floor noticeably sloped upward from the shaft to the walls. The black film covers the walls, floor, and ceiling, and there are still white translucent flakes of scales scattered around. There are also hard concretions attached to the corners and where the walls meet the floor and ceiling. It looks like black goop that solidified but with large exposed empty bubbles missing out of it, like volcanic rock.

Charlotte raises her torch high, revealing an upper gallery surrounding the room at ceiling level, starting about 10' up off the floor. There's no visible way up from here without climbing, and the walls are smooth and slick. A metal disc hangs from a chain in the center of the ceiling.

There's an arch engraved in stones on the north wall, 5' high and across, but the interior of the arch is just more stone instead of a usable passage.

You're all kind of standing around in the room.

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 26, 2014, 08:45:53 pm »

Damn, I thought someone had a rope. I suppose we could knock on the arch, if the walls are too slick to climb.

Travisplo

• Bay Watcher
  • Lich with Bumps of grandeur! The Necromonsieur!
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 26, 2014, 10:55:57 pm »

walk through the arch.
Heh, I posted that as a joke. Then again, this is Bay12 and this plan is crazy enough to work...
Bump all day, bump all night, yeah this thread needs a bump alright!

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 27, 2014, 08:53:01 am »

Damn, I thought someone had a rope. I suppose we could knock on the arch, if the walls are too slick to climb.
we used the rope to get down the well.  I think that the disc hanging from the ceiling opens the unusable arch. to access that disc, we could try to go back to the lodge to look for something to make a rope out of, then return here, tie the "rope" to an arrow and shoot the arrow through the rung. when the arrow falls through the other side, we can use both ends of the rope to pull down the rung.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 27, 2014, 11:00:00 am »

Well there was some old, frayed, rope earlier, but that is probaly unreliable.

Fine with trying.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 27, 2014, 12:25:08 pm »

You knock on the arch, nothing happens. Seems like solid stone. There are runes carved into the stones of the arch but you can't read them. The three women take a look at the runes and shrug: they can't read them either.

Thinking this may be a test of willpower, you steel your nerves and try to walk through the arch. Bump, bump, bump - the solid stone blocks that fill the archway prevent you from walking through.

(If there's some confusion - imagine a flat stone wall and then, without removing any stone, press an arch into it so the surface is flush. Then put runes on the arch.)

You're in a square room 20' across. A shaft in the center of the floor leads down, there is a solid stone arch on the north wall, a gallery encircling the room starting 10' up, and some kind of disc hanging from the center of the ceiling. All the surfaces are slick with a black film.

You're all kind of standing around in the room.

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 27, 2014, 06:31:08 pm »

my previous offer stands. leave room. go to lodge make rope out of frayed clothing, return to secret room
tie "rope" to arrow, fire arrow through ceiling rung, and pull it. Or we could attempt to tie the frayed rope to an arrow fire said arrow through the rung and tug. the choice is up to you guys.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 27, 2014, 09:15:10 pm »

We do have a few belts, could take those off, remove everything from them, strap them together or otherwise combine them then see what else we can remove or use for extra length. Might need to throw or sling it though, an arrow probaly wouldn't carry that much weight. Plus it might just fall out or something unless we make a hook, tie axes and/or daggers together?

my previous offer stands. leave room. go to lodge make rope out of frayed clothing, return to secret room
tie "rope" to arrow, fire arrow through ceiling rung, and pull it. Or we could attempt to tie the frayed rope to an arrow fire said arrow through the rung and tug. the choice is up to you guys.
+1
Well try this first, along with any other better and less time consuming ideas, more likely to work, go for the rope, if we are using frayed things it may as well be the nearby option.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:21:54 pm by Cain12 »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 28, 2014, 12:05:33 am »

Making rope takes a long time. We'd be better tying our belts together or something, though I don't know if that would hold.

We could try scraping some of that gunk off one of the walls to see if we could make it easier to climb.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 28, 2014, 03:23:53 pm »

You decide to head back outside to gather materials for a rope, or maybe you should stay here and ... hey, does anybody else feel fuzzy? I - woah. OK, trying to stand back up now. Everyone's holding onto me but I'm not going anywhere. I mean, I'm right here, and ...

The white worm descends straight down from the sky. Its head touches the mountain top and it curls around it, embracing it, crushing it. The worm slithers down the mountain valleys. It brings a flow of ice and uprooted trees and boulders and log cabins smashed to kindling. Its scales the size of doors, shredding the land, it carves the bare stone with unknown glyphs spelling out sky-secrets. The worm reaches the sea and rears up, silhouetted against the yellow orb of the sun, which is actually just the yolk of an egg from which the worm will be born.

You wake up. You're feeling very disoriented but nothing else seems wrong. Your hand has been washed and bandaged. The girls are standing around looking concerned, and now that you're awake they're asking you questions but you can't hear their voices.

Oh right, their voices were stolen. Yes. Good. Things are coming back. Pearl is asking if you can stand.

You stand up. You're a little wobbly but should be able to continue adventuring.

Pearl explains that you must have been bitten by something poisonous because there was a fresh cut on your hand. She says that they didn't want to try moving you, so they tried the linked-belt-rope idea. It was too heavy to fire with an arrow, but if someone stood on someone else's shoulders you could tie off the belts on something in the gallery above, and then everyone could climb up. Pearl also wiped an area of the wall clear with her cloak for climbing. The cloak now needs some serious washing since it's covered in the black gunk. She shrugs - adventuring is messy work.

She asks, "Do you remember being bitten?"

You're all kind of standing around in the room. Claire and Charlotte are still keeping an eye on you.

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48