Advanced search  

Author Topic: Update  (Read 6862 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Update
« on: July 25, 2001, 11:12:00 am »

Okay, so Alanor has finally received the parts for my computer and it is nearly (or completely) assembled by now.  That's a plus.

I've almost finished the 3D modeler.  I tried using some free ones at first, but there were some problems, and I didn't need the overblown features.  So I've written something simple that will suit my needs.

For the next week (vacation Aug.1-8) I will be finishing off the modeler and making some really ugly models to get started (I'll only need a few, and I estimate I'll spend about ten minutes each -- they'll be heinous to say the least).  I've already written a program that takes Armok maps and converts them into simple 3D landscapes, so that won't take any time at all.

This means I should have the Armok 3D conversion done before I leave (or nearly complete).  When I return, I'll do three things:

a) make a test interface for the 3D version
b) start the player some place interesting, like just outside a hostile city
c) fix any lingering bugs I can find

Then it'll be time for a release, and you guys can all:

a) make fun of the models
b) make interface suggestions
c) report bugs
d) make other suggestions
e) run around and hack things up -- the game is only that complicated for now :)

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Alanor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Update
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2001, 09:02:00 am »

Conan mode enabled!!!!

hehe

Running around and hacking things up is definetly a positive thing.

I recall the days of Dragslay... That was just excellent.. We need dragslay back.

or just 3d dragslay
hehe

slash, stab, splat!
heh

Come on now!
Armok is waiting for you!

Alanor
Blood Priest of Armok

Harlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2001, 12:06:00 pm »

An update? This can only mean one thing...
Time for a round of nosy questions, methinks!

First up, what's the specification of this new computer?

What's Dragslay? Is it that ancient proto-Armok thingy mentioned in the 'The Future' codices? If so... I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it!  :p Er.... well.. yeah.

Which 3D modellers did you try?

OK, I'll stop with the nosy questions now..(before they get personal  :p)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2001, 01:02:00 pm »

Yes, Dragslay is the ancient protoArmok thingy.

There are actually two Dragslays (2 that took off anyway).  One of them I wrote when I was I don't know, maybe 9 or 10 in Basic.  It was kinda tribal.

The second one was written in C and is a fairly fun text game.  I have it on my old computer in washington (where I'll be going in a week), and I could dust if off you guys really want it.  It's kinda rough around the edges, because it was scuttled due to memory constraints (back in the good old days when you didn't have all of these megs to play with).  It might be fun.  I'm pretty sure it still works, although it won't compile anymore (without a lot of cleanup to transfer it from Borland C 3.0 to MSVC 6 :) )
It's at least 50000 lines of code, so it would be a pain to fix up.

Alanor will have to post the specs for the computer -- he hasn't even told me yet!  I just gave him a dollar figure, and he went nuts roughly within those contraints.

I tried Blender and another one that came with my newest GL book.  They just seem bloated, and I wanted something simple.
Except for save/load and a few convenience frills, my modeler is done.  I drew up a pretty convincing mace for fun this morning, so I can do 3D objects now.

Late for a math seminar...

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Alanor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2001, 08:31:00 pm »

Athlon 1.2
256 DDR
Geforce 3
20Gig HD
CD burner
DVD drive
need any more?