Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves' Immunity To Alcohol  (Read 16303 times)

Khegit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves' Immunity To Alcohol
« on: October 13, 2013, 08:14:29 pm »

Alright...what is it with Dwarves and alcohol? They drink large mugs of it every day, three times a day, twenty-four seven. They do this from the moment they're birthed until the day they die.  If any other race, humans, elves, goblins, drank like this, they would die of a shot liver before they turned twenty. Even then, they would never be able to get anything done, drunkenly stumbling around, in a constant state of ecstasy. Dwarves cannot only walk in a straight line, they can build, construct, craft, forge, cook, fight, speak coherently, and especially, brew more alcohol.  I wanna know everybody's thoughts on this. Is it biological, like, do all dwarves have supercharged livers? Or is it magic, as in, some sort of magical affinity that only the dwarves possess?

Silfarion

• Bay Watcher
  • praise mlaatr
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves' Immunity To Alcohol
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 08:19:23 pm »

BEARDS! BEARDS FOR THE POOR!

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 08:47:19 pm »

They actually do have super-charged livers, in a sense. The dwarven liver is 50% bigger than the standard humanoid liver relative to body size, according to the raws.

Khegit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 10:05:46 pm »

That actually explains a lot.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 11:10:52 pm »

They're not really immune to alcohol so much as they depend on it to live, it's a key component to their metabolic processes. See for non-dwarves alcohol is indeed a mild toxin, but for them it's more like a vitamin. Without it they can't digest food properly and so start to slow down and get irritable. Kinda like caffeine addicts before they get their morning fix, only much worse since dwarves typically spend their entire lives with some amount of booze in their systems. I bet expectant mothers are advised to drink more often than normal so ensure the baby gets enough to develop properly.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 01:38:16 pm »

It could be that the booze is fairly weak and drunk as an alternative to potentially nasty water.

Perhaps the dwarven body is so adapted to alcohol that they can't handle the microfauna in water, and the slowness caused by alcohol withdrawal is actually sickness caused by water too dirty for them to handle.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Khegit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 03:13:05 pm »

Screw pumps purify water though.....besides, there's no way someone could drink that much booze every day of his life, especially as an infant, without being wasted all the time, then later, dying.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 03:21:13 pm »

ahhh you are right about someone. but what about somedwarf?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 04:18:44 pm »

It's almost as if the game isn't 100% realistic.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 04:23:53 pm »

Screw pumps purify water though.....besides, there's no way someone could drink that much booze every day of his life, especially as an infant, without being wasted all the time, then later, dying.

Infants would most likely be fed by their mother. And seeing as Mead was pretty much all anyone drank in some areas of the for world for a quite a while, as water was definitely not clean enough and could easily sicken or kill, I think Dwarves with super-livers would do just fine.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 04:32:48 pm »

"Small beer" was an everyday beverage for everyone, even children. Its alcohol content was around 2.5% (or perhaps lower). Per the link, those involved in manual labor might drink up to 5.7 liters of small beer during a work day to stay hydrated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_beer

grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Khegit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 05:07:11 pm »

Somehow, I doubt this is the beer the dwarves are brewing....besides, they make all kinds of booze, including strong stuff, like whiskey.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 05:26:22 pm »

Screw pumps purify water though.....
If you think that aspect of DF is an intended part of the simulation, sure. If you think it's a side effect of the way that pumps handle water, or a side effect of the way the game handles contaminants, not so much.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 06:01:32 pm »

Somehow, I doubt this is the beer the dwarves are brewing....besides, they make all kinds of booze, including strong stuff, like whiskey.
Yes, but here I have to link back to the larger livers.
Besides, dwarven wine is a staple, and that can't be that strong.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 06:05:23 pm »

Its a placeholder. The general idea is that dwarves need alcohol to be functional, whereas other species get drunk drinking alcohol, which should lower productivity and cause other undesirable results.

In other news, any creature belonging to your fortress that needs to drink will prefer alcohol over water. I found this one out from playing modded humans and other races a long time ago. The [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] tag only means work slows down after being without drinking alcohol for a long period of time.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 06:10:10 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: [1] 2