Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarves' Immunity To Alcohol  (Read 16903 times)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves' Immunity To Alcohol
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 06:10:58 pm »

Yea, ancient Romans/Greeks drank a lot of wine, too. Often watered down, at least for children. Again, we're back at the "water wasn't always/usually safe" thing. For a more modern example, this persisted in navies and on merchant ships well into the industrial age, I think. Rum was given to sailors, so they could mix it with water; one of the reasons being to cover the awful taste of the water that had been in wooden (not modern/sanitized) barrels for weeks. And the last rum rations in Her Majesty's Navy were only given out in the 1960s IIRC.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 07:06:00 pm »

Freshwater on ships and well water in cities tended to be not very safe, but i suspect the bias against drinking water is seriously overstated. AFAIK, it was considered odd in ancient Greece/Rome _not_ to water down the wine - someone who drank unmixed wine was an alcoholic. The huge aqueducts were built to get drinkable water to Rome. Labourers commonly drank watery vinegar, and in the Bible, you find many places where people drink plain old water; and judaism has no anti-alcohol taboo.

Hygienic standards and thus water quality went down the crapper in the middle ages, though; i'm still not sure it was as bad as it's often made out to have been.

Oh, the topic? Yeah, i think dwarfs just have a different metabolism, so that alcohol doesn't mess up their brains and they have a quicker/less damaging mechanism to break alcohol down.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 12:55:38 am »

I'm going with the vitamin of this one. Dwarves are internal combustion engines, they burn a food-alcohol mixture to move, which is why they don't excrete, and when the internal alcohol reserve runs low they start diluting the alcohol component with beard hair (which is infinite) and their remaining supplies and with water to make them last. Dwarves can attain an essentially perfect dilution, allowing them to live solely off water, but they are running off a inferior fuel.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 09:21:31 am »

It's almost as if the game isn't 100% realistic.
Of course not.
We've still got fifty years before we reach that point.

I do like the idea of the dwarves having different bio-chemical tolerances than their tall, beardless counterparts...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 09:22:40 am »

It's almost as if the game isn't 100% realistic.
Of course not.
We've still got fifty years before we reach that point.

I do like the idea of the dwarves having different bio-chemical tolerances than their tall, beardless counterparts...

And because I'm an idiot, I posted this twice.
Fantastic.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:24:28 am by Monk321654 »
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 04:00:09 pm »

I'm certain that the ultimate goal of Toady and ThreeToe is not to make their game a hyper-realistic simulation. Absolute realism general doesn't make good stories after all.

AndrewC

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 07:35:50 am »

I've always thought dwarfs are naturally knurd (see the Discworld books or http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/index.php/Knurd for details). They need alchohol to smooth the rough edges off reality and function normally.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:53:20 am by AndrewC »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 04:22:13 am »

Dwarves are internal combustion engines, they burn a food-alcohol mixture to move.

Can i sig this?
Pages: 1 [2]