Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22

Author Topic: Steelhold - A Penal Colony Succession Game  (Read 55039 times)

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steelhold - A Penal Colony Succession Game
« Reply #210 on: November 15, 2013, 08:45:29 pm »

The Autumn part will be up before long, but for now, I decided to write some lyrics in honor of the previous dwarf overseer-character: "Modi." I figured it was the least I could do, considering I - sort of - killed her. Also, any good succession fortress has some sort of fan-song to it. The song is based on "Johnny Reb" by Johnny Horton, and it carries the same tune.

"(You Fought All the Way) Modi Dear"
By Gnorm

You fought all the way Modi dear, Modi dear,
You fought all the way Modi dear

Saw you marchin' through the desert and sand,
You helped your dearest swain to build a mighty prison grand,
You fought for your kin, and your death shan't be for nought,
Of your final sacrifice the dwarves have not forgot

'Cause you fought all the way Modi dear, Modi dear,

I saw your squad captured by the Elvenkind,
Saw the gruesome images that messed up your mind,
Saw your comrades being flayed against the wall,
There was hate in your eyes and you would avenge them all

For you fought all the way Modi dear, Modi dear,

I saw Commander J. raise his mace against Atu,
Saw your one true love fightin' right beside you,
You fought with your army and the goblin forces fell,
And their human boss Atu is now on his way to Hell

When Steelhold learnt the result of the attack,
All the dwarves dressed from head to toe in black,
And honored you who had fallen in combat,
Even Lenehan lightly tipped his hat

You fought all the way Modi dear, Modi dear,
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 15, 2013, 09:28:07 pm »

Oh god... I think I shed a tear or two for poor Modi... :'(
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 15, 2013, 09:35:56 pm »

I'm glad you liked it. One always doubts the quality of his own work until he hears the opinion of another.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 15, 2013, 10:00:15 pm »

I'm glad you liked it. One always doubts the quality of his own work until he hears the opinion of another.
I felt the same way when I was writing stuff. I never finished my last project since it was based on my D&D group and well... One of the main characters, namely my character in the group, just died, so... Yeah...

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 16, 2013, 02:01:34 am »

Part III: Autumn

From the journal of Lenehan:

1st Limestone, 254

Today I finished moving all of the paperwork from Jackal's office into mine. Being the official mayor of this prison, I decided it was best to take proper role of all notable inmates that survived the Goblin siege. I have listed them below:
FireCrazy
Urist McDead
Jovus
Maskdwarf
Moisturizer
Shining
Dr. Asmoth
Rock-Eyes
Shadow
Anyone else who was ever a notable threat to me is now dead. On the subject of my enemies, the paperwork from Jackal's office reveals that he and Modi were planning to have me usurped; such news does not surprise me. Unfortunately, the papers are incomplete and I am unable to learn of the means of usurption and the identities of any other co-conspiritors. No doubt either Jackal or Modi had expected me to look through their plans at some point, and destroyed all important information. Nevertheless, with the two heads of the operation dead, the entire plan will hopefully fall apart.

5th Limestone, 254

Although I personally do not believe in such industry, today I was forced to give in to the protests of the mead-deprived dwarves and the jobless beekeepers and ordered a beekeeping room built outside.

The extra alcohol will hopefully cheer up some of the embittered dwarves that are not too happy about the deaths of their comrades. I can hear their whining through the ventilation shafts, and it has started to become quite annoying.

23rd Limestone, 254

Today I ordered a full clean-up of all corpses within the outdoor building of the prison. We cannot have the liaison report any suspicious sights this year until my plans have been put into action. Otherwise, the queen may send a squad to inspect the prison and end my reign. Besides, not even a dwarf would want to live in such a smelly fortress.

Later Entry:

It seems as if Shadow could endure his survivor's guilt no longer. Miserable from losing almost all of his companions during the Goblin siege, today he went berserk and began to attack the denizens of the prison. A single shot from a nearby hunter was enough to disable him long enough for a miner to knock his head of with a pick, so it actually turned out quite well.

27th Limestone, 254

The vent leading into Asmoth's laboratory has been completed; that's yet another possible blind spot dealt with. There should be only a few more vents necessary to begin operations. I hope that Asmoth's tests on the solution are nearly complete, for I cannot complete the plans without knowing if I need to alter the formulae.

On the topic of Asmoth, it seems that he is caring for the vampire that was wounded by Jackal. Although he only suffers from a broken hand, the vampire is, according to Asmoth, unfit to resume fortress life as of now. I am suspicious of that doctor, and I honestly wonder what he is doing to that vampire.

1st Sandstone, 254

As a testament to my authority over this fortress, I have ordered three millstones to be constructed in my honor.

Perhaps they will make good trading components.

2nd Sandstone, 254

We are experiencing a very minor tantrum spiral at the moment. To combat this, I have put the beekeeping project on hold and have ordered the masons to smooth the entire fortress. That should shut up those tantruming crybabies and allow me to resume my work.

8th Sandstone, 254

The second vent leading to the caverns has been completed today. I am ahead of schedule as far as the ventilation shaft placement goes. I can, for now, work on the current issues of the fortress, inluding giving it far more stockpiles.

16th Sandstone, 254

Some more prisoners have been moved to our fine penal colony. The only notable one was a peasant called "Rhaken," about whom I have read in Jackal's paperwork. Apparently he was a sort of gang leader in the past, though he is now no more than  a prisoner. I'll have him sentenced to stone detailing. There is still no sign of the scheduled inmate "Bees," about whom I have also read. From what I read of him, though, this is perhaps a good thing.

18th Sandstone, 254

A child has created an artifact today.

I think the golden sunberry was a nice touch.

14th Timber, 254

The caravan and liaison has arrived. During my introduction, I had to excessively careful to make sure not to give any intimation that Jackal is dead, or more troops will likely be sent to this prison. Nevertheless, now is the time to obtain more supplies before my master plan is executed.

28th Timber, 254

Winter is but one day away, and with the new season shall come my new reign. There is a season for everything, and now is the time to conquer. As of this writing, yet another vent has been finished, and just three more, along with the machine itself, should complete my project. Just one month more, and this fortress will enter a new era.

It seems as if I have managed to kill of most of the dwarfed readers; this is quite unfortunate.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 16, 2013, 08:58:55 am »

Welp, I just realized that BlackMuffin's dwarf was the one described as hell's herald. And he's still alive. Probably should have thought of this a long time ago.
"Interesting" muttered the dwarf, "They have chosen another."
The dwarf paces the room, kicking a chair as he goes by. The leg shatters, but he does not seem to notice.
"How is this possible? They said I was to be their prophet. The one to bring salvation on all of dwarfkind. Did they lie? Perhaps. Though I'm certain they had a good reason... I must commune... Yes... But later... It will seem suspicious if I'm not out there often enough... I've heard rumors about me... Somebody knows... They call me 'demon worshipper'. Pah. They are the ones who worship demons, those horrific abominations, headed by Armok. But how... Perhaps... Perhaps it is his fault... Yes... He must be eliminated... I must commune."
The dwarf kneels, placing a hand upon the ground. The last thing that is seen is his golden mask, before all light fades from the room.
Deep voices seem to whisper from every corner, "Yeessssssssssssss?"
"Milords. I have come with a question of great importance."
"We know what you wannnnnnnnnt. We know you quuuuuueeeestion."
"Milords, as your faithful servant, have I earned the right to an answer. I know I am a lowly dwarf, but I have done my best to serve you."
Unintelligible whispers follow, as if the voices are discussing. Finally, they say, "What you sssssssssay is true, dwarf. Very welllllllllll. All you mussssssst know is that we have manyyyyyyyyy plansssssss. You are but one of our sssssservantsssssss."
"Thank you, milords."
The dark whispers slowly fade as light returns to the room. The dwarf removes his hand from the ground. If such a thing is possible, the mask he wears seems to have changed. It looks angry. An anger that could level mountains.
"Lenehan and Moisturizer..." He whispers, "I am coming for you."
Outside, there is the pattering of feet. The dwarf crosses to the door and slams it open, but nobody is there...

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 16, 2013, 10:21:28 am »

Peering into the Criminal Mind: Musings of one "Rhaken", incarcerated at penal colony Steelhold

18th Sandstone, year 254
I'm in. By Armok's nuts, this place is a complete fucking mess. Half the inmates are down in the dumps most of the time, and the other half are either assbackwards insane or have fewer wits than tits. Though I guess it's not all bad. Security is lax. I absconded with a cow bone on my first day, and nobody noticed. Been making a shiv. It pays to be ready. Especially when you can't tell whether you've been sent to a prison or an insane asylum.

The warden - Lenahan or somesuch - assigned me to stone detailing. This is exactly what I needed. There are several other inmates on stone detailing duty, and I've been slowly using them to learn about this place - history, politics, rumors, unspoken rules. Couldn't be easier. Most of these bastards are halfway into depression. Vulnerable. Easy to manipulate with just a few friendly words. This should make my plan run much more smoothly.

Lenahan is apparently a former inmate, who seized power for himself around the turn of the year. Most of his political opponents have been
killed. Rumor has it that he's an elf sympathizer. No wonder this place is so shoddy. He's got "ventilation shafts" all over the place. Nothing but glorified tunnels - the perfect security vulnerability. He's also letting various loons roam freely about - the kind of loons they'd shove in solitary for most of the year back in the Mountainhomes. I heard that the medical officer might be nuts too.

I have to focus. I've got to assemble a crew if I'm going to get this done right. Let's see here. I'll need...

• Some guerrillas. Without foot soldiers, I'll never get anything done. This part should be easy. It's a prison, for crying out loud. Likely to be a handful of veterans and war criminals in every cell block.
  • An engineer. Always good to have a dwarf who knows his way around a mechanism.
  • A smith. Arms deals are always profitable, and we'll need someone to arm us as well.
  • A brewer. Running a moonshine on the side helps with both profits and morale.
  • A jeweler. If we're going to be smuggling the fancy stuff, might as well have an expert on board to help us do it right.
  • An insider. Someone in the system who's on our side. Maybe if I pay off a guard or two. Or even the caravan.

The sooner I can put the team together, the better. Even with the so-called "security" of the place, this kind of operation is never easy. Once I have a team, I can start to garner support in earnest from the locals.

In the meantime, I've got walls to smooth.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 16, 2013, 12:47:52 pm »

Asmoth's Log, 27th of Limestone, 254.

Lenehan asked if I had nearly finished analysing his +vial+ of *unknown substance* today. I was able to head him off with vague replies about inconclusive tests and needing more funding (side note: I need more funding), but to be honest I had nearly completely forgotten about it, for two very good reasons: Firstly, Lenehan is desperately trying to clean up the corpses outside before the arrival of a trade caravan, likely in order to prevent the queen (reminder: flay her at first opportunity, then put her in a greenhouse and see how she likes it) from sending someone to investigate. This means that he isn't in the mood to object when I abscond with a few stray body parts, which means I'm drawing ever closer to completing Asmoth's Anatomy, a detailed study of the physiology of the four major intelligent species and their ancestors. Secondly, I have a vampire to test. I have him tied down at the moment, though he hasn't seemed inclined to escape ever since I started feeding him the blood my patients lose in surgery. Interestingly, he seems to have no actual physical need to consume blood, though he seems to become almost feral after being deprived of it for a week or so.

On another note, I've stopped slipping elf meat into Lenehan's diet. It appears to have no effect on him whatsoever, and judging by how he occasionally threatens to eat people who displease him, he has no mental block about consuming intelligent beings either.

On evolution:

My tests on elves have led me to the theory that they are descended from a tree-dwelling predator, due to their penchant for ambushes, and preference for attacking lone targets in groups. My analysis of both live and dead test subjects reveals an almost snake-like ability for lightning quick and very powerful strikes, but much lower stamina than humans or dwarves, which supports my theory of an ambush predator ancestry. It would also explain their attachment to trees, as they would be unlikely to be happy about losing their ancient hunting grounds and homes. It also goes some way to explaining their disdain for other races, as a creature at the top of its food chain has no need to develop empathy or respect for others.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

CubeJackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 16, 2013, 05:33:57 pm »

List of dwarves in the OP has been updated. Gnorm, can you verify that everyone who's been crossed out was a once-living, now-dead dwarf in the fortress?

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 16, 2013, 10:38:05 pm »

Part IV: The High Life (Wintertime Chapter I)

From the journal of Lenehan:

23rd Moonstone, 254

Work on the lowest cellblock in the prison has recommenced; work must be done whilst that blasted liaison is running about the fort. On the subject, another vent has been constructed leading to the aforementioned cellblock. Just two more, and the plan should be ready.

2nd Opal, 254

I have grown too impatient with the work of Dr. Asmoth. Today I stormed into his office and snatched my phial and his notes regarding it right from his desk. The sick monster can continue his experiments in peace now. From his abysmal research, it appears that I'll need to lower the concentration slightly. I'll have plenty of time to do that before the Day of Reckoning occurs, so I'm not too worried.

4th Opal, 254

Today the bloodsucker has been permanently immured within an unfinished cell, sealed off with a green glass wall. No longer will Asmoth be able to use this one as a test subject, and no longer will it threaten our inmates. May it spend the rest of eternity in insanity.

7th Opal, 254

The second-to-last ventilation shaft has been completed. The day of Reckoning is Near, and it is too late for anyone to stop it. Even if Modi and Jackal were alive, they would not have been able to unravel the genius behind my operation. Their minds were too Dwarven.

9th Opal, 254

The liaison came to my office today, claiming that he was almost done with his inspection. He then revealed to me some surprising news; apparently the Queen wished to formally recognize this prison as a section of her domain. As such, he wished for a recommendation for a baron to rule over this prison.

I certainly had a recommendation in mind.

He then, as is customary, asked me what I wished to have in the next caravan. I simply responded with lye, and other similar products. I figured that it was time to start our soap-making industry, and I think Moisturizer needs to be appeased before he snaps.

The liaison then told me the capital's basic wants and bid me farewell. He has acted foolishly, for he has cloaked me in an even greater power than I already possessed.

23rd Opal, 254

The final vent is done, and my machine is almost ready for completion. After a thorough reworking, I believe that my new formula shall function in a better way than the original. There is only one way to find out, however, and I have no time for testing; such tasks were to be left for Asmoth, and he failed in that regard. On the Day of Reckoning, the formula will have its test.

7th Obsidian, 254

Today is the Day of Reckoning. Today, I change this fortress for the better, and all my hard work will have gone to good use. The strong will reap the rewards, and the weak shall all shrivel into dust. Nothing can stop this goal of mine now, for the vents and the machine are already in place. All I need to do is activate the machine, and a new era will begin. Bow to me, strong scions of the dwarves, for your time is now.

List of dwarves in the OP has been updated. Gnorm, can you verify that everyone who's been crossed out was a once-living, now-dead dwarf in the fortress?
As far as I can see, the list is accurate. My dwarf's profession is now "Elf-Party Baron," so the list will have to be updated to show this change.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 02:05:35 am by Gnorm »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 16, 2013, 10:56:26 pm »

Asmoth's Log, 9th of Opal, 254

Lenehan has been stricken by a terrible disease; barony. I won't say he didn't deserve it for taking my vampire away before I could finish my tests (though I extracted enough samples to create a new one from any inmate I care to), but it is a terrible fate to befall any dwarf. From the two barons I've had the opportunity to work on in the past, loss of their possessions results in a quick spiral into insanity for the afflicted. This does provide me with an excellent opportunity to get rid of our new overlord should he attempt to interfere with my tests any further, though. I may see if Moisturiser has any taste for vandalism...

In any case, I never got around to finishing my tests on Lenehan's vial. What I did see concerned me though... I may need to find some way of preventing whatever it is he's planning. Again, Moisturiser may prove useful, as he expressed concern over the ventilation shafts being dug well before I knew what they were for. Then again... I have a dwarf unconscious on my table, and I have some vampire blood in a jar... perhaps I should simply take the easy way out? Dose the dwarf and lock him in Lenehan's room before he wakes up? No... to simple. Too easily traced. Too... crass. This seems to be a delicate game, and I am late to join it. My opening move must be subtle. I shall seek allies, not enemies, first. And then I will get my vampire back. Come, labcoat. There is work to be done.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 16, 2013, 10:59:23 pm »

A dwarf sits on the rough stone floor, hands pressed firmly against the ground. Thoughts race through his head, but the mask that covers his face remains impassive. Today was the day he must strike. Lenehan had eliminated all of his rivals ruthlessly and swiftly, before he could react. But many of them, their souls belonged to the true gods. If the gods were willing, these souls could be used to strike back against Lenehan.
Darkness encompasses the room for a split second, and in that time there is an evil chuckle.
"Find your own way out, if you are so great. Prove your worthiness to serve."
Light floods back into the room, leaving the dwarf's usually impassive mask etched in a for. That may be worry.
"Very well," he said, to nobody in particular, "I will do it myself."
With that, the dwarf stands up and exits the room, headed for where he knew the machine was located. This ended now.

On his way, he bumped into the doctor. Most dwarfs gave the masked dwarf a wide berth, but the doctor had finally approached him the previous month to discuss a possible common interest.
"Are you ready?" The doctor asked.
The masked dwarf only nodded, making his way to a destination known only to himself and his co-conspirators.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:01:55 pm by 4maskwolf »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 17, 2013, 12:07:06 am »

Asmoth's Log, Date redacted.

I may have found my ally. Then again, he may be nothing but Lenehan's spy. I have yet to see him (must verify this is his true gender. All visual clues point towards this, but the unusual can be the downfall of many well laid plans. That and presumption. Presumption is an arsehole.) without his mask, but he tells me he already has a plan and will come to me should he require my assistance. If he does not, so much the better; my hands will be clean should an enquiry be the result of whatever this is.

I will admit that I am slightly wary of associating with someone as religious as this masked dwarf. Religion and my profession rarely mix well, but for the moment we have a common foe at least. He also doesn't appear to worship Armok or the lesser deities of our realm... I do not know if this is good or bad yet.

A spatter of blood marks the rest of the page

My apologies to the reader, should my log ever prove of interest to the scientific community. I had to attend to one of my more recent test subjects. On that note:

Test Three

Observations: Throughout our history, there has been no mention of an elf or goblin vampire. An obvious reason for this would be that as elves and goblins are functionally immortal anyway, the vampire curse would have no effect on them. Since the elves already consume intelligent beings, it's possible that there are in fact many elven vampires, and they are simply indistinguishable from normal elves.

Method: I simply used some of the blood I had extracted from the dwarven vampire that was briefly in my possession (and will be again, with any luck. Lenehan will give my prize back or suffer the consequences), injecting it into the bloodstream of one of my goblin 'volunteers'. I am currently unfortunately low on elf volunteers, but I shall persevere for !!SCIENCE!! I also implanted some flesh I took from my dwarven vampire into my second (and last, unfortunately) goblin volunteer. As a control experiment, I injected the same amount of vampire blood into a dwarf who was recently 'accidentally' declared dead. He revived a few hours after his family left, luckily for me.

Results: The dwarf reacted predictably, with the typical lengthening of the canines and thirst for blood. Unfortunately, I had to silence him instead, as these blasted air vents are channelling more noise than I would like around the fortress. The goblin to whom I gave a blood transfusion reacted... poorly. He seems to have gained far more strength than a dwarven or human vampire would, easily breaking the chains I had bound him to the table with. Luckily, instead of attacking me, he drained the still warm dwarf test subject of blood, then appeared to suffer a major allergic reaction and died before he could turn on me. The goblin I grafted the flesh into seems to have had a similar, though worse, reaction, virtually rotting in front of my eyes.

Thoughts: Perhaps vampirism is caused by some sort of symbiotic micro organism? Rather than a curse, it was intended as a gift, but the immune systems of the affected attack the organism, perhaps causing damage to the bloodstream, which then causes the new vampire to desire to drink it, both to replace the food it no longer requires and to minimise the trauma caused by adjusting to its new form. Then drinking the blood becomes a habit rather than a requirement, perhaps even an addiction. In the case of the goblins, I would guess that as they have no history of vampirism, their immune systems would react more violently towards the organism, resulting in their bodies self destructing as I saw today. In any case, further study is clearly needed.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 17, 2013, 12:12:21 am »

Huh. So I guess that the responsibility for the plan just got thrown back to me.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 17, 2013, 01:20:37 am »

*Modi watches intently, hoping that one of the chosen by jackal and herself end Lenehan's madness*

Modi: It's all up to you guys... Asmoth and that masked stranger will aid you... Don't fail us now! If I could... Wait...

*modi attempts to try and possess a random inmate, will wait for jackal to say if possible or not for redorfing*

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22