Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The EA Wars (Compilation of information)  (Read 7608 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: The EA Wars (Compilation of information)
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 11:30:02 pm »

Hacking is all well and good for undermining support, but lacks lasting punch.  The reason cell-based resistance does not work IRL is the inability of small groups to cause more than minor disruptions in enemy forces, fine for terrorism and propaganda, but useless for long-term strategy (excepting the ability to build popular support for liberating forces). While the groups you've outlined are solid for limited purpose activities Immaterial, we need to give serious thought to the larger-scale conflict, who is fighting EA on their own terms and why (I'm really not trying to be a dick, I see your point completely and support what you've got so far, we just need to tie things together).  Also, I love these groups contextually, they certainly fit the overall 'feel' of the EA wars concept.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:32:17 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 12:01:47 am »

Sounds like I've played too much LCS.
On the topic of who is fighting, can we not look to the American Revolutionary War? There are paralells: a dominating and invasive force, and sparse patches of resistance. If there was something that drew away the occupying forces, like a strike on a major command center, a militia could organize and begin retaking control.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 12:37:49 am »

Reasonable, not quite accurate in the case of the American revolutionary war, as all the milita were functioning under orders of the continental army (not initially, but until they did they were fairly ineffective).  So your vision of the war is more on the order of popular uprising?  Viable, certainly viable, with B12 and the other independants providing aid in the form of forces and equipment.  Oaky, I'm sold on that aspect of the ground war, good call.  If we go with that, we need to know who is in charge of the ground war overall, B12?  Some portion of the UN?  Individual national governments? A newly formed government? (I may be getting a bit stuck here, the problem fundamentally is who is in charge of Earth-based warfare, do we call the shots or do we cooperate with someone else, it will probably be very important for resolving the conflict0>

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 01:31:19 am »

Well, the UN would likely become EA's puppet, and most nations that could supply aid would likely be under attack themselves. Bay12 and other extra-terrestrial organizations would likely be the only ones still able to finance an uprising. Access to vast mineral sources, large technical and logistical skill, and inherently in possesion of both a tactical advantage and advanced technology.
Unless there's another route I missed.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2013, 02:12:46 am »

Okay, we'll go with "B12, the last hope for a free world", it sounds ridiculous, but we're here to have fun, right?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2013, 05:34:52 am »

I would say the UN desolved as mayor player only supported by the last National states that hadnt split completely into Coorporate states. lookt at the bit about eurorpe in one of my earlier posts.

edit: How did Bay12 become so strong? i am sure we took in some of the Kickstarters and SpaceX gave us an early advante but that cant be all. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 05:37:31 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2013, 06:18:10 am »

edit: How did Bay12 become so strong? i am sure we took in some of the Kickstarters and SpaceX gave us an early advante but that cant be all.
a mix of genetic engineering and Eugenics i suspect. By this time we are basicly a race of khan like supermen, it would explain our ridiculously high kill counts for one thing.
edit just did some bad math for mine and nullforceomega's kill count (ussed Us governments cost for death star for mine and current cost of naval equivalent fo NSO's) and here are our fiscal damages to EA WHERE THE HELL DID THEY GET THIS MONEY

8.5e+17$ me
1.5e+13$ NullForceOmega
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:34:11 am by sackhead »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2013, 09:43:15 am »

Okay, we'll go with "B12, the last hope for a free world", it sounds ridiculous, but we're here to have fun, right?
Well, not just Bay12. It would be Bay12 plus the outer system's governments. So, a space UN, for instance, The United Extraterrestrial Settlements.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2013, 11:24:57 am »

a mix of genetic engineering and Eugenics i suspect. By this time we are basicly a race of khan like supermen, it would explain our ridiculously high kill counts for one thing.
edit just did some bad math for mine and nullforceomega's kill count (ussed Us governments cost for death star for mine and current cost of naval equivalent fo NSO's) and here are our fiscal damages to EA WHERE THE HELL DID THEY GET THIS MONEY

8.5e+17$ me
1.5e+13$ NullForceOmega

Its done inhouse with Robotminers and automated construction. The ship hulls and armor are basicly made in Giant Orbital 3D printers/welding bots.   Also its more economic to build bigger stations from materials like concrete. Even a hollowed out Asteroid would work.

I am not fond of the GM stuff to make anything "super" better space adaption thought would work or tailoring other species to our needs. Say "Marsian" Bamboo that can crow outside of preasurized domes.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2013, 11:32:20 am »

Final Year of the First EA War

Upon the discovery of support of resistance groups, EA acted and captured the central figures of Bay 12, Toady One and Threetoe.  Within the raid, scamps was slain by the hired mercenaries.  Upon revelation of this knowledge, Bay12 launched a massive assault that caught EA unawares, managing to recapture Toady One and Threetoe.  The two were then evacuated to the Mars colonies.  With the major damage to the structures by the Bay12 attack, an armistice was made between the two powers, which was broken by EA at the breakout of the second war three years later.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:34:52 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2013, 12:16:25 pm »

As to 'where the hell did EA get this money', we are assuming heavy industrialization of space, material cost would bottom out due to the availability of almost every basic material we use.
I don't support 'super-human B12' I prefer to believe that the high concentration of unorthodox intelligence present in the community would lend itself to very advanced stragtegic and tactical thinking.
So far this is definitely looking like total systemic collapse on Earth, leading to massive exploitation of the Sol system's resources (I am using a less deranged version of the B12 space program as a basis for the B12 Mars colonies).
I'd like to get a better idea of the pricipal personalities in the war, who leads EA, who are the leaders of the resistance, who commands the various branches of B12's forces? (In spite of my assertion of terrifying baddassery as a ship commander, I am just one of many operating under the banner of B12's space forces)

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2013, 12:56:51 pm »

Name: Thomas Cox
Born in: Trade Federation of Belgium (AKA European states)
Stationed: Strike Fleet 9
Clearance: Level Omega

Hell, the things I've seen. I've led the assault on the EA HQ in Outer European Space, got pulled out of the Bioware Martian Prisons (by Zanzetkuken's team, if I recall this correctly). Lost a lot of good men and women, though.

And Origin, I'm not even going to talk about that. I was second in command there, and I never felt so glad after [REDACTED]. That traitor deserved what was coming for him.

And about how we got so strong? SpaceX' support was REALLY underappreciated. But orbital superiority is something that should not be underestimated. Then, they actually came for us.

We were unprepared, I have to admit that. Nobody would EVER have thought Bioware could've made an actual copy of the Normandy SR-2, let alone the Destiny Ascension. 3.5 kilometers of pure doom. It eventually got rammed by, if I remember this correctly, the Gaben Stronk, a Steam vessel, holding the admiral of the Steam Naval Forces. I was only a captain back then, but I took command in the ensuing chaos. The rear admiral was completely incompetent, and I was captain of our largest surviving dreadnought, the Gaben I. All it took was a few words, and I was in command.

I'll never forget that battle. In the first year of the War, on September the 19th, had you looked up to the night sky, you might have noticed a blink here and there. Those where MY men and women dying, and I will remember them as if they were my own brothers and sisters.

Don't let anyone ever tell you that 51 isn't old. I can still hear their silent screams, I can still see the face of a fighter pilot as she got hit by their point defences, the scream dying on her lips. If only we had been prepared. If only we had listened to the resistance cells, some of them might still be alive. And whatever you do, should you ever find the mangled wrecks that are the remnants of the Second Fleet in Lunar territory, don't even try to salvage. It is the tomb of the men and women that died right there, and you wouldn't want to have a run in with any ships patrolling that area. Armed to the teeth, they are.
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2013, 01:11:03 pm »

I'm still inclined to see Bay12 as a pretty small power, but one with an abundance of technical and scientific knowledge and a small, highly educated and devoted population. I have no idea what to say about our industrial capacity, but Bay12 would probably not be even worth considering as a military threat on its own. Our main strategic value would be in a huge capacity for technical, logistics, and tactical support.

At the same time though, we would probably have to do a lot of retooling to bring our capacity away from civilian production and ‼Science‼ toward military support and some other power would have to do the heavy lifting of actually fighting EA on their own terms, be it a more established extra-terrestrial power or an Earth-based government or organization.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2013, 01:46:54 pm »

B12, having to retool from civilian and !!SCIENCE!! to military? (You DO remember where you are, correct?)  I think I share some of that veiwpoint tho', I just can't see B12 as the biggest player in the war, probably the most aggresive, but not the biggest.  That's the main reason I've been trying to come up with (or see if someone else can come up with) an over-arching structure to the resistance.  At this point I'm willing to go along with a tight coalition of extraterrestrial powers, with B12 representing Mars and Microsoft representing Io, but that isn't going to cut it for a big war.  We need some clear idea as to who is in this war (we know what's at stake, freedom to choose and self-govern), I'm going to propose a list of candidates.
Possible resistance members:
Sony
IBM
HP
Intel
Komatsu Heavy industries
Honda
GM
Toyota
ASUS
Nvidia (unlikely to support us)
Exxon Mobile (likely to be under EA's thumb)
John Deere
Logitech
Sega
Google (not frikkin' likely, these bastards are even worse than EA)
Apple (even worse than Google)
AOL
Samsung
Pepsico
Coke (I hate these bastards but w/e)
MCdonalds
Wal Mart

((Iknow there are many, many more, but that's what Ive got off the top of my head))

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2013, 02:41:01 pm »

Sony would likely have Titan, and I honestly doubt that Walmart would fight against EA. Also, Google might just be pissed that EA kicked them off Earth, so they might be fighting, just not along side us. Lets not forget about 4khan and Reddit. They would definitively have colonies on the belt, we have ones on Mars, along with other Internet communities. Finally, I'm suprised that behemoths like Activision-Blizzard dont have colonies on say, Phobos, or something similar.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6