Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Jupiter Hell (from the makers of DoomRL) - In Early Access on Steam!  (Read 13650 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

>>>>>>Kickstarter link<<<<<<<

http://jupiterhell.com/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/16/doomrl-sequel/
http://indiestatik.com/2013/10/14/jupiter-hell-2/?utm_source=feedly - Q&A with the dev

Aiming to be a 3d turn-based roguelike, daemon blasting in ssssppppppaaaaaaccccceeee. The appearance will be "close to how X-COM or Space Hulk present."

Quote from: Kornel
“Jupiter Hell will be both a successor to DoomRL and AliensRL using ideas that I had for both, but with real production values,” Kornel told me after I asked him about his new announcement. “It will be modern, but classic: the graphics will be non-cartoon 3D with animated models, but it still will be grid based, turn-based and brutally permadeath.”

Not sure I agree with him on the "Non-cartoony 3d" but I guess it's still pre-alpha footage.

The game is focusing on horizontal rather than vertical depth. If you've played The Binding of Isaac, that concept will be familiar to you.

There will be a Kickstarter incoming at some point.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:57:43 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Jupiter Hell (from the makers of DoomRL)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 02:10:09 pm »

Hmm. Interesting. Well, I liked DoomRL and AliensRL, so I'm interested in seeing where this goes.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:46:31 pm »

Please excuse me while I procure a new pair of pants. These are filled with... delight >_>
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 03:59:33 pm »

I have every confidence in this project going the distance.   8)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 04:15:22 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DarrenGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 05:54:40 am »

Bit of thread necromancy here... Jupiter Hell went quiet for a bit, but has had a big acceleration in the past year, and there's now a new teaser trailer released in advance of a Kickstarter beginning next week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj1-KQEGmsM

If anyone thinks they recognise the voice, that's Mark Meer, aka Commander Shepard from Mass Effect - he's voicing the marine in the game. There's much more information about Jupiter Hell on its web-site with more to come when the Kickstarter launches. Kornel, the lead developer, is also doing regular live development on Twitch.

I'm on the devteam for the game, doing writing and design. Ask if you have any questions and I'll be happy to answer. I can also pull Kornel on here :)

If it's not clear, this is a completely traditional roguelike in terms of mechanics, but with a much more polished look and feel than many have. A big objective here is to bring traditional, turn-based roguelikes to a wider audience, reaching the sort of gamers that fell in love with the new X-COM games. "Roguelites" are great, but they're not selling the full roguelike experience and we think a lot of people are missing out. A successor to DoomRL, with the same fast and furious coffeebreak roguelike gameplay, has the best chance of capturing this audience whilst remaining a roguelike that classic fans can love. And for uber-traditionalists there's still an ASCII mode!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 06:38:09 am »

Nice trailer.
PTW
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 06:39:26 am »

Hey Darren, whassup??? Long time no read.

Sounds pretty cool - I do love my ASCII. Does that make me an uber-traditionalist? I guess? I love awesome smooth keyboard interfaces (like Crawl :-/) even more though.

Anyway, ptw <cheers>
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 10:05:08 am »

This looks fantastic and I'm super psyched - I must have spent hours on DoomRL.

I guess my main questions are how closely related this will be to DoomRL - it had a lot of rather different mechanics to most RLs (small loot/basic weapon pool, different levelling up etc.) This worked great for DoomRL, but I suppose I wonder if JH is staying with that, or going into a more traditional RL feel?

Second question is how long this will be in length. DRL had smallish, very challenging levels but for a more commercial game I suspect people will want a bit more to chew on. This isn't to say there should be more filler, I'm just wondering how it'll be different I guess.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 10:40:52 am »

*That feel when you see a thread you didn't remember creating and it's been bumped by a dev*
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 11:54:25 am »

Video looks good. I'll be backing this one when the kickstarter goes up.

Please post the link in here when it does. I'll probably fail to notice otherwise, which would be sad.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

DarrenGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 03:53:15 pm »

Hey Darren, whassup??? Long time no read.

Sounds pretty cool - I do love my ASCII. Does that make me an uber-traditionalist? I guess? I love awesome smooth keyboard interfaces (like Crawl :-/) even more though.

Yo vogonpoet! Good to see you here :) You'll be pleased to know the game will have pure keyboard support, and that the animation systems adapts fully to the speed of your keypresses. It'll be just as fast to play as any traditional roguelike.

I guess my main questions are how closely related this will be to DoomRL - it had a lot of rather different mechanics to most RLs (small loot/basic weapon pool, different levelling up etc.) This worked great for DoomRL, but I suppose I wonder if JH is staying with that, or going into a more traditional RL feel?

Second question is how long this will be in length. DRL had smallish, very challenging levels but for a more commercial game I suspect people will want a bit more to chew on. This isn't to say there should be more filler, I'm just wondering how it'll be different I guess.

Well, if we could call it DoomRL 2 we probably would. But obviously we can't ;) Lots of the mechanics that made DoomRL unique and brilliant will remain. There will be variety and interesting options in the game, but it won't be a slog through many menus and the focus will be on shooting through enemies. It will be fast-paced and fluid, and very combat focused.

Levels are bigger than DoomRL - more in line with AliensRL, another game by Kornel. The actual game length will be variable, but a bit more to chew on than DoomRL, and optional side missions and such. Depending on the funding reached there may be addition routes through the game - adding content sideways rather than lengthways to provide replay variety instead of just stretching out the game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 10:24:22 pm »

I gotta say, while the Jupiter Hell as a title has that kind of ironic/self-referential ring to it I generally don't like, it also just sounds rad. Like, Band Name rad.

Epyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 07:19:32 am »

Kornel here, thanks for all the warm words :)

I actually wanted to pop in and answer questions, but seems Darren beat me to it. Still, if you have any other questions about Jupiter Hell or the upcoming Kickstarter, do not hesitate to ask!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 08:39:07 am »

Well, if we could call it DoomRL 2 we probably would. But obviously we can't ;) Lots of the mechanics that made DoomRL unique and brilliant will remain. There will be variety and interesting options in the game, but it won't be a slog through many menus and the focus will be on shooting through enemies. It will be fast-paced and fluid, and very combat focused.

Levels are bigger than DoomRL - more in line with AliensRL, another game by Kornel. The actual game length will be variable, but a bit more to chew on than DoomRL, and optional side missions and such. Depending on the funding reached there may be addition routes through the game - adding content sideways rather than lengthways to provide replay variety instead of just stretching out the game.

Awesome! Thanks for that Darren, it clears it up a lot! I love the idea of different branches/horizontals - I've always loved the DCSS ethos of having certain branches only appear occasionally so I hope that sort of thing will be making it in. There's no better RL gameplay moment where your favourite/worst branch pops up and you either have to make some tough choices or just bask in your glorious foresight.

I suppose if I had one wish it would be to have a bit more character customisation, especially at the earlier/initial stages. Many other RLs allow you to quickly and widely customise your character after start due to the amount of stuff lying around, whereas DoomRL tended to railroad you a bit in terms of choices as there was a low (relatively speaking) number of weapons. Obviously this makes for much faster play, but I don't think a bit more customisation would hurt that ethos, especially as it would allow for much more replayability. Mostly this replayability is in terms of not feeling like you can't do anything different next time ('Maybe if I put more points into speed, I wouldn't get trapped by xyz').

I am currently gyrating in excitement.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5