Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Jupiter Hell (from the makers of DoomRL) - In Early Access on Steam!  (Read 13651 times)

Epyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jupiter Hell (from the makers of DoomRL)
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 10:09:04 am »

I suppose if I had one wish it would be to have a bit more character customisation, especially at the earlier/initial stages. Many other RLs allow you to quickly and widely customise your character after start due to the amount of stuff lying around, whereas DoomRL tended to railroad you a bit in terms of choices as there was a low (relatively speaking) number of weapons. Obviously this makes for much faster play, but I don't think a bit more customisation would hurt that ethos, especially as it would allow for much more replayability. Mostly this replayability is in terms of not feeling like you can't do anything different next time ('Maybe if I put more points into speed, I wouldn't get trapped by xyz').
We're steering toward a trait/perk tree system, where each perk/trait you choose has a significant and immedately perceptible effect. Each class would have a separete tree, maybe even a few of those. We want several builds possible within a class, and each of those builds should have several possibilities to tweak. Some common generally useful traits will allow for another layer of customizability. We're more interested in effect/skill related traits that increase tactical options, than just stat-raising traits.

I am currently gyrating in excitement.

So are we :D

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 11:25:51 am »

We're steering toward a trait/perk tree system, where each perk/trait you choose has a significant and immedately perceptible effect. Each class would have a separete tree, maybe even a few of those. We want several builds possible within a class, and each of those builds should have several possibilities to tweak. Some common generally useful traits will allow for another layer of customizability. We're more interested in effect/skill related traits that increase tactical options, than just stat-raising traits.

Ahh awesome, yeah a class specific skill trees plus a general one (with synergies!) would be fantastic. The Diablo 2 model for that was very, very fulfilling even if it did have a few flaws.

Last question for now, will there be gear customisation? POWER MOD THAT CHAINGUN!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Epyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 04:39:18 pm »

Last question for now, will there be gear customisation? POWER MOD THAT CHAINGUN!

Obligatory :D

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 04:58:31 pm »

PTW
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 05:39:00 pm »

Any idea of the expected length of development if you meet the minimum kickstarter amount? Just a ballpark figure, non-binding and all that (I'd rather it be good than you guys cutting corners to meet a certain release schedule).

Anyway, good luck with it. I'll be throwing some money in on the 15th. Kornel has an excellent track record of making great, fun-to-play games, so I've got faith in Chaosforge's ability to deliver the goods.
It's a game. Have fun.

Epyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2016, 06:46:08 pm »

So many familiar nicks :)

Any idea of the expected length of development if you meet the minimum kickstarter amount? Just a ballpark figure, non-binding and all that (I'd rather it be good than you guys cutting corners to meet a certain release schedule).

Don't treat is as totally official yet, but we're aiming at Q3 2017 for Early Access release.

Anyway, good luck with it. I'll be throwing some money in on the 15th. Kornel has an excellent track record of making great, fun-to-play games, so I've got faith in Chaosforge's ability to deliver the goods.

Thank you! :)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2016, 05:27:46 am »

I watched the trailer, but I was left unclear on an important roguelike topic 

Does this have permadeath?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 06:29:28 am »

I watched the trailer, but I was left unclear on an important roguelike topic 

From what I understand from the website, yes it does!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Epyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2016, 11:57:59 am »

They say it does, but who are they anyway? :P

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2016, 06:11:32 pm »

Another quick question, are you thinking of making modding available as a stretch goal? DoomRL had some pretty extensive LUA backend modding support, so are there thoughts of adding something like this to Jupiter Hell at some point in the future?
It's a game. Have fun.

Epyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2016, 06:41:19 pm »

Another quick question, are you thinking of making modding available as a stretch goal? DoomRL had some pretty extensive LUA backend modding support, so are there thoughts of adding something like this to Jupiter Hell at some point in the future?

There are some things that people would expect to be put in stretch goals that I do not intend to:
  • Linux version, also in Beta phase
  • ASCII mode
  • Full modding support
All of these are considered vital for the project, and thus are in the base game itself :P. I pointed them out, because people often ask if they'll be stretch goals.

Stretch goals themselves will be more game related -- additional planet, more enemy types, full procedural destruction etc.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2016, 06:57:20 pm »

Nice. I was already sold on it, but anything with modding integral to the project gets an extra vote of support from me.

With the wider audience expected, who knows what people will come up with? Cheers.
It's a game. Have fun.

Epyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jupiter Hell (from the makers of DoomRL) - Kickstarting
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2016, 01:01:43 pm »

Exactly 24 hours left 'till launch, please be there with us when the clock strikes, as the first few hours are extremely vital for any kickstarter!

You can follow the countdown on the webpage :)

http://jupiterhell.com

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2016, 02:24:42 pm »

Exactly 24 hours left 'till launch, please be there with us when the clock strikes, as the first few hours are extremely vital for any kickstarter!

You can follow the countdown on the webpage :)

Because I'm ridiculously rubbish at such things - could you (or someone else) remind us all again when it's live?

Epyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2016, 02:34:23 pm »

Because I'm ridiculously rubbish at such things - could you (or someone else) remind us all again when it's live?

6PM UTC, the Jupiter Hell homepage has an exact countdown independent of the timezone you're in, that's why I linked it :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5