Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]

Author Topic: Elite - Dangerous  (Read 35677 times)

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elite - Dangerous
« Reply #270 on: October 16, 2020, 03:21:38 pm »

I'm waiting for walking outside the ship to play again. But ED never felt like it was supposed to be an MMO, is it even advertised as one? Its definitely not in the steam tags (and there are games that are definitely NOT MMOs with the MMO tag on steam, like all the free mobile games converted to steam games pay to win junk). There isn't even a co-op or multiplayer tag at all.

To me, it felt like it was supposed to be an ultra high realistic space simulator, that was super niche like euro/american truck simulator but with the option to play with friends. But that gets ruined actually because of the PvP, if there was no PvP playing with friends would be vastly better because you could get a bunch of friends together and have a fun time doing stuff. But I don't think it was ever supposed to be an MMO. It doesn't even feel like its a social game because all there is in the social part is people ganking new players.

To me, its a game that if you like euro truck simulator and slow drawn out travel times from point a to b, that its a good game for that. With the added bonus of it being in space and some combat and stuff. Where as the multiplayer stuff is just tacked on for whatever reason, but gets ruined due to the ganking.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 16, 2020, 03:59:20 pm »

Yeah, that's accurate.

I don't play online where ganking is a thing. Not where I have to pay around 20% of my current bank account to get my ship back.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 16, 2020, 04:06:29 pm »

All the multiplayer setup means the game is vastly different from what it could be.

Frontier Elite 2 (1993, size of a floppy disk) had a 1:1 ish size scale galaxy including planets with real physics and bodies orbiting. You could travel around and objects would orbit around bodies realistically. It had a setting where you could speed up time and it was because of this you could see orbiting bodies.

When Elite Dangerous was first announced on Kickstarter I backed it immediately in the hopes it would be something similar to Elite 2, unfortunately once plans of multiplayer came that really ruined that notion. So it's very much a hybrid MMO with people jumping in and out of your experience.

I was disappointed by what it ended up with, but still better than backing Star Citizen...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 16, 2020, 04:13:01 pm »

I don't want it to be an MMO, I just want it not to be a pain in the ass to do something simple like going mining with a friend and splitting the profits.

Naxza

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanderer of Broken Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 16, 2020, 04:23:56 pm »

I was hoping, hoping, hoping there'd be something out there still worth seeing or discovering. Some speckling of notable stars in the middle of as many novel clusters as they can find, some anomalous features in the band of orange-red bodies plucked from out galaxy and sprayed across space not far from the Bubble. Some interesting formations, organic life, specks of novelty against the grander backdrop of the wide empty galaxy. There is a literal goddamn GALAXY OF STARS AND CELESTIAL BODIES waiting to be speckled with all kinds of secret things.

Best you can hope to do is find an earth-like planet someone hasn't honked at yet and compare whether or not sulfuric fumaroles have been discovered in known space, The Abyss, and the Sanguineous Rim, or ferry digital passengers to well-trodden points of interest, like the center of the nearest nebula.

We'll get space legs eventually, but for what? There's nothing new under the sun.

I don't regret buying Elite, given the sensation of winding through space, my vessel directed by the two joysticks I thrifted, and all the joy that comes with that physicality of play. I just don't know why I'd play it again if my angle is exploration and its expression is jumping for hours and hours to chart more of everything mundane. Perhaps I could find a frozen rock that's bigger than every other frozen rock?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 17, 2020, 01:15:28 am »

When Elite Dangerous was first announced on Kickstarter I backed it immediately in the hopes it would be something similar to Elite 2
Let's not get too nostalgic for Elite 2. Remember having to joust through hordes of pirates in dingy Eagles every single time you jumped to a new system, regardless of how far out in the galaxy? The level of sameness orders of magnitude in excess of ED's? The magic of teleportation the accelerated time enabled?
In most aspects of the original game(s) I can think of, ED is an improvement. The only disappointment for me was doing away with the Newtonian flight model, even though I can appreciate it probably being a good decision from the game design point of view.

I was hoping, hoping, hoping there'd be something out there still worth seeing or discovering. Some speckling of notable stars in the middle of as many novel clusters as they can find, some anomalous features in the band of orange-red bodies plucked from out galaxy and sprayed across space not far from the Bubble. Some interesting formations, organic life, specks of novelty against the grander backdrop of the wide empty galaxy. There is a literal goddamn GALAXY OF STARS AND CELESTIAL BODIES waiting to be speckled with all kinds of secret things.

Best you can hope to do is find an earth-like planet someone hasn't honked at yet and compare whether or not sulfuric fumaroles have been discovered in known space, The Abyss, and the Sanguineous Rim, or ferry digital passengers to well-trodden points of interest, like the center of the nearest nebula.

We'll get space legs eventually, but for what? There's nothing new under the sun.
While I can appreciate the sentiment, I think making a realistic-sized galaxy fun to discover is an unreasonably tall order. What's the exploration status now? 200 million systems out of 400 billion? Likely most of it is just passing through without paying much attention.
That's both extraordinarily huge and vanishingly small. So it's either sink god knows how much development time into unique content that has exceedingly good chance of never being seen by anyone, or make it generic and common. Or make a few well-crafted bits and funnel the players to where you've placed them, like they do with the various story events.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 17, 2020, 03:00:07 am »

When Elite Dangerous was first announced on Kickstarter I backed it immediately in the hopes it would be something similar to Elite 2
Let's not get too nostalgic for Elite 2. Remember having to joust through hordes of pirates in dingy Eagles every single time you jumped to a new system, regardless of how far out in the galaxy? The level of sameness orders of magnitude in excess of ED's? The magic of teleportation the accelerated time enabled?
In most aspects of the original game(s) I can think of, ED is an improvement. The only disappointment for me was doing away with the Newtonian flight model, even though I can appreciate it probably being a good decision from the game design point of view.

Don't get me wrong, I get how there are many gameplay annoyances in Elite 2, but I'm just saying for that level of genius to have all of it's features in 1993, in the size of something that is around the same size as an average email still blows my mind. I was hoping they would do something far greater in a procedural universe. Even the early designer videos they were talking about how your player actions can influence the universe, but also how life would go on with factions taking actions.

If it was single player it could have done something similar with Elite 2 with actually being able to fly on planet surfaces, with some interstellar war going on, perhaps even permanent destruction of space stations or even planets.

I had high hopes it's true, but I would have bet on David Braben delivering something like that.

I haven't actually sunk that much time into Elite Dangerous though, maybe like ~10 hours when it first released, once Horizons goes free I may give it another go.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]