Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 45

Author Topic: Wurm Online  (Read 98192 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wurm Online
« Reply #585 on: July 29, 2018, 10:14:29 pm »

Anyone else try the modded servers and just get a feeling like they're TOO easy?

All the time, but not necessarily in Wurm. I generally find myself playing vanilla until I get sick of it and then bumping the numbers up to insane levels for shiggles.

I don't think I could play unmodded Wurm anymore, though. Uncertain and limited play times mean the "no rot" thing and some level of experience multiplier and/or task quickener are a must. Now that I've got a small child, gone are the days of working for eight hours, playing Wurm for eight hours, and then fitting sleep and food in when necessary.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #586 on: July 31, 2018, 11:40:51 am »

I don't know, i'm finding it kind of relaxing in a way to play Wurm like this again. Crops growing on a 12 hour cycle, skills at the usual rate. Projects take longer, but I don't feel rushed to get everything done. Just been farming and cooking, doing some hunting with 20ql gear.

It's kind of the same grind on the fast servers, the only diff is other players have 99ql stuff instead of 50ql stuff.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 05, 2018, 07:17:50 pm »

So I have a VPS that I'm not really using anymore and have been playing with the idea of running my own server.

I'm thinking something like:
2x skillgain, 1x action
Biggest map I can get the server to reliably run (it's an 8gig vps, so I would imagine I could run a pretty big one - I'm not sure how CPU intensive large maps are though, it doesn't have a huge CPU allowance).
An archipelago type map with a small PvE island in the center, with sea and surrounding islands pvp enabled. Moon metals on the surrounding islands. In-game map would be of the pvp island with maybe some outline of any larger islands but everything would have to be explored.
Priest restrictions on. Possibly modified priest restrictions if I can figure out how to do it.
No alts allowed so priest restrictions actually matter
Mostly vanilla except for quality of life improvements and things to increase the fun (definitely treasure hunting).
Possibly some kind of starting skill bonus choice ala UO, also depending on if I can learn WU modding well enough to pull it off. (ie, pick a profession at the start).

Would this be something that any of you would play? Would be at least a week to get everything sorted (world building the kind of map I would want would take a while, I imagine), but I could run it for as long as anyone wanted to still play on it.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 16, 2019, 03:21:55 pm »

Anyone happen to lurk this thread but not own Wurm Unlimited?

Here ya go, Unlimited and four other nifty things for $3.99. I'm pretty sure that's the lowest price it's ever been available for.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 31, 2019, 01:22:27 pm »

Anyone still playing this? Don't seem to be to many interesting servers left up.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 31, 2019, 06:58:40 pm »

I ran my server for a bit but never got much interest, so I never ended up doing much with it beyond goofing around with modding (mostly making brewing and cooking more interesting allowing spices to be added to fermentation on beers and making like 50 new recipes, and the crazy treasure hunting setup that ended up being really time consuming to do with the map being so darn huge). I don't think anyone else even left the center island before I gave up on it, heh.

I'm still kind of interested in playing it, but the servers I was most interested in playing on are gone and the ones left seem a lot less populated. I guess Wurm Unlimited isn't near as popular as it once was.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 31, 2019, 10:41:41 pm »

Only server I have found that has things I like is Silverblades. The RU/EN one. Not that I have seen very many english speaking players on there. The rest of em are like 8x with no cool downs on stuff.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 02, 2019, 12:10:28 am »

I might be interested in giving this a go again. Big 'might' though, I dont have the freetime I used to

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 06, 2019, 09:45:04 pm »

I keep going back to wurm, and every time I do I realize that for all of history, prior to industrialization and a comparatively small length of time before that, the primary way to get a lot of stuff done was slaves, and it was that way for a very good reason. 

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 15, 2019, 08:50:49 pm »

got an update the other day

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 15, 2019, 09:51:05 pm »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 16, 2019, 04:50:23 pm »

Oh wow nice update.

I have a thing with Wurm in which I think it's atmosphere is amazing. I don't feel the same way playing any other game, and Minecraft is a different type of thing. The only thing that I got a close feeling is Eco, especially during the night on 15+ player-populated servers.. But the feeling dies off very fast due to the many rendering quirks and relatively small world, and also zero lore, mobs and so on.

I'm not sure yet if it's due to Wurm being one of the first games of its kind I played as a kid/teen, so it adds a nostalgia factor of sorts (which I really don't think it is), or if it's due to the game being developed as sort of a cross between a MMO, RPG and oldschool Virtual-World / Virtual-Life Sims. And maybe it's because I really like the sounds and soundtrack coherence, with the overall theme of the game. The lore of the game and how things work almost make me feel that the deities are watching my actions..
I'm telling you, I don't play Wurm a lot but this weird magical feeling and atmosphere I get out of it is weird, and I can't tell why. It's very weird when I can't explain something I feel out of a game.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 17, 2019, 12:35:46 pm »

I went and tried to play wurm unlimited yesterday. Only seemed to be one active server. I became too disinterested solely because their world has been pretty developed by players already (over a year and a half of play time at least). I remember liking wurm when it was somewhat of an adventure, striking out into the untamed wilds.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 17, 2019, 01:33:33 pm »

Hmm... I was considering starting up a solo server to putz around in. Maybe I should open it up to a few communities. I see that Paul said something last year and got little interest but given my intent to go solo if I must, not having anyone else join wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me.

Should I do this, offers would be sent to B12, the PC gaming community that I occasionally participate in, some coworkers, a small RPG group I'm in, and the Geekdo network. Whoever's in could then invite whoever they want. So most of the benefits of an open server while also having all the benefits of a closed server. A few yeses mean I look into it. Nothing means I toddle off and play withby myself.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 17, 2019, 01:36:20 pm »

Good chance I would join.  Been having an itch to play worm for awhile.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 45