Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45

Author Topic: Wurm Online  (Read 103159 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wurm Online
« Reply #645 on: January 25, 2020, 08:45:24 pm »

Wow. Good job on that. I remember some of us wanted to settle underground when there was a B12 "raid" (oh gods...) 13 years or so ago but underground building wasn't a thing. I just assumed it still wasn't a thing.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 25, 2020, 10:57:00 pm »

Too, it was too popular.  It hurt WO, which lived off subscriptions and currency purchases.  They felt like they were losing money.  Didn't help that it goes on huge discount 4+ times a year.

They lost subs to WU, lost subs when they added content to WU and WO, but regained when they added content to WO and not WU.  So they are going the simplest route; let the players add the content they aren't.

But that's mostly my opinion based on what the devs have said in the past and my own observations.

In better news:  The Cave has been fully mined out, leveled and the inn has been finished.  Thanks greatly in part to Urist.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Starting work on the workshop and my tower, but am going to go back to work on the bridge over the coming canal.

I can understand why they did it, but I don't think it's gonna end too well for em. I can't really see too many people returning to the slow pace of WO.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 26, 2020, 12:53:57 pm »

I bought WU because I didn't want to pay a subscription, plus it was on a big sale from a humble bundle.
Considering that the playerbase of WU went up 139.78% in October of 2017, I reckon that I'm not the only one. Although I suppose any audience they've retained in the the two years and a few months since is bound to be loyal enough, the average player count is actually below what it was before the October humble bundle.
Source: https://steamcharts.com/app/366220

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 15, 2020, 09:27:45 am »

Received an email. Reading them pretend that this is the first Steam launch is interesting.

Quote from: The email
Dear Wurmians,

Since our announcement of Wurm coming to Steam, we've been hard at work getting everything polished and ready for the launch. Over the past eight months, we approached several tasks to improve the Wurm experience for all; this includes:

Improved UI
    Removal of RMT and account sales
    Visual updates and reworks
    Removal of player gods

We are pleased to announce that with the volumetric lighting out, and the new UI approaching preview client stage, we will be launching Wurm on Steam on July 24th, 2020!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 15, 2020, 06:40:13 pm »

Wasn't the first steam release a sort of mini version not connected to the official servers?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: October 15, 2020, 10:52:16 am »

I just started playing a week ago on a PVE server called Severed Realms.

It was near the top of the list when I sorted by number of players, but I think it usually has less than 10 players online.

Everyone starts at around 20 skill and gain is 5x, gets a maintenance-free deed, and it has some QoL mods. It's been fun so far.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: February 06, 2024, 08:24:31 pm »

RISE FROM THE ABYSS, WHICH LIES BEYOND THE REALM OF DEATH

thats how old this thread is, but don't want to make a dumb wurm thread that is just my initial thoughts on the game

Playing on Xanadu (biggest land, but most mountains/forests, which personally prefer than too much flat...anywho)

Made a settlement, threw money at the game to get it since I took over someones abandoned base so I started with everything need to survive (except at least for now, a fountain :( ). Even has clay

Someone on the Kenshi thread said you can fail at digging, but that must been a long time ago cause you just dig. And DIG YOU WILL! Want a mine? DIG DIG DIG! YOU WILL DIG THAT HOLE! As in...probably spend hours and hours digging a single mine hole lol. Game is super super grindy, cause apparently it takes around 50 times to dig a mine tunnel. And it takes a long time to do a single dig attempt xD

Community is not very small like I thought it be, I guess in comparison to big MMOs its small...but I think its medium size. If you want a (dead/tiny/small whatever want to call it) MMO then just look at Ryzom or Istaria, great MMOs but SUPER TINY like barely 20 people on in istaria at a single time and its super silent, dunno how ryzom is these days but think its about the same or was. But island I'm on has like around 100-150 people on it when I checked last at the same time (and about 600 across the various islands), and thats only logged on people. Surprisingly lively imo. And a rather friendly bunch.

I'm in process of building a house, have yet to build the doorway xD It takes a lot of time to build a single wall and door...so...again, lots of grind and time to do stuff.

Game is easy imo, just lots of grind. The monsters are super tough early on, I imagine later they get easy like most games. But thats just part of...again...the grind

As someone who never played before, I like it a lot and dont mind grinding in games. Heck I played haven and hearth by myself solo for a whole year before they wiped the servers, I took over this abandoned russian base and had it all to myself. Probably made it a lot easier tbh. But after they did that (the wipe) I was ticked off and never or will never play again :P I only heard that game from a friend, but never read about it or anything so I didnt know it was a wipe a server game :( but point being, I spent a year in that game by myself and that game also was rather slow and grindy. That was like 10 years ago it feels like, a LONG time ago, back whenever it first released but about 3-4 months after it actually came out...so whenever that was up to the time they wiped everyone

As for wurm, while I bought the WoW expansion+subbed to it and have other new games I got...all I've done is wurm, so for me that means I'm enjoying it. I can see it being super niche cause the grind is insane, but hey.

And time for a dumb settlement ad

If anyone wants to join my settlement and interested in Wurm (I named it Hobbiton cause...well...dunno, its not really a hobbit looking settlement tbh, but it does have a big mine xD)

I'm somewhere in the red circle

https://imgur.com/a/TqcZ3j4

can see the overall map here

http://xanadu.yaga.host/#
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 08:26:10 pm by The_Explorer »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: February 06, 2024, 09:22:56 pm »

I've played Wurm a handful of times but never got especially far. Overall I like it, but I was never part of a community that lasted more than a few days. The biggest project I ever did was planning out a road from the shore up a massive hill. Pretty sure the hill ended up being too steep but oh well. Every time my progression has pretty much been halted by tool improvements requiring animal pelts, and I've never done combat or hunting or anything so I've no idea how to actually get those without dying.

If you've got tons of free time or have youtube/whatever videos to watch then Wurm seems like a nice game to have running on the second monitor. A while back a standalone version was released but I haven't looked into it.

E: Also the existence of PvP where all of your work can just be undone by raiders is kind've unfortunate...

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: February 06, 2024, 09:58:34 pm »

I've played Wurm a handful of times but never got especially far. Overall I like it, but I was never part of a community that lasted more than a few days. The biggest project I ever did was planning out a road from the shore up a massive hill. Pretty sure the hill ended up being too steep but oh well. Every time my progression has pretty much been halted by tool improvements requiring animal pelts, and I've never done combat or hunting or anything so I've no idea how to actually get those without dying.

If you've got tons of free time or have youtube/whatever videos to watch then Wurm seems like a nice game to have running on the second monitor. A while back a standalone version was released but I haven't looked into it.

E: Also the existence of PvP where all of your work can just be undone by raiders is kind've unfortunate...

Most islands are PVE now, but yeah it did used to be a PvP game I guess. In-game someone was telling me about it. But now there are like 2? 3? pvp islands and the rest are PVE

To be quite honest though outside of PvP stuff, before I arrived at my spot, most places seem pretty abandoned. North of my place along the coast is tons of free real estate, I thought of relocating to one of those but decided not to as my area is good and has clay.

Speaking of clay, when you dig a few times, apparently all you have to do is dump dirt (sand works too) on a clay tile and it refills it, doesn't change the clay resource to something else...so...infinite clay, which is actually very rare without a water source.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: February 07, 2024, 09:45:20 am »

The thing is, I don't think buying in Wurm Online is worth it. Unlimited is as cheap as 1-3 months premium (depending on sales). Bigger servers had communities almost as big as Online, last time I played. They usually didn't require "premium" for small/active claims. PvP was mostly off. You have a choice of how much grind you want (skill multiplier/timers/dig counts/whatever server settings). And mods, although I didn't see/try anything huge.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: February 07, 2024, 11:17:41 am »

The thing is, I don't think buying in Wurm Online is worth it. Unlimited is as cheap as 1-3 months premium (depending on sales). Bigger servers had communities almost as big as Online, last time I played. They usually didn't require "premium" for small/active claims. PvP was mostly off. You have a choice of how much grind you want (skill multiplier/timers/dig counts/whatever server settings). And mods, although I didn't see/try anything huge.

Each their own :) I was tempted to go that route. The biggest thing for me is Wurm Online is still updated, and Unlimited hasn't been updated it in ages so I just went with what looked more active by the devs tbh.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: February 07, 2024, 01:40:49 pm »

The big difference between Unlimited and Online was the mods in Unlimited. People added features that were in online only, but they worked and weren't half-baked like they had been implemented in online.  Also, some mods people made in unlimited ended up as features in online at some point.

I haven't played either since support on Unlimited was dropped, but I had way more fun as a Wurm vet on servers without priest restrictions, and increased skill gain and decreased timers.  I just don't have time for the grind.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: February 07, 2024, 05:58:13 pm »

I logged on and my wurm account on steam was banned (only the wurm part not the steam part). After looking into it, apparently my debit was stolen so all funds were blocked and the payment I did with Wurm reversed/got declined so...they banned it.

That was really short lived lol.

No idea who had my debit, but all I can think is when I bought slushies at a gas station xD Was an old fashion machine there without the scanner sadly. Cause all the purchases were rather localized, up from down where I live and then a spending spree as they went northward.

Didnt even know, cause wasnt really spending too much attention till my bank alerted me. happened all last night and part of yesterday, which means person held onto my debit for a week xD I didnt use it on anything shady online, just steam and wurm+the gas station

Either way, shortest lived online game I've played that I actually kinda enjoyed. Oh well got lots of other games

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 07, 2024, 09:32:23 pm »

There is no way to appeal this ban? That doesn't sound like your fault.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 08, 2024, 08:29:04 am »

There is no way to appeal this ban? That doesn't sound like your fault.
I dunno how to contact support tbh, there isn't a support section on their website. but yesterday I was sure ticked my debit got stolen lol. I sounded kinda like I was making light of it (thats what I do instead of getting angry xD), but it was actually pretty frustrating.

Either way, if I find how to contact them I'll give it an attempt.

(edit:

What? My account is still playable.

I tried today and I got on just fine. I swear yesterday it refused to let me on my account, didn't hallucinate it or have a nightmare (or don't think I did xD) lol.

All good I guess? I still have my silver I bought for my deed too and my deed is there...but I do see my bank said the charge failed on the wurm purchase

(update)

Well whatever happened, maybe I misunderstood why I couldn't log onto my account. It didnt say banned, just kept giving me a weird error and account could not be found. Maybe a server bug...

Either way, hobbiton is nomore. The name didnt fit, and I didnt want to be in the mountains. Or rather, my friend who I got to play didn't want to be in the mountains and found a new place. He didnt like how far away and how hard it was to get down. On the map, he went north to the ocean, and found a huge abandoned place. Smelters, ovens, forge. And the best part, clay, peat and moss all on one tile :O So we setup settlement there. Comes with a free monument too lol

We named it carthage, cause kinda like carthage in history, and also whoever had the place made an actual port...so...actually pretty fitting
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 10:52:21 am by The_Explorer »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45